No announcement yet.

Avon Roadrider cracking Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got no idea what to go for yet... need to buy a set of something in the next few months though...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I've got Battlaxe BT45's on the 'S .
      Not as good as the Spitfire II's (can't get them anymore). When you're getting down near the wear bars on the BT45's , they're gone .
      But better than the Avon's .

Pete , I get my tyres from a "car" tyre place .
      It takes a week or so (because they don't keep a big range) to get the ones I want but they beat the bike shops by about $40 a tyre , fitted .
      Worth a look .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
        I've got Battlaxe BT45's on the 'S .
        Not as good as the Spitfire II's (can't get them anymore). When you're getting down near the wear bars on the BT45's , they're gone .
        But better than the Avon's .

Pete , I get my tyres from a "car" tyre place .
        It takes a week or so (because they don't keep a big range) to get the ones I want but they beat the bike shops by about $40 a tyre , fitted .
        Worth a look .

Cheers , Simon .
        Cheers Simon, I was gonna check Tyres for Bikes at Albion but haven't started thinking seriously yet... gotta wait for budget. Haven't even gotten the bike back from Tranzac so haven't even paid for the exhaust yet... man I hate waiting!

I initially thought these Avons, then the bad news about them, then thought dual sports would be good for the scrambler, but the only ones in my size are too dirt biased by the looks, so then I thought maybe Dunlop TT100GP's as they seem to have "the look" and apparently some performance, but I don't know anyone who's tried them...

sigpic

Comment

Put some roadies and go for the "retro / super motard" look .
          You could be a trend setter .
          Just get it sorted before January (I've got leave , so it's on) .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Ha... trend setter? Well... ha

Man January is looking so shaky for me... haven't even started on leave pass discussions... wife's about to start a new job and the bike's still at Tranzac... not boding well...

sigpic

Comment

Has links to consumer reports on their personal experiences with tires, and to reporting problems to the government.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Chapter 3.....

Dave,
                Our warranty department has found the tire to be defective. We have refunded your Visa in the amount of $107.93 on 06/23/2011.

Thank you and have a great day!
                Amy
                Customer Service
                Dennis Kirk, Inc.

955 S Field Ave.

Rush City, MN 55069

((800) 328-9280 ext. 2208

www.denniskirk.com
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  [B]Chapter 3.....Our warranty department has found the tire to be defective. We have refunded your Visa in the amount of $107.93 on 06/23/2011.
                  Excellent.
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Hi Guys & Gals,

I am new to the forum and found your excellent site while searching for information on Avon Roadrider tyres and the issue of cracking sidewalls.

I thought you might all be interested to know that this problem still seems to be an issue with recently manufactured Avon Roadrider tyres here in the UK.

In early summer I fitted a brand new Roadrider to my other bike, a K******I 750 (My other rides are a GS850GN and FJ1200). The tyre was fitted with a proper tyre soap that I have been using for many years and have used on many tyres. The tyre did not come into contact with any contaminants.

After about 3 to 4 months I noticed the sidewall was cracking, and not just a little bit. The cracks were definitely not there when the tyre was mounted on the rim as I always inspect any new tyres fastidiously before fitting. The manufacture date on the tyre was June 2010.

As soon as I noticed the cracking and became aware of it being a well documented problem I replaced the tyre with another brand with no further issues.

Unfortunately the supplier I purchased the tyre from had their premises burnt down at the time. Due to this and a busy problematic family life at the time I decided I could not be doing with the hassle of chasing it up and so chalked it up to experience.

Anyway, I hope this is of interest to some as it seems Avon may still have not addressed this issue fully, certainly here in the UK.

Cheers,

IGS

Comment

Mr.IGS, Welcome to the GSRs ! You can just add info / comments to this thread. Its kind of the unofficial "hows your Road Rider" log. Dont need to start a new thread. If you have your reciept for the bad tire (tyre) I would pursue a refund. Hey, its a 100bucks.

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                      I'm sure you'll watch your new tire like a hawk
                      Put the Bike to bed for the winter. Inspected the new Tire which I probably got 1500 miles on. Saw no signs of cracking. This is where I was a year ago and when spring came around it was cracked. Ill give it a look-see in a month or so and report. BTW....its 5f here. Still wondering if its a cold temp related issue .
                      Last edited by bonanzadave; 12-07-2011, 10:00 AM.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

You ever been to the UK... pretty cold there too (though not 5f cold for sure...)
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                        X