Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salty, sent you a PM.

I'm going from a single disc GS750B to the 2 piston dual disc setup. Should have some dual disc forks soon so I'll be starting like a GS750EC.

I've read through this whole thread and I have a few questions. I replaced the hoses with stainless steel when I bought the bike 3 years ago. Currently have one line from the master cylinder to the splitter under the headlight and a second line from splitter to caliper. I'm planning to add a double banjo bolt with a third line from splitter to second caliper. Any issues?

Where do the mounting bolts go? The first existing bolts goes through the upper mount of the fork and second through the adapter bracket, spacer, and caliper mounting plate? And the 40-45mm bolt with nut goes on the lower fork mount? Use blue loctite on all three?

I read that non ABS VTR750 rotors will work. Can anyone confirm? They look just like the 95-96 F3 rotors.
    Last edited by hannibal; 07-02-2018, 10:58 PM.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

PM sent back. No problem with that line arrangement, that's what they do OEM. Correct on the Bolts. Yes I believe those rotors work.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks! Got the calipers on the way and working on the rotors and master cylinder. I'll PM you for payment details by the end of the week.
        Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Ok, I am taking the kids camping & getting in some riding whilst away so forgive me if I don't respond till next week.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

So this thread is very large and I haven't read the whole thing. Is there a parts list for this install for a 78 GS1000 factory twin disc bike? Is there a kit anyone knows of? Love my Skunk, stops like ****.
            The goal of life isn't to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body. It's to slide in sideways, screaming and yelling "Hell yeah! What a ride"!

Comment

Saltymonk makes a mount kit.
              1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
              New project 1979 GS1000S
              Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisM View Post
                So this thread is very large and I haven't read the whole thing. Is there a parts list for this install for a 78 GS1000 factory twin disc bike? Is there a kit anyone knows of? Love my Skunk, stops like ****.
                EDIT 1/1/2023 - Yes I have a few sets of brackets/spacers/hub spacers left - Price is $104 shipped Priority in the USA. Most other countries tend to be around $125-$130 shipped 1st class package. Newest brackets also allow the new Ninja EX650 Tokico calipers to be fitted as well as SV650 & DL650. Just some pics of the
                Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Thanks - I posted that post linky into the first post of the thread. PM back to you today.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

On the page that Hannibal posted a link to you it states, "Suzuki also used this caliper on the VX800, GS500 and the GSX1100G". Can someone tell me if there is a specific yr model I should be looking for?
                    Thanks,
                    Willie
                    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Earlier GS500's, 1989 through roughly 2001/2003 use this exact Tokico caliper. I believe the later AJP versions will also work with this mod as they use the exact same fork mount positions as far as I can tell.

EDIT - EXCEPT that all GS500 calipers will only work as the right side caliper of a dual disc 77-88 Suzuki GS, because as far as I know, all the 77-88 GS's run a left caliper only, on all single disc setups, and the GS500's are all right side only, single discs.

Any year GS500 master cylinder will work for this mod on a single disc bike, but on the calipers, i dont know what models you would look at ti find a matching left side AJP caliper to match the right side later GS500 AJP style.
                      Last edited by Chuck78; 07-12-2018, 07:39 AM.
                      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                      '79 GS425stock
                      PROJECTS:
                      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Thanks for responding Chuck. Does anyone know if one particular bike model caliper would be better than another?

Present Stable includes:

Comment

They are all the same calipers if they use the universal Left/Right bracket with the holes drilled in it, but the calipers themselves are specific left vs right. And we are talking about the calipers that use one large leading and one small trailing piston (some very similar tokico calipers used 2 pistons of equal diameter, I believe they have a slightly different bracket that is not universal left and right. This may also work with these bracket kits, but I am not certain).

Just look up front brake calipers from those three Suzuki models or any of the Kawasaki models listed, and look at the photos of the calipers for sale. The calipers you want have an unmistakable appearance.

Also you can use the alpha sports or Partzilla websites which have cross reference information on the individual part pages. Find a caliper in the parts fiche schematics/diagrams that looks like the one that we are using here, then click on each caliper, left and right, and it will show you every year and model that exact caliper in that exact color came on. The Kawasaki's get complicated because they had different paint color variations that make the cross-referencing not as straightforward (identical brake calipers but in a different color will have a different part number). In that case, you can use the piston seal part numbers for the pistons themselves actually, and get a better idea of exactly what years to look for.
                          Last edited by Chuck78; 07-11-2018, 11:49 PM.
                          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                          '79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Thanks again Chuck. Excellent info!

Present Stable includes:

Comment

The last of the breed for the calipers than work are the 2001-2006 Kawasaki Concourse & the up to 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (except it has one side only).

I usually go for the Concourse ones when I can get them. In general they seem to be in better condition, maybe because of the age.

Those calipers are silver. Most of the calipers out there are black.
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Greeting's. Salty's original inspiration 10 years ago to upgrade the caliper's and rotors for the GS series motorcycles used CBR rotors and Kaw Concour calipers were the best cost effective options.
                                The aftermarket now has cost effective alternatives for new rotors. Are there brand new (Asashi?) rotor, rotor carrier, and buttons that can be recommended that don't require drilling modifications? Part numbers would be helpful. Ebay is such a crap shoot.
                                Thank you for your time

Comment

Working...
                                X