No announcement yet.

Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The spacer is tight to the hub & the shoulder bolts centralize the whole thing.

You can send me links if you like & I will tell you if they will fit or not... (if they are OEM that is). Make sure you get a rotor dia of 295mm not the 310mm or 320mm.

A lot of people disconnect it due to a spongy lever feel and/or difficult bleeding but there is no need to. It will work either way. If you disconnect it then either simply leave it disconnected or put a block off plate on.
    With a plate you will need to create a channel to link the two holes in the fork otherwise the antidive will be constantly active.

I have 83 1100 forks fitted and use a block off plate with a channel in it. I also use cartridge emulators & a stiffer spring. The rebound adjustment on these forks still works after you fit emulators so I now have a fork with adjustable preload, rebound & compression (via the emulator). Pretty good for a 30 year old fork!

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

When i put this set-up on my 850, i installed it like it is intended to be. Then i got a set of '83 1100GK forks for it. They are wider than the stock forks so, i had to move the plate that normally mounts on the outside of the fork mounting lugs, to in-between the lugs and the caliper mount. Everything else, the three bolts, the spacer, in place as before. I've had it this way for a couple of seasons with no problems.
      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        The spacer is tight to the hub & the shoulder bolts centralize the whole thing.

You can send me links if you like & I will tell you if they will fit or not... (if they are OEM that is). Make sure you get a rotor dia of 295mm not the 310mm or 320mm.

A lot of people disconnect it due to a spongy lever feel and/or difficult bleeding but there is no need to. It will work either way. If you disconnect it then either simply leave it disconnected or put a block off plate on.
        With a plate you will need to create a channel to link the two holes in the fork otherwise the antidive will be constantly active.

I have 83 1100 forks fitted and use a block off plate with a channel in it. I also use cartridge emulators & a stiffer spring. The rebound adjustment on these forks still works after you fit emulators so I now have a fork with adjustable preload, rebound & compression (via the emulator). Pretty good for a 30 year old fork!

Thank you. I have a better picture now. I was afraid of radial runout. I will check to be sure, but the shoulder bolts should work. The forks are a project for down the road, so I will leave them as-is for now. Who knows, the extra stopping power may allow the anti-dive to actually work?

Bob G.
        sigpic
        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
        1983 GS1100e
        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
        1980 GS1260
        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

When the anti-dive is working properly it does a reasonable job in my opinion (based on limited rides on others bikes), not as good as the Honda of the same period (which used a mechanical actuator triggered by fork compression rather than hydraulic). It does affect the lever feel though.

The cartridge emulators are way better.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have just read the whole of this thread..... What a truly inspiring read salty_monk has replied to my PM and the wheels are in motion for a kit to be sent to me in the UK.
            I have found the calipers here in the UK for a good price and I'm still looking for the CBR900 rotors for the right money.
            My GS1000 has passed it's MOT test on Saturday 03 19 (this is our road worthiness test) so I have a whole year of playing with upgrades. I will start a build thread to show how I've got to this Point and to show what is next. I do have quite a special engine to fit hence the brake up grade.
            I have been truly inspired by the hard work of you guys in this thread, the information and ingenuity. Also a big hand for Dan as it was his hard work that has made this a viable solution for the somewhat iffy standard GS brakes.
            Jeff
            Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Just for info, it is easier to look for ZR750 Zephyr calipers over here in the UK and they seem readily available. I've bought some for fifty of lizzies pounds and will see what they are like and report.

My bracket kit are on there way over the pond, thanks Dan, so all I have to do is track down are some serviceable CBR900RR discs / rotors. I'm looking forward to doing this conversion.
              Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

I now have collected all the parts except the rotors. Wondering if anyone has used the Bikemaster 752 rotors? A little more than half the price of EBC, twice the price of Chinese wave rotors. They are made in Europe, and look very well built. Even the buttons are held on with E-clips so they can be rebuilt. A pair from Powersports Superstore is $255 shipped. Amazon has Chinese rotors for $116 the pair. WWYD?

Here is a picture of the actual Bikemaster part

I am thinking you get what you pay for, but this will never see a track.
                sigpic
                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                1983 GS1100e
                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                1980 GS1260
                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I can't speak to the quality differences but i certainly prefer the look of the Bikemaster rotors.
                  Could be they are both sourced from China.
                  To my eye wave rotors should only be on modern bikes.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

My brackets arrived today thanks salty_monk. The calipers should be with me on Monday Apr 4 just need to source the rotors then have much fun fitting.
                    Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

No problem, glad you got them ok. Those Bikemaster units do look good.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Hi Salty Monk , does the brake caliper adapter plate fit the gs550 83 with twin brakes .

I have sent a pm .

cheers

David

Comment

One back at ya, I can't see any good reason why it wouldn't work with that model.

If it doesn't I'll take them back minus postage.

Cheers,

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Just curious if anyone ordered from Powersports Superstore. They often have a good price on parts but I assume they're too good to be true.
                            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Thanks Dan ,

all sorted , your message bank is full so cant reply via pm .

cheers

david

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                                Just curious if anyone ordered from Powersports Superstore. They often have a good price on parts but I assume they're too good to be true.
                                I've ordered quite a few times from them--no issues at all.
                                1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
                                1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

Working...
                                X