Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another Coil Relay Mod (with Dyna S)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
    I know I am resurrecting an old thread, Jim, but a couple quick questions:

#1. Do you still recommend powering the 12v relay from the "aux" output on the stock fuse block? I plan to do this, since the relay will be mounted on the electrics plate, using one of the factory R/R mounting holes and it makes for a shorter (& neater) wire run.

#2. The relay will be protected via the main fuse, so the 12v lead from "aux" (+) to the 30 pin won't need to be protected by an inline fuse, correct?

Mike

The Aux output is good. Actually the Aux is protected by it's own fuse and the Main has nothing to do with it. If you are spade type fuse box with diagonal tabs then you should be able to clean it and be as good as any other inline fuse holder.

I started off using the Aux port. While doing some harness surgery I powered the relay with an inline fuse direct from the "T". I accessed that point for a volt meter as well.

This was all before eventually going to the SSPB.

Jim

Comment

Sweet.

The fuse block is about two years old...it is a factory Suzuki fuse block with the diagonal tabs. Going to pull it out and give it a good hosing down with De Oxit, and replace all the fuses.

Just thought of another question:

I am really trying to make all these mods as clean and neat as possible...I hate wiring rats' nests.

Would grounding the relay @ the aux (-) defeat work to defeat the purpose of the SPG? Grounding to the aux (-) would mean a nice short 4" wire tucked nicely out of the way. Running the ground to the SPG @ the R/R would mean a ground about 8-10".

I will endeavor to get a photo of what I have run so far and post it here.

Here we go...in this photo I have the ground for the relay run to aux (-).

relay mod.jpg

The fused link to pin #30 has since been replaced with a 12g red wire sans fuse.
      Last edited by Cassius086; 11-11-2014, 03:02 PM.
      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Here is another:

10369985_10205256086310522_8376557896206128718_n_zps50934e90.jpg

I wanted to use the Triumph harness, so the R/R wouldn't fit in the stock location due to the plug shells. However, it fits nicely on the back of the plate (flipped upside down). Plenty of clearance for the seat, and the rear mounting hole for the air box is right there for a nice short frame ground from the SPG on the 775.

Thoughts? Critiques? Suggestions?
        Last edited by Cassius086; 11-11-2014, 09:48 AM.
        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
          Sweet.

The fuse block is about two years old...it is a factory Suzuki fuse block with the diagonal tabs. Going to pull it out and give it a good hosing down with De Oxit, and replace all the fuses.

Just thought of another question:

I am really trying to make all these mods as clean and neat as possible...I hate wiring rats' nests.

Would grounding the relay @ the aux (-) defeat work to defeat the purpose of the SPG? Grounding to the aux (-) would mean a nice short 4" wire tucked nicely out of the way. Running the ground to the SPG @ the R/R would mean a ground about 8-10".

I will endeavor to get a photo of what I have run so far and post it here.

Here we go...in this photo I have the ground for the relay run to aux (-).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37123[/ATTACH]

The fused link to pin #30 has since been replaced with a 12g red wire sans fuse.
          The ground for the relay doesn't have much bearing on anything. It is on all the time when running but is only like 40 mAmps. Grounding to the fuse box is like grounding to the B/W which is coming back to your SPG anyway.

Since all your wires are all cut to length the SPG could be anywhere on the mounting plate. I would put the SPG so your harness B/W can be in the same stack.

If the fuse box is grungy, I use naval jelly and wash with water then treat with the Deoxit.

Looks clean, do you have a picture of the R/R on the other side? No battery clearance issues?

Comment

Thanks again, Jim!!

I'm not sure if I have a photo of the backside with the plate in place, but there aren't any clearance issues with the battery. I'll check. If I don't, I will see about taking a photo this evening with the battery in place after I get home from work.

The fuse box is actually quite clean, but I am going to give it a once over just to be thorough.
            Last edited by Cassius086; 11-11-2014, 03:48 PM.
            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

My apologies for crappy cell phone photo. It looks like the battery is touching the R/R, but in fact there is nearly 1/8" of clearance. Not as much as I remember it being when I first threw things in there just to see if everything would go in place.

RRlocation_zpse3917fdb.jpg

Given that these R/Rs run so much cooler, do you think there would be a heat issue created for the battery? At the very least I'd think there would be no issue when moving, given the amount of airflow thru there since I am running pods.

On another note from your earlier post: I seriously doubt the B/W from the harness will reach the SPG I have @ the moment (an R/R mounting point), so I am going to do some measuring and make more ground leads to put the SPG closer to the front of the electrics mounting plate using an existing threaded hole in the plate.
              Last edited by Cassius086; 11-12-2014, 11:35 AM.
              Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Working...
              X