$1 Quick Turn Throttle Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
    too bad all the pics disappeared. this would be good for a write up/ tutorial.
    Look at the first post

I just cut a piece of 1" schedule 40 PVC water pipe about 10mm wide and then cut a section out of the ring and it fits right around the throttle tube and is captured inside of the right hand housing. You can glue it as well but not nessesary and no worries about it falling out or glue breaking.

To be clear by adding the PVC pipe you are increasing the radius that the cable pulls on. That means you have to turn the throttle tube through a smaller angle (20% less) to pull in the same length of cable. It also makes it a little harder to turn by 20% harder.

Merry Xmas for that less than $0.25 performance upgrade

Throttle tube goes from 29.6mm dia to 37.5 mm WOT throttle twist drops by 20%. Here is a pic of how much total rotation is required for 0 to WOT on my 81 GS750EX

Comment

I have been meaning to post up that I have done this a year ago and it has been working great for me.
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Note to Maro. I find that the throttle rocker puts pressure on just the worst spot on the wrist to aggravate my Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I'm hoping this little gizmo will reduce that pressure. Especially on long rides.[/QUOTE]

I have the same issues,i wrap a hair tie around between the grip and the housing, makes for to haveto manualy return the throttle.some find it dangerouse, i have yet to have an issue.got used to it. however with this a teather would be a good idea in case i go down the engine doesn't wring out.

Comment

whats the opinion on this mod with those people that do long trips? i also have problems with my wrist, couple accidents and curputunel dont help

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Russian View Post
            whats the opinion on this mod with those people that do long trips? i also have problems with my wrist, couple accidents and curputunel dont help
            I find it more comfortable as it takes less movement for throttle adjustments and is actually more precise in throttle-on-throttle-off in twisties. This is with my 1166 so don't worry about over sensitivities to throttle input

Comment

Is there any glue involved here? How does it stay attached?

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamGLX81 View Post
                Is there any glue involved here? How does it stay attached?
                see first post....

but I highlited it here for you...

cheap alternative to the R1 throttle tube mod no reason to buy new tubes or grips and it can be installed in about 10 minutes.

I just cut a piece of 1" schedule 40 PVC water pipe about 10mm wide and then cut a section out of the ring and it fits right around the throttle tube and is captured inside of the right hand housing. You can glue it as well but not nessesary and no worries about it falling out or glue breaking.

To be clear by adding the PVC pipe you are increasing the radius that the cable pulls on. That means you have to turn the throttle tube through a smaller angle (20% less) to pull in the same length of cable. It also makes it a little harder to turn by 20% harder

Comment

No, no glue needed... the piece is captured within the throttle housing & can't slip off.

I believe I have read here where some members have carved a groove around the piece for the throttle cable to sit in, but that's not necessary, I didn't do it & it's been working fine in my 1100E for many years.
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                  '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I later went back and re-read the first post. Thanks! I didn't have a piece of 1" pvc to work with, so I took a slice off a piece of 3-ish inch pvc and bent it into a slightly smaller diameter circle, filed a ramp and groove into it, and glued it in place with ABS pipe cement. I think it'll stay on relatively well.

Comment

Unfortunately pictures are disappearing from this thread.

Comment

I heard the throttle modification adds ten horsepower to the motorcycle??
                        My Motorcycles:
                        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)
                        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Only if you use red PVC.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

simple and elegant. brilliant

Comment

Working...