Full face or other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    It's a neat-looking lid, but "good protection"? How?

Do you have a magical ability to only land on the top of your head in a crash and not the sides or front? If so, can't you use your magic powers to guarantee that you'll never, ever crash?

Look at some pictures of crashed helmets -- ALL have significant damage to areas this helmet does not cover.

Again, the decision of what helmet to wear is up to the individual rider. There are trade-offs and compromises in every piece of gear short of a full-on racing suit.

However, if you feel that this type of helmet offers much in the way of useful protection, you are basing your decision on incorrect information.
    +1

I highly doubt that the "visor" on that thing will protect any part of you in any kind of crash.

Full face only for me.

Comment

I used to wear a full face and switched to the Nolan Modular last year. I did some research and the Nolan at the time was the only modular with a stainless steel latching mechanism and a dual unlocking system. The latches on the other brands were all plastic at that time. Brian is correct they are only DOT rated and do not pass the tougher Snell certification which most full face helmets do. I rode with an open face helmet for a number of years and now find the full face more comfortable. Less wind blast, sand, road bits, etc. hitting you in the face. It is hotter in the summer but I usually leave the visor up and have safety glasses on underneath. The most important thing is that you actually use a helmet at least 3/4 size or full face. I do not count the beanie type as helmets although I suppose if you could make sure you land perpindicular to the road if you crash you might be OK. Just my opinion.
      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
      AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Full face is too hot? lol Sorry.

Comment

too hot even with no helmet on 100+ days.
          Can't here the stereo as well with full face as I can with a half helmet.
          My KBC ffr modular is too noisy with out a large fairing. The chin bar and front project a long way forward and as a result the helmet is not aerodynamically neutral and trys to tear your head off when you look sideways at speed. But it is the best vented helmet I've had.
          My full face HJC cl15 is the most comfortable helmet I've had. I bought it on the road and abandoned my old Shoei in the motel.
          I like the weather protection of a full face. I always wear glasses of some sort.
          I'm not going to crash anyways.
          Last edited by derwood; 03-05-2009, 01:57 AM.
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Just remember everyone, there's a HUGE push in the industry right now that Snell helmets are actually NOT safer than just DOT helmets. Yes, they survive a tougher testing process, but that tougher testing process has come under a lot of fire in the last several years as to what it accomplishes.

There are quite a few independent sources that are now saying that the DOT testing process actually produces the SAFER helmets here in the United States.

I believe there must be something to it, because shortly after Motorcyclist magazine blew this open about 4 or 5 years ago, Snell decided to change their testing for the 2010 certifications...

Comment

i have a vetter fairing and all i wear is a half helmet. on cold days i zip in a liner. i actually had a wreck last summer going fifty where i hit a slick spot on a curve and slid into a mazda. my helmet never hit the ground. i do fear this cat is running out of lives though.

Comment

This is the helmet that I wear when I ride. I also have an all black KBC helmet that's got a silver face shield. The wife generally uses that when she goes with me.

This helmet is a KBC Force RR Airborne 2 limited edition.

I love KBC as a company. They have treated me perfectly through 3 different helmets. Broken bits and pieces?? Get them in a few days in the mail when I call them. Send them an e-mail thanking them?? Get a T-shirt and some stickers in the mail in two days. Good company.

Comment

Hi,

I know some people don't, but I like my face.

I wore a 3/4 Bell with a comp shield back in the day. But now I wear a full face. I have a Scorpion EXO-700.

Here's a compilation of helmet reviews that you might find helpful.

Do you like your face?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Snell vs DOT? Depends on how you ride.

DOT rating covers what is likely to happen on the street at somewhat legal speeds. Snell is rated for racing speeds. Given that you only have about an inch of foam for padding inside the shell, they have to adjust the density of the foam for the speed. A foam that is light enough to absorb the shock of your head hitting the pavement at 60 mph is far too light to absorb it at 160 mph. Conversely, foam that is dense enough to properly absorb the impact at 160 may as well be a brick wall at 60.

If you race, get a Snell-rated helmet. If you stick to the street, DOT will suffice.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by lordcannon88 View Post
                      i have a vetter fairing and all i wear is a half helmet. on cold days i zip in a liner. i actually had a wreck last summer going fifty where i hit a slick spot on a curve and slid into a mazda. my helmet never hit the ground. i do fear this cat is running out of lives though.
                      Yeah, the Vetter Windjammer will protect your chin and the rest of your face from road rash, eh? Dream on!

On my Bambicide 7 years ago, my Shoei's chin was scraped up pretty badly. My handsome face was saved.

You're right -- your cat could well be running out of lives.

Get yourself a full-face helmet and keep on riding.

Nowadays I wear an AVG XR-2.

Comment

Do you have a magical ability to only land on the top of your head in a crash and not the sides or front? If so, can't you use your magic powers to guarantee that you'll never, ever crash?

Look at some pictures of crashed helmets -- ALL have significant damage to areas this helmet does not cover.

Again, the decision of what helmet to wear is up to the individual rider. There are trade-offs and compromises in every piece of gear short of a full-on racing suit.

However, if you feel that this type of helmet offers much in the way of useful protection, you are basing your decision on incorrect information.
                        Amen to that, bwringer!

Comment

It's pretty simple (IMHO). If you ever come off, the lower part of your face could possibly scrape along the bitumen until you stop. If you come off at speed this could be enough to grind your face right off the front of your head. Just thinking about it makes me HATE open face helmets.

As I said - IMHO.

Comment

When I started riding 6 years ago I was afraid to wear a fulll face as I felt I wouldn't be able to hear and see as well as with my half helmet.

The first time I wore a full face I went down in a gravel parking lot. Low speed for sure but my left side face and chin hit the ground with enough force to stun me and scrape up the helmet. I would likely have had a busted jaw and maybe even cuts to the face. I've been sold ever since.

As the other guys have said, most serious injuries occur to the face so it only makes sense to protect it as much as you can. While the modular helmets are better than open helmets they are not as good as full face and just as useless ( as opens) when worn with the face mask portion raised as many folks seem to wear them ( including TV hosts like Dennis Gage).

This is always a hot debate but for me its a no brainer. Full face or don't ride.

Cheers all,
                            Spyug

Comment

Well lets see. I dont ride like I stole it. Im the type that keeps it under or just at the limit. I back off the give that space I need in the front. I havent had an accident since I started riding, thats 26 years to you and me. And I understand one thing most riders NEVER think about or have practiced, how to roll in a crash. And yes you can learn this if you ever decide to take a MX riding course. For me learning what it took to stay off the pavement was more inportant than the trend to farther cover myself in armor. 28 years of being upright cant be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                                Well lets see. I dont ride like I stole it. Im the type that keeps it under or just at the limit. I back off the give that space I need in the front. I havent had an accident since I started riding, thats 26 years to you and me. And I understand one thing most riders NEVER think about or have practiced, how to roll in a crash. And yes you can learn this if you ever decide to take a MX riding course. For me learning what it took to stay off the pavement was more inportant than the trend to farther cover myself in armor. 28 years of being upright cant be wrong.
                                You're so sure of yourself, Hammered. 26, 28, whatever...

Totally laughable post. Thanks for the good laugh.

Comment

Working...
                                X