No announcement yet.

Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Now I see the killer prices!!! lol While researching pads, I found that besides Concourse brake calipers, you can use calipers off of a 88-97 Kawasaki ZX600C. Use Suzuki 89-95 GS500E's for rebuild parts. WAY cheaper than Kawasaki! Same caliper, but they only use 1 caliper. They are plentiful and are black in color. $60 for a system with a nice master and lever. These guys had cheap EBC129HH pads http://www.pdi-racing.com/ebc-brake-...SABEgI1p_D_BwE

This is my second twinpot update. Im with Chuck. With this set up, HH pads and S/S lines they stop very well. Get a modern master cylinder also. Dont go cheap charlie on brakes
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I use the EX650 master cylinder as it has all the benefits of a modern setup without looking too modern and still having a mirror mount.

The Ninja 250 used one of these calipers up to 2006 & are the best source of cheap spare parts I've found.

The newest matching pair you'll find is a 2006 Concourse set. They are all silver.

Brackets are all powdercoated black as usual (more Henry Ford than Suzuki! )
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Ninja 250's and GS500's used them, but are single disc set up's. I believe the bleeder will be upside down on one side.
        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Yes, you can only use them as a parts source for pistons & rubber bits on one side... you do need an actual body for the correct side.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I would like to add that yes, the calipers are not reversible, although the OEM caliper bracket frames are. Although on a dual disc setup, the GS500 caliper works just the same as a dual disc right caliper, but you will still be needing a left from a different donor bike.
            L/R spotters guide: If looking at single calipers on ebay, the piston side goes out obviously, and the piston bores/pads are visible from the inside. Based on that orientation, the bleeder screws will be at the top of the caliper over top FRONT end of the larger of the two piston bulges in the caliper.

I learned from sifting through the inventory of the Rice Paddy Motorcycles vintage salvage shop that early EX500 Ninjas use a left side single disc setup, and later EX500 Ninjas use the right side only in their single disc setup (or vise-versa).

I think the Ninja 250 as far as I recollect are also right side only? So on our GS single disc bikes if trying to just do single 310mm disc with a 98-99 CBR900RR rotor, you need a left specific caliper, and would only be able to use the GS500 or other right side single disc calipers for parts.
            '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
            '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
            '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
            '77 GS550 740cc major mods
            '77 GS400 489cc racer build
            '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Little late to the party but was wondering if there are any bracket kits still available?

Comment

Originally posted by Trickey610 View Post
                Little late to the party but was wondering if there are any bracket kits still available?
                Send a PM to Salty Monk, he had a post just a couple before yours. Be sure to mention what bike you have.

While you are at it, why not create a signature that mentions your bike HERE?
                It will save you from trying to remember posting it each time you ask a question about it.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Send a PM to Salty Monk, he had a post just a couple before yours. Be sure to mention what bike you have.

While you are at it, why not create a signature that mentions your bike HERE?
                  It will save you from trying to remember posting it each time you ask a question about it.

Thanks!
                  i sent him a PM a couple days ago. No hurry, still very much in the planning and part hunt for my 550e build.

Thanks for the nudge on making a sig! I’ve been putting that off for far too long. I even put a pic of my ugly mug for an avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfeet View Post
                    The CBR900 F2 (95 era) rotor does not need any re-drilling for the holes to align. The spacing is correct. The existing holes just need to be widened. Otherwise this is a bolt on rotor.
                    Can anyone give me a double confirmation that these rotors will work?

While doing research I found a couple things I like about these over other options (if they work). Being a “10 spoke” they will align to the 5 spoke mag wheel much better than the 6, 7, or 9 spoke options I am seeing. Never did like the way the stock 6 spoke rotors looked over the 5 spoke wheel. Just looks odd..

The second and more important reason I like them is because the drilling is non-directional. That means I could buy 2 new left hand OEM rotors... because apparently all right hand rotors have been discontinued. I know that will cost a LOT but everyone says don’t cheap out on brakes and OEM is typically best.

Anyways, I would really appreciate someone chiming I’m on the fit and check my thinking on using 2 left rotors.

Thanks!

Comment

Yes I believe that 10 rivet one will work. Have fitted a set once. It's the heaviest one of the ones that work. The F4i seven button one is the lightest and nicest of the bunch when mounted in my opinion. Can see that one in my sig. Also only needs the holes enlarged.

sorry for being slow. Away at a tradeshow. I do have some bracket sets on the shelf.
                      Last edited by salty_monk; 01-12-2018, 08:49 PM.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Sorry if I'm being a bit dumb here .I have a gs550 twin disc set up if I was to do this mod which calipers would I need and discs to go with your mounting brackets

Comment

Originally posted by Yozzer74 View Post
                          Sorry if I'm being a bit dumb here .I have a gs550 twin disc set up if I was to do this mod which calipers would I need and discs to go with your mounting brackets
                          Hey Yozzer,
                          You should check out page 24 if this thread. It’s got a detailed listing of the compatible components you could choose from and any special things you may need to consider.

-Stephen

Comment

Note that page count might vary unless you have the default posts per page set.....

Late 80's Ninja. 99-06 Concourse. 99-06 Ninja 250 give you one side. EX500 had them different sides different years. Send me a picture or link of what you find & I'll be able to confirm.

Rotors are all CBR. F3, F4. There is a full posted in the thread or PM me an email address & I can send you a doc with the same info.

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Thanks for that

Comment

I found a list of parts on page 25 or 26. I'll be printing that out for reference.

I sent Salty a PM, but can anyone give me a run down of stuff needed to do this on an '80 GS550E?
                                Is anyone doing it with a single disc? Are the stock cast wheels drilled all the way through to accept dual rotors?
                                Now I need to go look at my forks to see if there's a caliper bracket on both sides.

Comment

Working...
                                X