No announcement yet.

build a motorcycle workbench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I want to make a table or platform about six inches high, you roll the bike on, tie it down and then jack one end up with a floor jack, drop the two legs on that end and then jack up the other end, drop two more legs. So the whole thing ends up about two feet high, but easy to load even a large bike with only one person.
    Got it pictured in my head, hard to describe.
    Anyone seen anything like this?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by drhermanstein View Post
      I built my own lift and bench

OMG i want your workshop.

jealous much

Comment

I built mine out of an old cabinet my landlord needed to get rid of when I moved in. He lagged getting it out of my garage so it became my bike stand and my work bench. Felt pretty slick when I did it, laid my circular saw on the floor sideways and walked around the base while my brother in law held up the end. Made a wonderful sound when I tipped it over in the garage. This thing was huge, 8' tall 4' wide. Kaboom! I'll take a few pics of the garage and edit them in later. Nothing as sweet as some of the spots seen so far but it's my sanctuary. ( must say it like the hunch back )

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          OK, I want to make a table or platform about six inches high, you roll the bike on, tie it down and then jack one end up with a floor jack, drop the two legs on that end and then jack up the other end, drop two more legs. So the whole thing ends up about two feet high, but easy to load even a large bike with only one person.
          Haven't seen anything just like this, but I've got essentially the same idea. I have one the the Harbor Freight lifts, and I want to build a table that the lift can roll under and pick up to a good working level befor putting the leg extensions on. I had a sketch and parts list (lost when my wife cleaned one day). It'll end up being between a third and half the cost of just buying one of the lift tables from HF, and heavy as hell to move out of the way. I may just save for the HF lift table, since I'd really like the removable panel for pulling the rear wheel off. In the end, it might be better from a time/cost viewpoint to just buy and beef up an existing lift.
          JP
          1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
          1992 Concours
          2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
          2007 FJR

Comment

Someone like you that has plenty of money should just go PURCHASE a proper lift. This thread is for the pofolk...like me, that likes do do things on the cheap!
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Skid what do you use to actuate the lift? i can see where it's articulated on the bottom pivot points, do you use a winch? I couldn't tell from the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Someone like you that has plenty of money should just go PURCHASE a proper lift. This thread is for the pofolk...like me, that likes do do things on the cheap!
                Any moron can buy something that would work.
                Much more interesting to make exactly what you want.
                What I want would go flat against a wall when it's not in use, and be about three feet by eight. Haven't seen these for sale.
                I don't have plenty of money, I just ****ed it all away on another bike!

P.S., I don't think there is any such thing as "plenty of money"

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Any moron can buy something that would work.
                  Much more interesting to make exactly what you want.
                  What I want would go flat against a wall when it's not in use, and be about three feet by eight. Haven't seen these for sale.
                  I don't have plenty of money, I just ****ed it all away on another bike!

P.S., I don't think there is any such thing as "plenty of money"
                  try this table:

it disassembles easy to fold against your wall-plywood construction.

I'd try a more durable table that doubles as a work table, I put mine to good use:

Comment

cheaper alternative

I bought this handy little stool at Sam's for $20.00. All of my tool boxes and work stations are on wheels which allows me to work low without destroying my knees, it also has a convienent tool tray with a magnetic pad for parts. This way I can scoot from tool box to bike to tool box..biggest problem is trying to keep my three year old away from it!!
                    The other nice thing is you can wheel everything between the bikes when your done.....done?? hah what's that?

Comment

Originally posted by drhermanstein View Post
                      I built my own lift and bench

write-up, please. that lift/bench is awesome.

Comment

This is my table.

Explore turnerfamily_2001’s 7 photos on Flickr!

Comment

This is my workbench

Explore turnerfamily_2001’s 7 photos on Flickr!

Comment

I like that first one quite a bit. It's simple and easy.

I need something like this, seeing as I'm always tooling on my Ninja. I'm sure my GS will keep me busy with the wrench for a while, too.

I have some decent stands, but I could use something like this to actually get the bike to a level that is more comfortable to actually work on.

Comment

**** I can't do any of this stuff...my garage is 15X18 and is currently occupied by an FZR600, a XS750 Seca, a CR250 dirtbike, a YFZ350 Bandshee, a DT175, and my GS750...and only one of those things is mind :s

Comment

Working...
                              X