Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full face or other?

Hello All,

I am looking to purchase a new helmet. I currently have a half helmet (no shield just the top part of the head is protected) and I was wondering if you would care to share your thoughts about the helmet you are wearing.
    I am not a lover of full face helmet. I understand the better protection they offer. I am just wondering what you thing and maybe you can tell me what you are currently using or what is your favorite helmet.

Thanks much.

Search Helmets. I believe most everyone here prefers Fullface.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Don't own stock with either of these companies.... newenough.com and helmetcity.com I beleive it was. Oh ... Full Face Only for me.

--Nity-Al

Comment

i use a fullface right now but i really want to get my hands on a modular helmet. (so-called 'flip-face')

Comment

Full face - dirt and street, althought the dirt helmet isn't the same.

Why don't you like full face?

Comment

It depends on your concerns. The crotch rocket riders seem to plan on wrecking, leather suits, full face helmets, racing boots & gloves. Very safe, but very hot & uncomfortable. For safety, all good ideas. For normal pleasure riding & comfort, maybe jeans, leather shoes or boots, & open face helment. I personally use open face in warm weather & full face in cooler weather. I would think whatever YOU feel comfortable with would be fine. Just my opinion
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I like a nice 3/4 with the "Speed Racer" style visor.

Good protection and well vented.

Comment

Im a modular man myself, more protection than an open face, less than a full, but a lot more convenient as well.

Comment

I have worn both types. I prefer a full face. It actually keeps your body cooler. NO hot air blasting your face

Comment

Real full-face helmets only for me, thanks.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I ride motorcycles while facing forward, so I think it's rather stupid to leave the front of your head vulnerable. There are important things hanging on the front of your head, like face, teeth, eyes, lips, etc.

Modulars, or "flip" helmets do NOT offer the same protection as full-face helmets. Despite appearances and the promises of salesmen, they are a compromise between convenience and protection. The hinge mechanism is vulnerable to opening in an accident, the chinbar is nowhere near as strong as a real full-face helmet, and a large plastic and metal hinge mechanism inside the shell transmits force directly to your head in an impact right at the most vulnerable spot, the temples. (In a full face helmet, this area contains the force-absorbing EPS foam.)

Flip-up helmets make good sense for many riders -- the decision is yours to make. They're certainly a step up from open-face helmets. Just make sure you fully understand the compromises, and keep in mind that advertising and sales practices are very deceptive on these points. There are also many differences in flip-up helmets -- Nolan makes probably the best ones, with metal latch mechanisms and good strength. Cheaper flip-ups have very weak chinbars and plastic latch mechanisms that would be useless in a crash.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 03-05-2009, 12:29 AM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I use a full-face HJC. Because I ride behind a LARGE windshield, the visor is up most of the time. Heat is only a problem on 100+ days.

My wife also has a full-face HJC, but is looking at getting a modular one this year. We have not yet found one that she likes well enough to plunk down the cash.

Both sons wear full-face as well. OK, one is full-face, the other is modular, but the flip is down whenever he is on the bike.

I considered a modular one once, even took my son's helmet out for a test ride. It sits closer to my face than my full-face, and there is no room for the microphone that is somewhat mandatory in GoldWing circles.

A helmet will only work if you wear it, so make sure it fits. It may look and feel dorky, but put one on in a store, fasten it, then wear it in the store for at least half an hour. An pressure points will make themselves known by then.

I also remember a full-page ad that was in all the bike magazines back in the 70s. It was by Bell helmets. It showed one of their 3/4 helmets and a full-face helmet.
                      The caption read "If you have a $10 head, then get a $10 helmet."

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The last two wrecks I had this last year showed major damage to the lower portion of the visor and chin on my full face helmets. Looks like someone took a belt sander to them. Full face only for me thank you very much, very fond of my jaw and chin.

Comment

With one exception I've used nothing but full face helmets since 1983. That said, I lived for a few years about four miles from a small town where I got my groceries. That ride was a solitary one along a gravel road allowing a reasonable speed of not more than about 30 mph. For that ride only I bought an open face helmet for hot days. I'm no longer there and I'm now back 100% to a full face again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                            I like a nice 3/4 with the "Speed Racer" style visor.

Good protection and well vented.

It's a neat-looking lid, but "good protection"? How?

Do you have a magical ability to only land on the top of your head in a crash and not the sides or front? If so, can't you use your magic powers to guarantee that you'll never, ever crash?

Look at some pictures of crashed helmets -- ALL have significant damage to areas this helmet does not cover.

Again, the decision of what helmet to wear is up to the individual rider. There are trade-offs and compromises in every piece of gear short of a full-on racing suit.

However, if you feel that this type of helmet offers much in the way of useful protection, you are basing your decision on incorrect information.
                            Last edited by bwringer; 03-05-2009, 12:51 AM.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I wear a 3/4 helmet with flip visor by Fulmer. My advice is this:

Find a helmet that fits This 1 priority. If it doesn't fit it won't work.
                              Wear it.
                              Know your helmet and its limitations and ride accordingly but remember you can only control yourself not the cagers or deer or dogs or ?
                              Wear it.
                              Only you will know you personal comfort level.
                              Wear it.
                              I am just an old Jar Head and glass breaks

Did I mention no matter what you choose you gotta wear it or it won't matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X