No announcement yet.

do the young ones like older sport bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say guys, Im only 32, and I thought that I was a bit of an oddball in liking the old stuff. I am GREATLY encouraged by some of you younger guys that respect the vintage stuff. It makes me truly happy, and gives me hope that as long as there are people like you, and hopefully more of you, maybe they will start turning out some of those awesome nakeds and standards that Europe gets and we dont because "no one" over here likes the old stuff....

Comment

I bought a helmet from a young guy in Des Moines last weekend and asked him what he had for a bike. He said a 2006 triumph but didn't even know if it had 3 or 4 cylinders...end of conversation. I just bought a 1979 GS850 and hope to post some pictures soon of a classic with some character.

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
        Shoot...I'd even take a HD if it came free of charge...
        I'd take just about anything free of charge. Oh, wait! I already did!! Not much now, but the FJ plastic machine should be some fun. My first bike that's actually younger than me! Only by 2 years though.

As for folks around here, lots of people I know have old(er) bikes. Stuff from the 80's mostly, a few from the 70's. Gas stations is where I get most of my comments. Lots of folks think my XS is a "new model", until I tell them it's 30 years old. They look at me with a stupid look on their face, too embarrassed to go on. Usually youngins and older folks that like bikes, but don't have one, and don't posses any knowledge about them.

I usually get the middle aged guys come up to me, say "Nice bike! Used to have one of them way back in the day. That part right there isn't original, is it?"

Can't say I've had any young throttle-happy whipper-snappers try to race me. I guess they just think it isn't worth while to even try. We both know the outcome. There's been a few guys on HD's though. Either they don't know how to ride, or their bikes are only making 20HP.

Comment

Im 24 love my bike never been one for the newer crotchrockets. but I ride with people that ride crotchrockets metric cruisers and harleys. I guess kansas is the only place with kind people.

Comment

Originally posted by not a biker View Post
            a 82 gs 1100ez is one beautyful motorcycle time less. my 84 gs1150 es with that locomotive light and all that plastic is not as pretty. but it is the first gs i found in very good shape so i took it. i had a new 82 gs1100 and it will always be my all time fav.
            While you might not be a biker, you do have good taste.

Tony.
            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I am 33 and I have no interest in owning a crotch rocket. I get nods from 90% of bikers in philly regardless of what they are on. I get more toll both operators admiring my bike than anyone else.

My GS650G was my first bike (1.5 years ago), and my first learning curve into motorcycle matenance and repair. I think working on my bike has been the biggest charm of owning a vintage UJM. I have about a dozen other hobbies I take seriously, but my obsession with these suzukis, has become, ridiculous. I blame this forum

Comment

I have about a dozen other hobbies I take seriously, but my obsession with these suzukis, has become, ridiculous. I blame this forum[/quote]

You can say that again.
                85 1150E

Comment

I had just shined up my 1150 and took it out. I was at the 7-11 and a young kid walked up, looking over my bike. He says "Wow, that's nice! I haven't seen that one yet...is it a 2008?" I laughed and told him it was an '85. He was floored, and said "Wow, that's 1 year older than me!"

Personally, I like them all...new and old. If it has two wheels I like it. I still want an old water buffalo. And a new Busa.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                    I had just shined up my 1150 and took it out. I was at the 7-11 and a young kid walked up, looking over my bike. He says "Wow, that's nice! I haven't seen that one yet...is it a 2008?" I laughed and told him it was an '85. He was floored, and said "Wow, that's 1 year older than me!"
                    Considering your 1150 looks like you just rode it home new from the dealership, I can where that 22 year old is coming from...

Comment

I am amongst the younger crowd(I am 25) and I love my 81 750. I must confess that I did buy a 2000 GSXR this year and I am just as happy with that bike.

The 1981

The 2000\

Comment

Originally posted by hvfracingwilly View Post
                        I am amongst the younger crowd(I am 25) and I love my 81 750. I must confess that I did buy a 2000 GSXR this year and I am just as happy with that bike.\
                        Looking at that Gixxer pic, I can't say I blame you at all ...

Comment

Originally posted by hvfracingwilly View Post
                          I am amongst the younger crowd(I am 25) and I love my 81 750. I must confess that I did buy a 2000 GSXR this year and I am just as happy with that bike.

Hmmmmmm, what's under that cover in the garage? Could take a pretty good guess, but I'd rather you showed us.

Comment

I'm 23.. but i'm an oddball so I don't count. most of my friend wouldn't appreciate an old sportbike.

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
                              ....other hobbies I take seriously, but my obsession with these suzukis, has become, ridiculous. I blame this forum
                              Yes this forum has helped me spend countless hours reading, re-reading.....reading again......list goes on.....love every minute of it

I am now 27.... my bike is 28 =)
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2008, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Im amongst the younger crowd (23) and love older bikes but most of the guys my age wouldn't be caught dead on it. They all like the gixxiers and cbrs. Now my neighbor who is 40something bout had a heart attack when he came running over first time i pulled it out of the garage. He had a GS when he was my age.

Comment

Working...
                                X