Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Avon Roadrider cracking Again

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/equipment/tires/

Has links to consumer reports on their personal experiences with tires, and to reporting problems to the government.
    [Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

bonanzadave is offline Forum Guru Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Chapter 3.....

Dave,
    Our warranty department has found the tire to be defective. We have refunded your Visa in the amount of $107.93 on 06/23/2011.

Thank you and have a great day!
    Amy
    Customer Service
    Dennis Kirk, Inc.

955 S Field Ave.

Rush City, MN 55069

((800) 328-9280 ext. 2208

www.denniskirk.com
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Quote Originally Posted by bonanzadave View Post
    [B]Chapter 3.....Our warranty department has found the tire to be defective. We have refunded your Visa in the amount of $107.93 on 06/23/2011.
    Excellent.
    [Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

IGS Guest

Hi Guys & Gals,

I am new to the forum and found your excellent site while searching for information on Avon Roadrider tyres and the issue of cracking sidewalls.

I thought you might all be interested to know that this problem still seems to be an issue with recently manufactured Avon Roadrider tyres here in the UK.

In early summer I fitted a brand new Roadrider to my other bike, a K******I 750 (My other rides are a GS850GN and FJ1200). The tyre was fitted with a proper tyre soap that I have been using for many years and have used on many tyres. The tyre did not come into contact with any contaminants.

After about 3 to 4 months I noticed the sidewall was cracking, and not just a little bit. The cracks were definitely not there when the tyre was mounted on the rim as I always inspect any new tyres fastidiously before fitting. The manufacture date on the tyre was June 2010.

As soon as I noticed the cracking and became aware of it being a well documented problem I replaced the tyre with another brand with no further issues.

Unfortunately the supplier I purchased the tyre from had their premises burnt down at the time. Due to this and a busy problematic family life at the time I decided I could not be doing with the hassle of chasing it up and so chalked it up to experience.

Anyway, I hope this is of interest to some as it seems Avon may still have not addressed this issue fully, certainly here in the UK.

Cheers,

IGS

bonanzadave is offline Forum Guru Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Mr.IGS, Welcome to the GSRs ! You can just add info / comments to this thread. Its kind of the unofficial "hows your Road Rider" log. Dont need to start a new thread. If you have your reciept for the bad tire (tyre) I would pursue a refund. Hey, its a 100bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I'm sure you'll watch your new tire like a hawk
    Put the Bike to bed for the winter. Inspected the new Tire which I probably got 1500 miles on. Saw no signs of cracking. This is where I was a year ago and when spring came around it was cracked. Ill give it a look-see in a month or so and report. BTW....its 5f here. Still wondering if its a cold temp related issue .
    Last edited by bonanzadave; 12-07-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

You ever been to the UK... pretty cold there too (though not 5f cold for sure...)

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/