No announcement yet.

Full face or other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I don't have any magic powers and never practice crashing, I wear a full face helmet.
    Btw, even if you don't crash it's not fun having stuff like rocks, june bugs, birds, and rain hitting you in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
      Since I don't have any magic powers and never practice crashing, I wear a full face helmet.
      Btw, even if you don't crash it's not fun having stuff like rocks, june bugs, birds, and rain hitting you in the face.
      Yeah, none of us are as blessed with magic powers as Hammered.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
        Yeah, none of us are as blessed with magic powers as Hammered.
        Its more about being prepared than being of magical means. I also dont have elitist misgivings to riders that believe in something different than I do. I ride with any type of bike and ride as long as they arent a danger to me and mine. With my riding experience starting at a much younger age than the law allows, I found myself on a dirtbike. I also found that learning to ride meant more than just being able to demean certain types of bikes and swearing that "my way" was the only way. I tend to distance myself from cruisers who act the same way. Of course if you want to be the type of rider who experience stops at "I do my own oil change" and do the point and laugh when you see something outside of your comfort zone, by all means, its your right. Since taking to the street, Ive stayed upright, I attibute that to my ride style.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
          Its more about being prepared than being of magical means. I also dont have elitist misgivings to riders that believe in something different than I do. I ride with any type of bike and ride as long as they arent a danger to me and mine. With my riding experience starting at a much younger age than the law allows, I found myself on a dirtbike. I also found that learning to ride meant more than just being able to demean certain types of bikes and swearing that "my way" was the only way. I tend to distance myself from cruisers who act the same way. Of course if you want to be the type of rider who experience stops at "I do my own oil change" and do the point and laugh when you see something outside of your comfort zone, by all means, its your right. Since taking to the street, Ive stayed upright, I attibute that to my ride style.
          Riding style certainly plays an important role in safety and riding dirt (IMHO) gives you a skill set that most street riders never learn.

That said, unfortunately your skills won't always save you on the street. I wear as much protective gear as is reasonable, and at the top of the list is a full face helmet.

Comment

One more word on helmets.

They are only designed to absorb about a 7 mph direct impact (I think that's the figure from memory). That's equivalent to the vertical impact when going down at speed or standing still and hitting your head on the pavement. It can kill you, or cause severe brain damage in either case.

Sliding along the pavement and striking your head on the curb is not a direct impact, but a glancing one and your helmet should be able to absorb that also. The benefit of a full face helmet is the added protection to your lower face. Probably not life threateng, but wether you eat solid food, or not, after the crash makes a difference to me.

Comment

I have a AGV Miglia which is a modular. Here is a review:

I have trouble with a full face with my glasses and feeling claustrophobic.

I have had this one for almost a year and it has done well.

I purchased it here:

The price went up from when I bought it but it is still a good deal.
              David
              1998 Suzuki Bandit
              1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
              1978 GS1000 - gone
              1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                Since taking to the street, Ive stayed upright, I attibute that to my ride style.
                Ive never had a street bike crash either, but I dont ride that much. 30 years on 2 wheels and only about 80K miles. Thats nothing compared to some riders. Most of my close calls came in the first year and mostly my fault from being stupid. After that it was all the other guys fault. There is no way to really prepare for someone elses stupidity. I guess thats why they call them accidents.

Today I ride like an old lady but I think Ill stick to a full face helmet.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

the thing i am confused about with the dot vs snell helmet debate... every snell helmet i've ever had was also dot approved. so how does being snell AND dot make it not as safe as just dot?

Comment

for what it is worth.. i just had this discussion with myself (and a few others) over the last 4-5 days... i ended up picking up a KBC full-face... all the other "cheaper" helmets.. my jaw felt like it was either A) sticking out the bottom, or B) almost sticking out the bottom...

AANNNNDD.. the big one... i used my local shops to try stuff on, but then found a GREAT deal @ www.motorcycle-superstore.com via my GF... they're having a huge clearance sale right now... i picked up the Vr-2R (their flagship race-bred.. blah blah blah)... for $80 shipped (retails locally for $280...) local shop tried to price-match.. but then flat-out told me.. "go buy it online... we can't touch that"

-Nate

Comment

Wow,

I haven't heard the so many people get on the full face bandwagon.

First, my personal pref. is full face. I own both a true f.f. and an Eagle modular with the flip down sunshield. I like them both. I really don't have a preference between them. I use the mod. when I ride during the day because i don't have to cram my sunglasses into the helmet. The regular full face goes on at night. I ride at night a good part of the time, just because that's when I can get away.

Any friends that have the cruiser style bike don't want a full face helmet and it floors me. I live next to the state line of Missouri, where there is a helmet law and even though Kansas doesn't and I have a windshield like Basscliff"s, I wouldn't think about riding my 850 without one. I tried the half helmet and no thanks, we have Junebugs (brown hard beetles that fly) here in the summer and getting hit by one in the face just plain sucks. I've taken a couple in the chest before I had my windshield and they left bruises. I watch all the Harley riders wearing skull caps and wondering why?

Just my .02 cents
                      GS Score Card
                      4-400 Series GS's
                      3-500 Series
                      1-600 Series
                      1-700 Series
                      4-800 Series
                      1-1000 Series
                      2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                      sigpic

Comment

Full-face only ever, nothing else is even a helmet.

I’m one of the semi-Ricky-racer guys, probably because I ride a lot, a ride kind of fast, and I’m old and I don’t really want to wake up dead. But it’s also because it’s more comfortable.

In town, it’s just helmet, boots, jacket and gloves…….always. Out of town, I add the armored pants. Part of the trick is having appropriate options. If your only motorcycle jacket is a thick leather un-vented jacket, it’s going to be miserable in August. So you need vents or perforation. Same with pants. With boots and gloves, I’ve vented and unvented.

Anyway, I find that if a full-face helmet is of decent quality and fits your head, it’s more comfortable than any other option. Motorcycle boots are more comfortable on a bike than work boots. And mc pants are much more comfortable than jeans.

If you get the right gear, it really is more comfortable and you’re safer.

[I wear a Shoei, but the out-of-production Arai Astral is a great fit if I can find one. I was also amazed at the quality and comfort of the HJC CL15, so you don’t have to spend a lot.]
                        "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post
                          Wow,

I haven't heard the so many people get on the full face bandwagon.
                          It reveals the high intelligence and common sense of the overwhelming majority of the members of this group.

Comment

I am new to motorcycles, but full face makes me feel a lot more comfortable especially just starting out, i can't imagine i'll switch either. The one i use is made by Scorpion EXO and is flat black (had to take the S emblem off the front) and matches my bike. Functional, safe, and it looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post
                              Wow,

e. I tried the half helmet and no thanks, we have Junebugs (brown hard beetles that fly) here in the summer and getting hit by one in the face just plain sucks. I've taken a couple in the chest before I had my windshield and they left bruises. I watch all the Harley riders wearing skull caps and wondering why?

Just my .02 cents
                              Usually a windshield will have sufficient upward airflow to carry bugs over your head, but I have a strong recollection of what you describe. In early 70's I was nearing Kansas City when a junebug came straight at me over the top of the windshield and hit me in the forehead, just under the visor on my 3/4 helmet. Either it was too heavy or too stubborn to be diverted by air flow, but it hit my head like a fist (I was travelling about 80mph.) and left me blurry-eyed for a few moments.

That was my last year with a 3/4 helmet. It was retired and I have worn full-face ever since.
                              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Full face for me.
                                Icon Domain.
                                Vented, cool in the summer
                                Add on baffles (nose and throat) makes it warm. Use it snowmobiling.
                                Stable regardless of air flow. Don't go flying when checking dead angles.
                                Wide visor, great visibility.
                                Lightweight.
                                McLoud
                                '79 GS850
                                `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                                sigpic
                                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Working...
                                X