Progressive Springs question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive Springs question.

Hey I am installing some progressive springs in my 1980 GS850G and my springs didn't come with the chart about how big to make the spacer. Could someone just tell me how big the pvc should be. I believe an inch and a half but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks

Depends on your weight, if you ride two up and riding style. I'm a big guy and cut the PCV pipe so it stuck out of the end of the fork about an 1 3/4 inch.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks

I weigh about 150 and I often ride with my girlfriend. Right now I am using 1.5in pvc spacers. Should that be enough for my girlfriend and I, while also allowing me to have some fun on my own?

Comment

Here is a link to the instructions in case you do not have them. It shows the spacer even with the top of the fork tube as standard. As Chef said you can make the spacer length above the tube to customize for your weight & riding style. I went with the even with the top of the tube spacer on mine and it worked fine but I primarily ride one up. Maybe start about 3/4" to 1" up from the tube and see how you like it. You can always cut it down if it seems too firm or lengthen it if too soft. It will take extra pressure to push the cap in the more spacer length above the tube you go so be careful when threading the cap back in.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
        AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

The overall length doesn't mean anything to me because the spacers are different in all the models. You need to concentrate on the amount of PVC that sticks out of the top of the fork. Make sure they are the exact same size and also your cuts on the pipe are even or you will have a bear of a time getting the caps to thread with uneven cuts.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Bill's right as usual... on my 1000G I think 70mm brought them level to the topr of forks so that's 1" preload (or basically the amount of thread on the cap (or was it 42mm) on my Skunk I had them stand about 1/2" proud as I wanted to stiffen them up a little.

Both ride well, the G is definitely noticeably softer but not much (& it has more miles on them, they do "bed in" a bit.

I'm 165. STock 15w oil 140mm level below the top of fork.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

These guys will get you close, but what really matters is how much the suspension "sags" when you put your weight on it. The general rule of thumb is that you don't want to use up more than about 25% of your travel just getting on the bike. Most forks have about 6 inches of travel, so you want to see the forks compress no more than 1.5 inches when you are on the bike, ready to ride. Depending on the fork spring rate, accessories on the bike and your weight, it is possible that the forks will not compress at all until you get on. That's OK. If they compress more than 1.5 inch, use a longer spacer for more preload. You may have to make a few spacers before you get it right. I don't think that carrying a passenger will affect fork compression very much until you hit the brakes.

Same 25% rule applies to rear suspension. Most shocks have about 4 inches of travel, so adjust "sag" to be about 1 inch. Check it with your passenger, too, so you know how much to adjust for her. If you use Progressive (brand) shocks and springs on the rear, be aware that they have several different spring rates, so you can customize them to your needs.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                These guys will get you close, but what really matters is how much the suspension "sags" when you put your weight on it. The general rule of thumb is that you don't want to use up more than about 25% of your travel just getting on the bike. Most forks have about 6 inches of travel, so you want to see the forks compress no more than 1.5 inches when you are on the bike, ready to ride. Depending on the fork spring rate, accessories on the bike and your weight, it is possible that the forks will not compress at all until you get on. That's OK. If they compress more than 1.5 inch, use a longer spacer for more preload. You may have to make a few spacers before you get it right. I don't think that carrying a passenger will affect fork compression very much until you hit the brakes.

Same 25% rule applies to rear suspension. Most shocks have about 4 inches of travel, so adjust "sag" to be about 1 inch. Check it with your passenger, too, so you know how much to adjust for her. If you use Progressive (brand) shocks and springs on the rear, be aware that they have several different spring rates, so you can customize them to your needs.

+1. Generally, if you sit on the bike and the forks compress approx' 1 to 1 1/2", you're good.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by climber_dhl View Post
                  I weigh about 150 and I often ride with my girlfriend. Right now I am using 1.5in pvc spacers. Should that be enough for my girlfriend and I, while also allowing me to have some fun on my own?

Fitted a set progressive fork springs to my Gs1000s but could never get them to
                  work properly so went back to a 15wt oil and 12psi in each leg.
                  my question is about using PVc for the spaces,what if one broke on you?.
                  me and wife way about 30stone between us.

Comment

Originally posted by gshub View Post
                    Since you are measuring your graviational attraction in "stones", I'm guessing that your location is Norwich, UK, not Norwich, CT.

Not sure what your standards are for PVC piping, but over here we have a standard grade called Schedule 40 and a thicker grade called Schedule 80. The thicker pipe should have no problem with the compression loads of the forks. The thinner stuff will probably work, too, but your best bet is to select the largest diameter that will fit into the fork tubes, and use a flat washer between the PVC and the spring.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by gshub View Post
                      The stuff to get is what they lay underground for water mains. Trouble is you can only buy it in something like 50 metre rolls and you only need a few inches! You need to be ready with a hacksaw next time you see the road dug up
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

This is what the Progressives ship with. I have used the pipe and washers setup without any problems. I kept the stock spacer and washer and stacked the PVC and new washer on top of them for the preload. I have not heard of anyone that has had a problem with the PVC spacer set up. As long as your spacers are even lengths and cut square I think you should be fine.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                        AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Here's an extreme example of the amount of preload I need -- I'm roughly (cough) 19 stone with gear, and I ride like a bat outta you-know-where.

Don't try this at home -- most normal people will never need this much preload, but after several rounds of experimentation, that's what it takes for me. I used aluminum pipe here, since that's what I had lying around, but PVC works fine:

It takes a LOT of bad words to mash this down and get the caps to thread in:

Bingo -- about 25mm sag:

The happy result:
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            Here's an extreme example of the amount of preload I need -- I'm roughly (cough) 19 stone with gear, and I ride like a bat outta you-know-where.....
                            There was an AC/DC groupie named Rosie who weighed that much. Bon Scott immortalized her in song.....

The Progressive spring kit for the '80-'82 GS750E doesn't have any spacers with it. When installed, the springs stick out above the top of the tubes about 1 1/4". It is a royal PITA to get those caps on.

Ride is firm but not harsh at all. Sag is about .875" for my (cough) 14 stone 7 lb weight.
                            Last edited by Griffin; 12-21-2008, 01:32 AM.
                            sigpic

SUZUKI:
                            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Dang Brian, that's more preload than I use.

Comment

Working...
                              X