Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450 start up issues

Guys, I need your help, again...
    I´m trying to start my 450, but it will not ignite.
    All turns over fine, but no start.
    I pulled the plugs and there seem to be no spark on the right hand side.
    Does anyone have a clue what I should read on the multimeter?
    The number differ from right to left side.

I have never started the bike as I bought it as a project in october.
    The battery is new and fully charged.
    I so need to hear the bike start. Riding season is coming closer and I have seen bikes out the last couple of days.
    Pls help.

JF

Hi. As I'm getting used to saying on this site, I'm a newbie, but if you're not getting spark, you need to find out why. I would check first that the boot is getting good connection to the conductor inside the plug wire. Then check the coil, condensor and points. Check ohms on the coil (I think 3-5 ohms) and for continuity through the rest of the system. You might want to clean off the points with emery paper too (look for burn marks etc for signs of imperfect connections).

My 2c.

Atchbo.

Comment

The ohm measurements for the coils are in your owners manual. That'll tell you if the coil is bad. You can check for spark by pulling the plug, attaching it to the coil cable as if the plug was still in the engine, and push the start button while holding the sparky end of the plug a couple milmeters away from the engine block. (engine is ground)
      I went and bought a new coil before i found out it was the transistor timing box that controls the coils. Those arent cheap but i dont know of people opening up and repairing them by hand. The left side worked fine but the right wasnt getting any signal. Also my cables were a mess (new bike) and one of the wires had simply eroded away from time and weather. That helpped also, so give a looksee at the individual wires.

Comment

Originally posted by atchbo View Post
        Hi. As I'm getting used to saying on this site, I'm a newbie, but if you're not getting spark, you need to find out why. I would check first that the boot is getting good connection to the conductor inside the plug wire. Then check the coil, condensor and points. Check ohms on the coil (I think 3-5 ohms) and for continuity through the rest of the system. You might want to clean off the points with emery paper too (look for burn marks etc for signs of imperfect connections).

My 2c.

Atchbo.
        Not much help here from me other than don't look for points. 450's have an ATU (automatic timing unit). You might try swapping sides on the coils and see if the issue moves sides on ya.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2009, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I´m charging the battery to get it absolutely full, then I will try all your advice. I´ll keep you posted.
          Cheers
          JF

Comment

Guys, I just measured the wire that goes to the coil, 4,5 Ohms on both cables (orange /white).
            Where do I measure ON the coil itself? It is sealed.
            Where can I measure AFTER the coil?
            Do I have to say that I am a complete novice when it comes to elecrical stuff?? Bare with me please.
            Thanks for trying to help me out here.

Pulled the plug and only spark on the eft hand side, nada on the right.
            If it is the spark plug cable, how do I exchange that as the wire if needed? The wire goes into the coil.

JF
            Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2009, 08:28 AM. Reason: Must add stuff

Comment

Guys,
              Pulled the coil on the right side.
              This is what I got, 4,4 -4,5 Ohm when measured "before" the coil.
              Pried the red tester into the spark wire - nada.
              Can I exchange the spark wire or do I need to replace the coil as well?

JF

Electrical moron

Comment

Originally posted by jfsebastian View Post
                Guys,
                Pulled the coil on the right side.
                This is what I got, 4,4 -4,5 Ohm when measured "before" the coil.
                Pried the red tester into the spark wire - nada.
                Can I exchange the spark wire or do I need to replace the coil as well?

JF

Electrical moron
                Sebastian try this link.

It tells you how to replace the HT lead into the coil.

Comment

Don, as usual, you come to my rescue.
                  I checked the link and it looks doable.
                  How sure can I be that this spark plug wire is the faulty part?
                  How expensive is a salvage yard coil? Or a new one?

Cheers mate

JF

Comment

Don, as usual, you come to my rescue.
                    I checked the link and it looks doable.
                    How sure can I be that this spark plug wire is the faulty part?
                    How expensive is a salvage yard coil? Or a new one?

Cheers mate

JF
                    If the other coil is firing then swap the coils over and see if the coil you think is dud then fires, if so both coils are OK. Go and look somewhere else for the problem. If it still does not fire then there is a problem with the coil internally, the HT wire, the plug cap or the spark plug. Make sure you are using a good spark plug.

It is often a plug that is crook and people look for something more serious. Even new plugs can be faulty. Check the plug fires on the other cylinder then swap it to the one you are working on.

Comment

You do not have to physically swap the coils, just move the two small wires that connect to the left coil to the right coil and do your tests with the spark plug from the left cylinder.

Comment

Will do Don,
                        I´m at the hospital tonight and have removed my tonsils.
                        Will be home again tomorrow and then I have 10 days of painkillers and bike wrenching to look forward to.

I´ll let you know what happens when I swap the wires to the coils.

JF

Comment

Will do Don,
                          I´m at the hospital tonight and have removed my tonsils.
                          Will be home again tomorrow and then I have 10 days of painkillers and bike wrenching to look forward to.

I´ll let you know what happens when I swap the wires to the coils.

JF
                          SEBASTIAN -- I said "Remove the coil wires, NOT YOUR TONSILS". I hope you're not going to send me your hospital bill.

Comment

Don,
                            Oh, I thought tonsils and coils were the same. Just had a hard time figuring out how my removed tonsils could affect the bike to the degree that it would actually start!!!!!!!!

Just back from fiddling, I get spark from both sides now, no work done just removed and put back right side coil.

But still, it will not ignite.
                            Whats the next step?
                            Starter on a can?
                            Towing?
                            Kick in the groin of the bike and harsh language?

Please help me. It´s sunny, loads of bikes on the roads and I want to join them.

Heeeeeeeeeeeelp

JF

Comment

Sebastian is it a strong spark that you have. If I was in your position and I had good spark on both cylinders I would remove both plugs and tip a capful of petrol in each pluh hole, put the plugs back in quickly, put the HT caps on and crank it to see if it will start.

Comment

Working...
                              X