bolt and screw sizes embedded in Suzuki part number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bolt and screw sizes embedded in Suzuki part number

One of the things I learned from BWRINGER . .. hope he doesn't mind if I repost some of his text.

The lengths of the screws are embedded in the Suzuki part number, so you can usually figure them out from a fiche.

Here's an online fiche with real part numbers:
    http://flatoutmotorcycles.com/fiche_select.asp

As an example, on the clutch cover on a 1978 GS750, it appears to use two 6mm thread X 55mm length screws and eight 6mm thread X 20mm screws.

The 6X55mm screws:
    Part #: 02112-06557

The 6X20mm screws:
    Part #: 02112-06207

Note the first four digits in the second half of the part number.

In case you're wondering, you always leave the head out when you measure fasteners. The diameter is the width of the threads (NOT the size of the wrench or bolt head), and the length is the shank measured from under the head to the tip.

Phillips head (cross head) screws are just sick and wrong -- a terrible joke. I hate them.

Standard 6mm hex head bolts have 10mm heads, and are too big to be used on GS cases.

Allen head stainless steel screws (with antiseize applied) are the only way to go, unless you must have absolute historical accuracy. Regular steel rusts instantly.

You can also buy stainless allen head screws in bulk from several places. My favorite is McMaster-Carr:
    http://www.mcmaster.com

I've also ordered from MMS:
    http://www.mmsacc-stainless.com/

2008.12.22 edit to add more BWRINGER info

A couple of updates to that:

Another great source for stainless bolts is: http://boltdepot.com

Suzuki uses standard metric thread pitches up through 8mm:
    3mm x .5
    4mm x .7
    5mm X .8
    6mm X 1
    8mm X 1.25

When you get to 10mm fasteners, Suzuki usually uses fine pitch threads:
    10mm X 1.25
    12mm X 1.25

But when you get to fasteners this size, you don't really want to replace them with stainless anyway -- best to stick with the original fasteners. Stainless is strong, but brittle, and it's not a good idea to use it in heavily loaded suspension, frame, or brake components.

Suzuki brake banjo bolts are 10mm X 1.0mm threads.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by focus frenzy
    don't forget to make her pay for them!!

I was hoping it would give the size like the parts list does for the case bolts but it didn't.

I am pretty sure someone here knows what the sizes are off the top of their head, so you could go to a respectable hardware place instead of Suzuki as Suzuki is proud of their bolts.

one place I checked list the main bolt as not being available any more.

Hi Mr. mriddle,

Yes, I remember Mr. bwringer enlightening us with this information. Thanks for the reminder. I've added this information to my website in the Engine Odds and Ends section. You get contributor credit! That, and a dollar fifty, might get you a cup of coffee at Cracker Barrel.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It is very helpful and useful info. Those stupid phillips screws are a real pain.

If I had to list everything I learned from bwringer, I'd get typing cramps...
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the repost! Excellent info, especially the when using the FlatOutMotorCycles : I chose "print" and then saved to PDF

you see, I bought a GS650G last year : an unfinished father and son project where they'd removed the crankshaft to replace it ... but had tossed all the bolts into one tub! What can I say - I figured that for 130 Pounds it'd be a worthwhile learning experience ... and so far, it has ... thanks to the Clymer manual which was included in the deal

Cheers,
        Tricky

Comment

That's great info to know. Does anybody know if the Suzuki bearing numbers also contain either the bearing sizes or generic bearing number? I think Yamaha did but I'm really not sure about the Suzuki numbers. It would be nice if they did.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Welcome to the GSResources !!

Got any pics for us to see that GS650G ??

Originally posted by TrickyRicky View Post
            Hi all,

Thanks very much for the repost! Excellent info, especially the when using the FlatOutMotorCycles : I chose "print" and then saved to PDF

you see, I bought a GS650G last year : an unfinished father and son project where they'd removed the crankshaft to replace it ... but had tossed all the bolts into one tub! What can I say - I figured that for 130 Pounds it'd be a worthwhile learning experience ... and so far, it has ... thanks to the Clymer manual which was included in the deal

Cheers,
            Tricky

Comment

I know Brian has rattled off the stock numbers to wheel bearings and such.

Hopefully he will be along soon to share that with us again.

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
              That's great info to know. Does anybody know if the Suzuki bearing numbers also contain either the bearing sizes or generic bearing number? I think Yamaha did but I'm really not sure about the Suzuki numbers. It would be nice if they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                After perusing Flatout's microfiche, it doesn't look like the suzuki's parts numbers have any relation to the actual bearing size or their generic counterpart. Even though, I do notice that some of the bearings descriptions are marked with measurements which would allow cross referencing with generic bearings. Again I just checked Flatout site, other sites may have that info listed.

Also want to thank Mriddle and Brian (and BassCliff) for the info on bolts sizes, great observation. BC gets thanks for putting all of this info in one place, plus for being the unofficial greeter.

Comment

Hi,

I looked up the front wheel bearing for my 850 on AlphaSports parts fiche. Here's what I found:

Part# 08123-63027 Desc B1 15X42X13 BEA

Embedded in the Suzuki part number is the generic '6302' bearing number.

I collected some more information HERE.

Thank you for your induglence,

BassCliff

Comment

Good one BassCliff

I checked FLATOUT for my bikes and find the same

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    Hi,

I looked up the front wheel bearing for my 850 on AlphaSports parts fiche. Here's what I found:

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi,

BassCliff
                      Thanks for figuring that one out. I kind of thought that was the case but somehow that info got corrupted in my database. Sometimes old age sucks.
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

This is worthy of a "BUMP"!!

Comment

Working...
                        X