No announcement yet.

"Posh Racing Project" rear shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now all I can do is keep an eye on wear and tear during normal use. The shocks have 3000 miles on them as of now, with my modifications. There's some seepage past the oil seal on both but I can't say it's for shoddy construction when I've torn both pieces down eight times for various reasons. They stiff function fine, but are also still just a bit soft in the spring for my tastes. Rebound is awesome but she bottoms out over heavy bumps/dips...but so did the showas I had on before.

I'm still pretty well sticking with my conclusion...these things are not safe out of the box but can work pretty well when modified correctly.

Comment

Tanks for the update. Is there a summary of the required mods you had to make to improve the safety. As I recall it was:

Improve strength of the lower clevis (I just bought one from Ohlins with a 10mm screw=in bolt for $40 a peice) Could this be adapted? The lower clevis is for the SU-145 and is a special order item takes 3-4 weeks.

Edit: I see that you apparently needed to extend the length of the shocks

New Spring for the 200 lbs rider.

Were there mandatory valving changes?

Does the vendor have any plans for change?
      Last edited by posplayr; 08-08-2009, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the late response.

The most pressing issues were the lower clevis and spring seat...they're brittle and poorly cut. After you get those replaced your shortfalls go from safety to performance. When I replaced mine, I had longer bases cut to make up for my shorter rear wheel. Should be fine with a stock wheel and tire.

With me the shocks were just too soft...on a lighter bike it would have been fine. No valving chages were required but it's something I may address at a later date.

I very much suggest a heavier spring for anyone heavier than me (170lbs geared).

I cannot get in touch with the manufacturer and assume no changes will ever be made. Most of these shocks they make in the millions and then never produce again. There are better and better performing pieces coming out of china, though...I'm hearing good things about the Ohlins knock-offs...except the whole Ohlins badging thing...

Comment

I have a set of Ohlins knock off's (without the badges) that I'm going to try on my skunk soon...

If they're any good I might be able to get hold of a few sets as a bulk buy.

They have the damping & preload adjust on them.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X