No announcement yet.

Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wanted to let everyone know that I do have the new style (option of 2 caliper styles) on my shelf. Powdercoated black as usual
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I’ve had a few people ask so I just wanted to bump this thread to say that I do have sets of brackets on my shelf currently.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just a quick post of thanks to salty_monk and everyone for their tips on this thread. Installed a set on my 79 GS550, with calipers from a 88 ZX10, cafe racer build and they are a great modification. After about 6 months of work the engine went in last weekend. Wiring and brake lines left to install and should be back on the road soon.

PHOTO-2020-11-16-12-31-06.jpg
        Last edited by JT1306; 11-30-2020, 12:20 PM.
        1979 GS550 Project

Comment

Welcome to the site, JT.
          The discs look new. Are they from a ZX10 as well?
          How about starting a thread with your build info in the "Projects" section.

Originally posted by JT1306 View Post
          Just a quick post of thanks to salty_monk and everyone for their tips on this thread. Installed a set on my 79 GS550, with calipers from a 88 ZX10, cafe racer build and they are a great modification. After about 6 months of work the engine went in last weekend. Wiring and brake lines left to install and should be back on the road soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62049[/ATTACH]
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks!

The discs are new EBC discs (EBC MD1014X) and then just enlarged the holes to 8mm. I liked the look of the gold discs against the black wheels which I have also mirrored with the rear shocks. I've added the master cylinder off a 2010 Kawasaki ER6 so should be a pretty solid braking setup.

I'm keeping all the images stored and will provide a full build thread once I've got nearer completion, hopefully early next year.
            1979 GS550 Project

Comment

Looking good! Thanks for posting up the part number of the discs / rotors
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Hi Salty Monk, I have borrowed your ideas of the Honda disks and Concours calipers to uprate the front end of my GS1100GK. As you will know the GK has fatter forks and wider trees than everything else. I didnt have to shim the disks at the hub, and using the original Concours brackets with some extensions welded on (certified welder, crack tested) located the calipers spot on over the disks. Used the Concours span adjustable m/c as well. Picture over at the "what did you wrench on today" thread. Thanks for the inspiration.

Comment

Great, glad it worked out. A couple of people have welded brackets the way you have, seems like it should work ok and has for them as far as I know.

I’d definitely want a good welder as you did, would be good to know the material used originally, I was a bit worried it would “let down” the bracket and make it flex but I think it’s thick enough that you’d be ok even if it did.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

These seem like a good option for brand new master cylinders from a trusted source. Look vintage enough for even the older Suzuki’s and are the correct bore size. $61.

I’d be interested in feedback if anyone tried one out.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Just wanted to bump the thread to let members know that I do currently have brackets. Due to some drop off in demand over the last year or two this latest batch will likely be the last time I run these.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I may be interested in picking up some brackets. First, I'm trying to figure out if the '83 GS550ES calipers will directly bolt on to my '81 GS750E forks. I want to upgrade to opposing piston calipers rather than the sliding/floating calipers.

Question:
                        Can I install other calipers with your brackets? Specifically, the Yamaha four pot blue dot calipers? FJ1100 with blue dots.
                        FJ1100 with blue dots.jpg
                        Last edited by SameOG; 08-09-2021, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Another question:
                          Have you considered making and selling radial conversion brackets? I'd love to put on the Yamaha six pot radial calipers? RC51 with silver dots.
                          RC51 Radial Conversion.jpg
                          Last edited by SameOG; 08-09-2021, 07:38 PM.

Comment

I'd love to too! Those FJ guys have a lot more room to work with between the fork legs. We're stuck with twinpot sliding pin calipers I'm afraid, opposed pistons just won't safely fit on anything other than an 1150 using stock forks & wheel.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Are you be able to custom any brackets for any calipers or ?

Comment

I responded in your other thread. It's a specific bracket set for a particular choice of calipers & rotors on stock forks & using stock wheels. Lots of info earlier in the thread if you read through.
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                                X