No announcement yet.

gs450 start up issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, call me an moron, but I canīt get a screw driver in to unscrew the chromed end caps by the head/cylinder.
    How the h*ll do you do that?

JF
    Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2009, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Heurekaaaaaaaaaa

Just had the bike running for a few sec using the old capful-of-gas-in-the-cylinder ploy.
      Ran fine for about 2-3 sec and then died.
      Hooked up the tank and tried again, happy as a camper.
      More gas, ran fine 2-3 sec and then nada, nothing.

So I guess I have to focus on the carb/fuel part now.

Talked to the PO today and he said it ran fine last spring.
      Sometimes a bit hard to start if it had sat for a while, but otherwise OK.
      He had never opened the head up, adjusted valves or anything more than checking the carbs every 3 years or so.

I think I will have to find a slope near by and just let go.
      See if that forces some fuel in the cyl.
      Any other ideas?

JF

IT RAAAAAAAAAN

Comment

Yes. Clean the carbs.

Comment

Cleaned the carbs, soldered the floats again since they were leaking,again, they looked clean but anyhow. Mounted them back on the bike, did my fill the cylinder with gas trick and the bike started at once. But for 2 sec and then died again.
          I have no PRIME function on my petcock, so how do I prime them?
          What can I do to make the fuel flow into the carbs????

HELP

Comment

So, have you cleaned (dipped) the carbs and done a valve adjustment ?

Hard starting indicates the need for a valve adjustment. I've read somewhere about blowing into the vacuum line (I think) to get the fuel flowing. Do a search a see what you can find concerning this.

Cleaning and rebuilding the carbs with new o-rings and performing a valve adjustment are not optional when bringing these bikes back from a long sleep. Even if it hasn't been that long of a sleep, it should still be done, especially the valve adjustment.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

for fuel flow hook up a temporary auxillary fuel tank. This will eliminate the petcock that may be in question.
              1979 GS850G
              2004 SV650N track bike
              2005 TT-R125 pit bike
              LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Guys, thanks for chipping in.
                The carbs were clean, I have not dipped them.
                The EU has so many rules regarding chemicals so many that you guys get are forbidden here, such as aircraft stripper. Carb cleaner is another that Iīve never seen.
                Is there any option on what I can use?

The valve adjusting on the 450 is much more difficult than o other bikes as I need to replace shims in different sizes, not just measuring and adjusting.

Will try blowing (and searching) the vacuum hose and aux fuel tank.

When I dismantled the carbs the other day, both had fuel in them so something works.

More ideas?

Comment

Hi Mr. jfsebastian,

Valve adjustments on the 2-valve GS motors are not difficult. Just measure your clearances, measure and inventory your shim sizes, do the math, then order the ones you need. There is lots of valve adjustment information on my website, including this:

Valve Adjustment Video:
                  Kerry Burton
                  of GStwin.com has put together a very informative video chronicling the process of valve adjustment on his GS500. The procedure will be the same for all GS twins. The principle is the same for all 2-valve GS motors.

CLICK HERE to go to the Google video.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Basscliff

The video was really helpful.
                    Will see what I can do. Need more blade sizes and shims.

JF

Comment

Well, I did bite the valve clearance bullet in the end.
                      Less than 0,05 mm on 3 out of four valves, one was OK.
                      Problem is that one of the shims had no marking on it, but its less than 2.55mm.
                      One was 2.55x and less than 0.05mm.
                      One was 2.65 and less than 0.05mm
                      One unmarked.

I guess I need to go to the local Suzuki dealer and measure the unknown one.
                      Will order the shims today if I can figure out what I need instead.
                      How much are those shims by the way?
                      Maybe I can order a few without being robbed?

The Zip Tie method as described on BASSCLIFFs page was easy to use. I mean REALLY easy. Thanks mate.

******MISTAKE MADE -I removed BOTH inlet shims and now I can not insert the shims again or crank the engine without hitting the bucket with the cam shaft. Managed to push the bucket down so all are in again now.********
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2009, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jfsebastian View Post
                        Guys, call me an moron, but I canīt get a screw driver in to unscrew the chromed end caps by the head/cylinder.
                        How the h*ll do you do that?

JF

Iīll answer myself, you donīt need to touch them. Pure decorations.
                        Damn. that will cost me a new cap to get to know that......

Comment

Working...
                        X