No announcement yet.

Low Cost / High Performance GS1100E Head work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pos, Your post got me off my butt to look for some old photos of my head work. I love looking at heads; cars / bikes doesn't matter....

I'll add my results as another data point to your post. My numbers may be a little shy of your objectives:

82 GS1100ez, 1134 Yosh Stage I pistons with Yosh Stage I cams, RS38 Flat slides, Dyna 2000 ignition, street ported head, stock valves, 120 hp.

At the time HMP didn't have a dyno so I had two quick runs done at another shop to dial in the jetting. I think HMP could find a few more ponies in my set up now that they have a dyno in their shop. So I think 130+ hp with 1168 should be realistic.

They left a couple of valves out to let me take these photos but the carb boots had already been cleaned up and mated to the head so I don't have a good pic of the port work.

By the way this is my first time using the sites pic storage capability, seems to work great.

I can't see photobucket photos in posts when I view them at work so this may be a good alternative.

Comment

No more photo bucket

Thats great. I'll have to use it more.

Remember the numbers I'm quoting are not based on any of my own experience just what I have been told. But taking that as read, seems that you small stock intake valve, may be the limiting factor in your setup. Of course 1134 v.s. 1166 makes some difference, by the flow increase achievable with the larger valves and port work is where the increase comes from.

Do you remember any of the specifics of the valve job/head work. Three angle or radius cut? blend the guides ? Talking to Terry there is alot of hp available in the port work. You have plenty of carburetor there with the RS38's .

At 120 you probably mean rear wheel as you should have enough there to push you over the top of stock 1150 performance.

Pos

Comment

Pos, As you can see this was an older 150 model Dynamometer. The shop was recording air/fuel but didn't record it on the slip which is too bad, they also didn't record torque.

The main change was leaner main jet size. HMP suggested that would be the right direction but didn't want to do it without proof on a dyno.

You can't put too much stock in total HP from one Dyno to another. They are great for checking changes on the same bike. Just the difference in ambient temps that day could effect things.

I checked my receipt and don't have a record of whether it was 3 or 5 angle or radiuss. I'm gonna stop in soon about my spare head so I'll ask what they were using then. I know their current machine is full radiuss. Maybe one of our tuners will know just from looking at pic. The head was decked a small amount to increase compression.

I agree that its possible the RS38s are too much for my set up. They seem to work great though. Would be nice to see numbers with RS36s or VM33s but I hate to mess with a good thing.

Comment

Hell, I went 9.0s on motor on a 68" nobar katana "street" bike with a 1428cc and a 28.5/24 1100 head. Sprayed it to 8.30s. And... I am 220 + pounds.

With a 31/27 Belluci head went 8.70s on motor and 7.80s on the kit. I took a fewyears off and am going out again this year with a 1500 and the same 31/27 head, looking for 8.50s on muscle. (Took the spray off, the bike was handling weird with 350+hp)

My busa only goes 9.40s

GSs can still run. I know that a busa with a similar setup to mine will run 7s on motor, but so what? a new LS7 vette will smack a 67 435 horse vette too, but I would take the 67.

Comment

GSs can still run. I know that a busa with a similar setup to mine will run 7s on motor, but so what? a new LS7 vette will smack a 67 435 horse vette too, but I would take the 67.
            67 vette ? In a heart beat .

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Always been the 63 split window that turned me on but I know they don't offer as much performance. Judging by the last Barret Jackson numbers I'm not alone in my lust.

Comment

Truth be told,

Always been the 63 split window that turned me on but I know they don't offer as much performance. Judging by the last Barret Jackson numbers I'm not alone in my lust.
                I would rather have the 64 or 65 rag top vette .
                Carburated 365 hp 327 suites me fine.

Pos

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  I had a 67 vette 427 with tri power. I agree with ya. I have a slightly modified crossfire srt6 that will eat most any muscle car of the era. Amazing what a modern super charged v-6 can do.

Comment

I've got a 1.4 liter that will eat almost every Vette on the road! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      I've got a 1.4 liter that will eat almost every Vette on the road! Ray.
                      Some form of a Busa Ray????

Comment

Come on! This is a GS site!!! I have a 1.4 liter GS!!! LOL!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris View Post
                          I had a 67 vette 427 with tri power. I agree with ya. I have a slightly modified crossfire srt6 that will eat most any muscle car of the era. Amazing what a modern super charged v-6 can do.
                          Some people think they are fast, but they do not even know what fast is.
                          We are all aware of the new stuff out there and this site is not for the new stuff. We are here for vintage Suzukis.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                            Some form of a Busa Ray????
                            Probably a corvair or however you spell it

Comment

GS1100ED Head update

Wanted to show some of the results of this thread and teh work Terry at headsbikesmopars did

I sent a bone stock head 24 bolt head (15K miles on it) to Terry to up the horsepower on my GS1100ED. I was planning on an 1168 cc BB kit and wanted to wring a few more horsehower out of the puppy, but not ruin the driveability for the street. I wanted to put out more than a stock 1150, but not turn my bike into a rip snorting monster.

I could have gone 28.5/24mm v.s. just doing the stock 1150 intake valves; I could have gone Web 0.348" lift v.s. the 0.340's ; I could have degreed the cams for 110/110 instead of 105/107 . If I had i would be measuring out a 6" over swing arm as this baby already easily lift the front wheel in 1st and 2nd gear. And that is with SLOW roll ons and NO 1/4 turn throttle. Of course SLOW is relative as redline comes up pretty quick.

Terry went to town to create a wonderful street head. He pushed the CFM up from stock about 78 CFM to about 95 cfm at my usable lift. He used 28mm 1150 intakes, backcut the valves and ported as shown in the pics. Bill (Chef) thought it was an aggressive port (I don't know), but the bike runs great. Idles very strong, pulls very strong and has lots of low end grunt.

Funny thing is Bill and I run near identical bikes. Main differences are the heads and where the cams are degreed. I think we would run pretty close. Of course he has a few pounds on me. One big difference is he is running 150's and now stepped up to 152.5 on his BS36 CV's. I'm running the same DJ kit but my mains are only 145 same BS36 CV's. Both have 1168, 4:1, Pods, Dyna, 0.340 web cams.

I also attached a plot of the flow results that Terry provided. You can see the before (stock head) and after the porting job. There was well over a 20% increase in flow rate. The step up in the intake valve size can be seen at low lift, while the exhaust showed no impact. As the lift exceeds 0.150 you see the affect of the porting on both sides.

Because of the rush to get to the Julian GSXR trip, there was alot of fiddling to get the carbs right (mostly self inflicted). As it turns out the carbs are very close to where Chef (Bill) set them in the first place and the bike runs great. I still need to readjust the valves , balance the carbs and tweak the idle mixture a little but it runs very nice despite lacking final tweaks. After getting back from Julian (when it was not jetted right), I have made a couple of trips up onto Camino Ceilo. This is basically a narrow mountain road of mostly turns at between 15-30 mphs with speeds seldom exceeding 50 mph. Not someplace you want an unpredictable throttle. The bike is very predictable even though it is a 4000 ft climb from sea level. Idles great, instant response and pulls very strong.

(Camino Ceilo = Sky Road in Spanish)

Anyway wanted to let everybody know how well the head turned out and thank Terry for putting in the extra effort to make this a such a great head and how drivable the bike remains. Also thans to Chef for going all out to get my bike ready for the Julian trip. My ED has benefited much from just following his configuration.

Jim

Last edited by posplayr; 04-28-2009, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Kudos to Terry!
                                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                                X