'Baby' Kats - info needed please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Baby' Kats - info needed please.

Since I now own two 'baby' Katanas I'm trying to hunt up some info on original colour schemes. My 550 is black with a red seat and the 'new' 650 is blue with a 'grey' seat. I think the 550 may be original and I'm sure the 650 isn't. Apart from the obvious silver bike with red & black seat does anybody know what colours these bikes came out as standard?

I've searched google pics, Katana Central and the gallery here and it would appear there's every colour of the rainbow out there. Some look good, some not so good (IMHO), but it's impossible to tell what's original and what's not.

Did the GS550M and GS650G Katana come out in various livery?

I've been researching this as well since my 550M is in serious need of repainting. From what I've found the 550M was released in the sliver with black/red seat and orange calipers and also an all black model. I don't think the all black model was released in the US.

It also seems like the silver painted 550M came stock with either red wheels or white wheels though I haven't figured out if that was between years or based on country of origin.

looking forward to reading some other responses as I'll be paint stripping as soon as the weather warms up.

Comment

I have both a GS550 Kat and a GS650 Kat.
      I actually bought a 550 from new in 1982 which was silver.
      Both current bikes are silver with red seat, suspension, calipers and discs, wheels are white.
      If I remember correctly the 650 only came into the UK as silver but the 550 could also be bought as red (with black seat and white lettering on the tank).
      In fact there is currently a NOS Red Petrol tank on Ebay uk (If anyone wants a gander at a red one its item no 370181408950).
      Please ask any questions and I'll do all I can to answer them.

This is the 550 :-

and the 650 :-

Last edited by waltfen; 03-31-2009, 06:45 AM.
      GS1000G

Comment

I'm not kidding when I tell you that my heart just started to race a little bit (truly). They are beautiful Waltfen. You should be very proud.

The seat on my 550 is the same as the 650, flat on top, (same as your 650). Is that 550 seat original with that step in it?

Comment

Zooks,

Have you checked www.suzukicycles.org yet? There is a very comprehehsive listing of all Suzuki cycles made worldwide; most with accompanying pictures. Could be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
            Zooks,

Have you checked www.suzukicycles.org yet? There is a very comprehehsive listing of all Suzuki cycles made worldwide; most with accompanying pictures. Could be helpful.
            Yeah, thanks. I've read it from cover to cover (so to speak).

It has a limited 'colour range' for some models. Colour schemes weren't always listed in sales brochures so it can be hard to get info.

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments about the bikes.
              The seat on the 550 is not original, it is made by a company called 2 4. The one on the 650 is original and in very good condition for 26 years of age.
              The 650 has been fully stripped and powder coated. You have probably noticed that the tank decals on the 650 are not original. (I got a good deal on the tank, side panels and mudguard, so I couldn't really complain)
              GS1000G

Comment

Originally posted by waltfen View Post
                I have both a GS550 Kat and a GS650 Kat.
                I actually bought a 550 from new in 1982 which was silver.
                Both current bikes are silver with red seat, suspension, calipers and discs, wheels are white.
                If I remember correctly the 650 only came into the UK as silver but the 550 could also be bought as red (with black seat and white lettering on the tank).
                In fact there is currently a NOS Red Petrol tank on Ebay uk (If anyone wants a gander at a red one its item no 370181408950).
                Please ask any questions and I'll do all I can to answer them.
                Didn't we also get black 550s (white lettering)? I think you're right about the 650 - I can't remember there being any other colour either.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I cannot remember black 550's, though that doesn't mean that there weren't any. (it is a long time ago)

Here's a link to microfiche's from cmnsl for the Katana tanks. I think this is for the american model which shows 2 colours, red and silver for the 550.

550 Kat

Here's one to the 650 Kat which only shows silver.

650 Kat
                  GS1000G

Comment

If a 650 is a "baby kat", I guess my 400 kat is a "Fetal Kat"?

Comment

400 Kat?????

Comment

I happen to be very fond of those little Katanas. If the right 650 crossed my path while I had the money...

I nice mix of exotic looks, proven reliable drivetrain, especially the shaft drive 650, and practical ergonomics.

What's not to like?

Did those 550's have the 16 valve motor?
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The 550 & 650 both had 8 valve motors IIRC.

Comment

Yeah, my 400 kat looks ver similar to those 2 pix above, plus there is actually a 400 katana that looks like the 1100 and 750 ones with the fairing too, a 400 I4

Comment

What year model are we talking for the 400? Are you referring to the 'Katanas' that were produced in the 90's?

Comment

Working...
                              X