Page 51 of 93 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Darin Jordan Guest

OK, not wanting to risk those "inexpensive" aftermarket rotors, I have found myself a set of the 99-2000 CBR600F4 Stock rotors that appear to be in good shape on ebay.

Ordered some ECB Kevlar Pads for same.

Got the black powder-coated brackets this weekend (Thanks, Salty-Monk!).

Also received my 1988 Ninja 750 Calipers in fine condition.

Need to look over the calipers carefully to see if they need rebuilding (most likely will anyhow), but otherwise, I think I have everything now to do this update.

GS-cafe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Quick Question for those here who might have experience with some of the aftermarket rotors listed on Ebay... The ones sourced from Hong Kong, etc.

They look cool... but are these substandard materials and should they be avoided?

Would like to buy brand new rotors for this conversion, so looking for options.

Thanks!
    i had some of those China disks on my previous bike (1997 Suzuki TL1000), they worked perfectly, i also was a bit reluctant on using those, but after lots of searching on bad reviews, i couldnt find any, only hearsay, i did find plenty of pictures of broken/sheared Galfers,Braking EBC and Brembo disks.. all after heavy use on a race track i might add..

but on an old GS?? i would put those on in a heartbeat...

Darin Jordan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GS-cafe View Post
    i had some of those China disks on my previous bike (1997 Suzuki TL1000), they worked perfectly, i also was a bit reluctant on using those, but after lots of searching on bad reviews, i couldnt find any, only hearsay, i did find plenty of pictures of broken/sheared Galfers,Braking EBC and Brembo disks.. all after heavy use on a race track i might add..

but on an old GS?? i would put those on in a heartbeat...
    I'll keep this in mind of the stock ones I purchased don't work out. It's always a crapshoot going from just pictures, but they supplied some pretty decent pictures from all angles, so I feel fairly comfortable.

Nickolarge Guest

Fitted my rotors and calipers at the weekend. No problems with the fitting. The brackets worked perfectly. I had some binding but that was ok as I was only putting the bike on the road today. The seals for the calipers arrived this morning and after cleaning out the bodies and fitting the seals everything is ok. What pads should I be using? The calipers came with some EBC HH pads that seem to have plenty of life in them but I will be fitting new ones as I don't cut corners with my brakes.

EBC HH pads work great.
    If they have plenty of meat i would use them.
    Excellent reviews from M-S. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...red-brake-pads
    2@ \'78 GS1000

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Yes EBC pads are really good. The Stock Tokico ones are pretty good too. The generic "organic" ones around definitely don't have as much bite.

If the pads are in good shape, worn evenly, not scored & not soaked in brake fluid then they should be ok to use... Make your best judgement and remember any pad will need bedding in.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Darkspeed Guest

Pm sent...need some of these brackets.

Re: pad choice, ebc hh is a good pad for street and I've used them for a bunch of bikes, but they do fade under very hard riding or track use. For my fast bikes I use vesrah rjl now. Make sure the surfaces are clean, flat and worn even if you plan to reuse them like other guy said

Nickolarge Guest

Went for the first proper ride tonight. The brakes are fine with the old pads. Two finger braking. Excellent.

The bike seems to have developed another slight problem though that I don't remember from riding it over the previous few years. After overtaking some cars as I pulled back in I got a bit of a front end shake like the beginnings of a tank slapper. Any ideas?

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

One back at ya... Still got some brackets here.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Quote Originally Posted by salty_monk View Post
    Well we sorted that out... We now know how to fit them to the 85 550E! No change in parts but slightly different configuration.

I do have some more brackets here if anyone is in need.

I believe the solution that you came to is probably the same fitment that is needed to use this brake mod on the GS 1100 GK with its 204 mm center to center 41mm diameter fork legs, much wider & thicker than most GS's. the brake mounts on the fork legs set in much further and are much thicker, but still, that bike was a very special beast all on its own.

'77 GS750
    920cc, 4-1, GS1100E swinger, 18"rims, Fox Factory Shox, twinpot dual disc, VM29's, Yoshi cams
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220 rugged terrain ripper
    '74 Rickman VR250MX
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 Pure Enduro trail beast, ported, Wiseco, TüBliss, Fox Factory Shox/RaceTech
    '76 Rickman CR GS1000-1120cc roadracer, Yoshi cams&4-1, RF900R fork, Works ProRacers
    '79 GS425 489cc, GR650 cams, GS650 fork, twinpot discs, DID rims, GS1100E swinger, Fox Factory Shox
    '77 GS550 650-740cc susp/brake mods