Engine bogs at 5500 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine bogs at 5500 rpm

My 81 gs1100e bogs at 5500 to 6000 rpm. Other than that it runs great. It starts well, idles nicely, and accelerates extremely fast until it hits 5500 and then it starts to bog and won't accelerate anymore. Once you shift and bring the rpms down it accelerates normally again, until it reaches 5500 or 6000 rpm. The bike has been heavily customized for racing. It has performance exhaust, 13to1 compression, mikuni carbs, and depending on who you talk to puts out 135 to 150 hp. I am running premium fuel, and have had the carbs professionally cleaned. The bike sat for 2 years before I bought it, and it ran great for the guy I bought it from. He used to race it and catwalk it all the time. Any ideas? Nothing has changed since he parked it, and I got it cleaned up and running.

Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2009, 11:55 PM.

Originally posted by gstom View Post
    My 81 gs1100e bogs at 5500 to 6000 rpm. Other than that it runs great. It starts well, idles nicely, and accelerates extremely fast until it hits 5500 and then it starts to bog and won't accelerate anymore. Once you shift and bring the rpms down it accelerates normally again, until it reaches 5500 or 6000 rpm. The bike has been heavily customized for racing. It has performance exhaust, 13to1 compression, mikuni carbs, and depending on who you talk to puts out 135 to 150 hp. I am running premium fuel, and have had the carbs professionally cleaned. The bike sat for 2 years before I bought it, and it ran great for the guy I bought it from. He used to race it and catwalk it all the time. Any ideas? Nothing has changed since he parked it, and I got it cleaned up and running.

Sounds to me like fouled carbs......my outboard motor on the boat does the same thing after sitting all winter with fuel in the carbs. I run some Sea Foam through a couple tanks of gas and it cleanse them up from the inside out! Worth a try....

Comment

carbs

Just got the carbs professionally cleaned before I started running it. It was the first thing I did since it was sitting so long. That and an oil change.

Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2009, 12:03 AM.

Comment

"professionally cleaned" by a motorcycle service station? They should have noticed the bogg down at 5500 rpm and NEVER should have let them leave in that condition then!

ANY reputable service department will test their work post service.......take it back to them and let them fix it!

Comment

Check your timing. I was just playing around with mine the other day and afterwards it did the same thing. It's completely normal until I hit about 5000 to 5500 RPM. My points are a bit worn, but I'm putting in a DYNA S on Saturday so I'm not too worried about it at this point. Plus it's supposed to be rainy until then anyway.

Comment

I had same problem on my 650... one of the earths to the frame had a bad conenction to the loom by the mounts at the front of the tank....

also make sure shes running on all 4... (just touch the header pipes)

another thing is the monkeys at the shop who did your carbs could have changed the jets thinking it was too rich... not knowing the extent of the modifications i would give them a call...

they could have also over oiled the air filter.

hope that helps.

Skid.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2009, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X