Low Cost / High Performance GS1100E Head work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedLiner1100 View Post
    posplayr, how has your bike been running?

I would like to build my 1100e head with the same 28/23 valve sizes and similar port work. My question is would there be any advantage starting with a complete low mile 1150 head rather than my 1100 head which I believe should be in decent shape as it is also low miles?

I plan to do the 1168 kit and change to the Web .340 cams anyway.

Rapid Ray would probably know better, but from what I have seen you can make a 1100 head flow just as well as any 1150 head it just takes a bit more porting/flow work. My head is well beyond even a stock 1150 but it is not extreme.

If you are going to get the porting done "cheap", then the 1150 head is worth a lot more than a 1100E head. The 1150 head has a better valve cover but then it will not look stock.

Comment

Low Cost? Head Work?
      Well..I haven't found too much cheap yet. If you want a good over 140 cfm head plus some money involved but these previous head tips are great for a street bike Motor. The Kibble Whites have really gone up in Price from what they used to be. I do know if you ever overheat over rev your stock valves its a good idea to replace them asap. One piece valves are best. I wonder on these posts when reading about radius valve jobs ,,??.. Are they doing intake also as well as exhaust seats? I have always only ever done exhausts radius and intakes always angle cut. Just wondering Thanx Mike

Comment

Yes on the radius valve jobs Mike, both sides. Better air flow than even a 5 angle. With a Serdi cutter, the whole valve job is done in 1 cut.
        Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by madmikeracing View Post
          Low Cost? Head Work?
          Well..I haven't found too much cheap yet. If you want a good over 140 cfm head plus some money involved but these previous head tips are great for a street bike Motor. The Kibble Whites have really gone up in Price from what they used to be. I do know if you ever overheat over rev your stock valves its a good idea to replace them asap. One piece valves are best. I wonder on these posts when reading about radius valve jobs ,,??.. Are they doing intake also as well as exhaust seats? I have always only ever done exhausts radius and intakes always angle cut. Just wondering Thanx Mike
          140 CFM is not really a "grocery getter". The thread is for street heads in the 100 cfm area. FYI for other street heads are usually under 80 cfm.

Comment

No NOT Grocery Getter Pizza Getter,,,With rear seat rack lots of bungees. Gotta get it home quick while they're Hot!!!! Also must be capable of evading police Pursuit,,,!! ha ha Just Kidding I would never .....

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Rapid Ray would probably know better, but from what I have seen you can make a 1100 head flow just as well as any 1150 head it just takes a bit more porting/flow work. My head is well beyond even a stock 1150 but it is not extreme.

If you are going to get the porting done "cheap", then the 1150 head is worth a lot more than a 1100E head. The 1150 head has a better valve cover but then it will not look stock.
              Yeah, I like the look of the original 1100 head with the black cam caps compared to the 1150. This will be next winters project anyway so I have plenty of time to decide my course of action. Just getting a jump on the planning stages as I saw a nice 1150 head for sale and was wondering if I should pick it up or not if I couldn't get the same performance out of my 1100 head.

Comment

Hey Jim, Had a friend send his '83 1100 head to Paul Gast for head work. With OS valves (28.5/24.0) . Said it was a full on port job, the flow chart said 105 cfm @ .500. Paid big money too. He brought it over and I put it on my bench...Disappointed ! It maxed out 95.0 @ .500 lift. (10") . WOW!! The guides had been flushed with port roof like what I did on your head but were driven down into port .040 (1 mm) after, so they were not flush at all but well into the air flow along the roof of the port. Not knocking any one. Paul is a friend of mine ..just FYI thought you would like to know.

Terry
                1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Originally posted by headsbikesmopars View Post
                  Hey Jim, Had a friend send his '83 1100 head to Paul Gast for head work. With OS valves (28.5/24.0) . Said it was a full on port job, the flow chart said 105 cfm @ .500. Paid big money too. He brought it over and I put it on my bench...Disappointed ! It maxed out 95.0 @ .500 lift. (10") . WOW!! The guides had been flushed with port roof like what I did on your head but were driven down into port .040 (1 mm) after, so they were not flush at all but well into the air flow along the roof of the port. Not knocking any one. Paul is a friend of mine ..just FYI thought you would like to know.

Terry
                  The numbers speak for themselves Terry, You do great work and are more than fair on price.

Comment

Have to be cautious who does youre work. So many money grabbers out there. Mike

Comment

Superbike decisions

I own an 83 GS1100E ,84 GS1150ES, 83 GPZ1100, 02 BUSA and I have to say that even though the busa will leave those other bikes far behind I end up on the 1100e or GPZ most of the time.I guess the feel of the old bikes is like others who love an older car . Heavy & when your really moving you know it, but when on the Busa you don't realize how fast you're going until you look at the speedometer. All amazing bikes to me.

Comment

Why are you posting what amounts to an intro in an old thread devoted to headwork?
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                        X