Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Key went into ignition before, won't now??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key went into ignition before, won't now??

Shade tree mechanic for a number of years, have had a number of bikes, first GS
    1980 GS450, ran two years ago (started by my own hand)
    Sat for since then have been doing rehab work on this and other bikes. Went to start it the other day, key no longer goes into the ignition???

I don't know how this is possible, but I started the bike as a project to teach some friends how to wrench a few years ago. We got it started, but it had a very very fast oil leak, so we shut it off. So I have seen it run, and know that the ignition works, and the key goes in and it does turn. This bike is low on the priority list so when I got around to trying to fire it up the other day I was confused when the key wouldn't even go in. Not only does it not go into the ignition, but it won't go into the ignition, helmet lock, or tank lock. The only possible explanation I can think of is that somehow I have the wrong key, but one of the guys from the project team thinks this is the right key too. It's on the key ring that the GS key was, it has the same head as the GS key - the only thing I don't remember 100% was what the shaft of the key looked like, and since that's likely the prohibitive issue here, I'm not sure how to proceed. I'll try to take a picture and post it ASAP.

Any other GS450 riders, could you take a picture facing down the shaft (as though you were looking out of the ignition assembly) of your key for me? Thanks in advance.
    -Det

Key

It sounds like you are trying to use the wrong key. Take the helmet lock off and take it to a locksmith. bmac

Comment

You have the wrong key...

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Detsurt,

If you can find a three-digit number on the ignition switch, helmet lock, or gas cap, a good locksmith can cut you a new key, providing he has a blank (which are orderable online).

If I may, I'll give you the unofficial "mega-welcome". Pay particular attention to the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. There are plenty of tutorials on my site and I have links to those on Mr. bwringer's site and Mr. Matchless' site. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X