Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gs1000 hydraulic clutch

Default gs1000 hydraulic clutch

toying with the idea, anyone here done it?
    1978 GS1085.

Smile Hyd. Cl.

I am also trying to do it on my
    GS11's. I am also trying to trim the field too.
    I have a few parts left if you need some. Master cylinder and maybe a spare slave.
    I need to have the tranny modified and make a seal holder for the left side of the trans shaft along with some guide for the pushrod. The right side may be ready to accept the pusher but the hole needs to be deepend some and the main hold through the shaft needs to be bored out all the was through. I was talking to R&D in Florida to do it but since I lost my job, I have to wait.
    GREG

Tricky - there was a post on here not long ago about a guy who'd done it on another bike (Yamaha?) and was going to have a go on his GS.

(And there's you suggesting to Turbo Billy not to waste his money.........we're all blo*dy mad)
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Smile H.c.

(What?)
    It's been done before. Someone in California with a red GS11E. Used Interceptor parts.
    It was in an old Motorcyclist mag.
    GREG

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirehog View Post
    Tricky - there was a post on here not long ago about a guy who'd done it on another bike (Yamaha?) and was going to have a go on his GS.

(And there's you suggesting to Turbo Billy not to waste his money.........we're all blo*dy mad)
    seen the yamaha one, its completely different to a gs set up, looking at the one on OSS, looks fairly straight forward but means i will have to modify my outrigger bearing plate
    1978 GS1085.

If it ain't broke, Why fix it?????? I thought they had been working fine since 1977

Quote Originally Posted by rphillips View Post
    If it ain't broke, Why fix it?????? I thought they had been working fine since 1977
    Yeah AgeMax,

what is the point?

Bling?

Too old to squeeze that clutch lever?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

gryyphyn Guest

Cool Understandable

I really want to run this mod. Better reaction, lower travel, lower effort, cleaner looks and no more playing with cable routing. There's a multitude of reasons to do it and I'm afraid that the old 'ain't broke don't fix it' addage is a load of hogwash. There was no problem with this bike, or many other bikes, but manufacturers continue to develop improvements. Could you really say the same to them?

Anyone able to spot a how-to article somewhere? I haven't been able to find anything thus far...

Everyone sees things differently. No better reaction than a solid link from clutch lever to pressure plate, as with a cable. Hydrolic may be as good, but not better. You're probably right about lower travel & lower effort. Depends on the look you like, I like the look of the very small clutch perch on the handlebar than the big master cylinder & reservoir. I like the looks of the 1/4" OD cable better than a 1/2" OD hydraulic hose coming off the handlebar. The little rubber boot & chrome actuator arm on the clutch cover is barely noticable, I would think if you put a slave cylinder on there, it would be much more noticable. And I'm sure the routing of the big hydraulic hose would be as much or more aggrivating than the routing of that little cable, if you want to change handlebar heights, you can get different leingth cables, without having them special made, as you would with a hose. I guess I'm looking at it as with cars. I drove my dodge truck 260,000 mi over the 22 yrs I owned it, & when I got rid of it, it had the orig. clutch cable on it. My brother replaced his hydraulic clutch system on his "98" ford truck in 2004, 5 yr old & 70,000 mi. A $10 universal joint does the same thing as a $125 CV joint, & a $125 strut does the same thing as a $15 shock. Sometimes mfg's do make improvements, and sometimes they just want you to think they are improvements. Look at the Suzuki pet cock for 1980. In 1981 they went back to the earlier system, because the "NEW & IMPROVED" was so screwed up. If you want a hydraulic clutch, I really hope you get it worked out, I want everyone to be happy, but if you want it because it's newer & more modern, give it some thought. Remember, General motors used hydraulic clutches back in the early 1960's, till they found linkages & cables worked much better, with much less maintenance. Just my opinion. Good luck,

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by gryyphyn View Post
    I really want to run this mod. Better reaction, lower travel, lower effort, cleaner looks and no more playing with cable routing. There's a multitude of reasons to do it and I'm afraid that the old 'ain't broke don't fix it' addage is a load of hogwash. There was no problem with this bike, or many other bikes, but manufacturers continue to develop improvements. Could you really say the same to them?
    There are lots of modern/current bikes running cable clutch actuation. Not saying hydraulic is bad, just different. Personally, I don't see the point of adding complexity on a 30 year old motorcycle.