No announcement yet.

Rectifier/Regulator replacement list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks like a well designed PM 3 phase alternator. Note the size of the wires in the stator and R/R .

I wonder if they upped the output with some stronger magnets

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      looks like a well designed PM 3 phase alternator.
      Pos, thats from Accel. Looks like everything they have is for a Hardley. Didnt see any listed for a UJM.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

So I got a stupid ? For you guys. Would a rectifier off a later model gs work on my 400? There are a bunch on egay right now and I want to ride sometime this season. Like so cal has a riding season ! LOL

Comment

Post a link to one of the Ebay items.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Finished my FH010BA upgrade. Came off an '08 ZX-14 with 4k miles on it, feel sorry for the bike, and used insulated connectors with the factory harness off the old R/R. Works perfectly, though the test ride with the multimeter in my lap was awkward. Also, the 550ES really has no decent mounting place for a larger R/R, so it's tucked between the battery box and fender for the moment.

Comment

An update. My FH-012AA arrived and I installed it as per the diagram posted. It bolted up with a bit of coaxing using the original holes and screws. At an idle, I have around 12.8 volts. At 4000 it sits at 14.20 or so. A vast improvement over the 17 volts I had before.
              I want to thank all of the members who posted all the information that let me both repair my bike and save me money and aggravation in the bargain. This is a terrific site with some very 'in the know' members.
              Now if I can only find a solution to the hard seat issue, I will be fat cattin it.
              Once again, thanks to all and happy cruisin'.

Comment

Originally posted by gsinmaine View Post
                An update. My FH-012AA arrived and I installed it as per the diagram posted. It bolted up with a bit of coaxing using the original holes and screws. At an idle, I have around 12.8 volts. At 4000 it sits at 14.20 or so. A vast improvement over the 17 volts I had before.
                I want to thank all of the members who posted all the information that let me both repair my bike and save me money and aggravation in the bargain. This is a terrific site with some very 'in the know' members.
                Now if I can only find a solution to the hard seat issue, I will be fat cattin it.
                Once again, thanks to all and happy cruisin'.
                Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

[QUOTE Now if I can only find a solution to the hard seat issue, I will be fat cattin it. QUOTE]
                  Remove the seat cover, measure the width and length, check out knoxfoam.com's website, order suitable slab of tempurpedic foam to replace material removed from stock seat, install purchased foam. Your butt will crack a smile from being so happy.
                  Willie in TN
                  Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                  '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                  '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                  '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

found a "sh541-12 12v" in what was left of an intruder of unknown year or size. At the most unlikely place the auto salvage yard. Pick your part has a small area of bikes, about four bikes on average. I sometimes forget how Irish I really am. Not only was this the only reg/rec in the pile but it was on the list and functioning. Lucky me!! $14.95 out the door!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by briyenkieth View Post
                      found a "sh541-12 12v" in what was left of an intruder of unknown year or size. At the most unlikely place the auto salvage yard. Pick your part has a small area of bikes, about four bikes on average. I sometimes forget how Irish I really am. Not only was this the only reg/rec in the pile but it was on the list and functioning. Lucky me!! $14.95 out the door!!!!!

That was a good find. The SH541 is well proven as good replacement on the GS bikes. Let us know how it works.

Comment

I'm now getting 13.6 at idle and topping out at 14.65. Way better than the 15-16 volts I was getting just of idle.

Comment

Originally posted by briyenkieth View Post
                          I'm now getting 13.6 at idle and topping out at 14.65. Way better than the 15-16 volts I was getting just of idle.
                          There you go! Well done.

Comment

GS 700ES R/R Replacement

This was from a post I did awhile ago, Long story short I to have had good luck with my E-bay R/R. It's not the stock one but it works well. I just got my bike running and did a quick voltage check at the battery and was getting 13.4/7 volts and just slightly a bit more when reving the motor. Again this was a very quick check but I think I;m good to go. (Thats after I seal the tank, and replace the back tire)

I to had issues last year at the end of the season. I noticed one night (yes night) all of a sudden my Low beam blew out, I just put a new one in less than 3-4 months eariler ?? Starting checking my charging system (first checking the batt voltage at idle/2000 or so) and sure enough it was not regulating. Found this 1100 R/R on e-bay one night (LATE) and once it arrived I noticed the size difference ?? Whoops I havent tried it yet but the STATOR papers and electro sport checks will be being done this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Rkt-Rch View Post
                              This was from a post I did awhile ago, Long story short I to have had good luck with my E-bay R/R. It's not the stock one but it works well. I just got my bike running and did a quick voltage check at the battery and was getting 13.4/7 volts and just slightly a bit more when reving the motor.

Rkt-Rch,
                              I am unfamiliar with these and would have guessed them not to be OEM for either the GS700 or the GS1100 and fitted by a PO. The smaller one is very likely a lower current rated R/R and the larger one may be able to handle the current of the GS700.

If the larger one is about 25A rated you should not have any problems and it should be perfect.

Using a 20A rated one and lower (possibly the smaller one) starts becoming a bit of a gamble and could be the cause of early failure.

Ride around a bit with lights off and lights on if possible and feel if it is getting excessively hot and give us some feedback.

Could you possibly give us the number printed on the one you fitted?

Thanks

Comment

mating connectors for FHA11AA

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

I installed the Fh012AA unit on my '79 850g. I purchased the electrical connectors here
                                http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...FKWH/fkwh.html

Look for "Furukawa .250 connectors, three position". Worked great and is waterproof and easily installed.

Comment

Working...
                                X