carb question - airbox to pod filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb question - airbox to pod filters

hey everyone, i recently came up on a 1980 suzuki gs 750 for $100.00 from my friend. basically he had it running perfect but decited to chop the back into a hardtail and never really finished putting it back together. So i finally got the thing running and thats where my question comes up. when they chopped it the old airbox got thrown away (not to mention im not sure it would fit in the new frame) so when i run the bike it idles weired and bogs down when you try to rev it because its getting way more air than the carbs were originally tuned to. i think im gonna order some pod filters for it and i know a guy who does carb syncing but i was wondering will a carb sync get this thing running right or is it way more tech than that. i dont wanna order the pod filters if its not gonna work right. i know the bike runs perfect, its just a matter of getting it all tuned right. Ive also heard about dynajet stage 3 kits but im a rookie at this. any advice??? thanks

Well, ya need filters. Then you gonna need bigger jets to feed more gas into the mixture since yous got more air. DJ3 is useuly for 4+1 and pod filters, but ya git a selecion of jets. Learn about plug chops.

Comment

Dyno-Jet

If you are going to run pods, you need the Dyno-Jet kit. The main thing you need from the kit are the needles. They are tapered different. A buddy tried to just drill the slide, and re-jet. He didn't get it running right until after he bought the kit and changed the needles.

Comment

If you're DEAD SET on pods, GET A DYNOJET KIT. Otherwise, have fun pulling your hair out. Even with a Dynojet kit, its not going to be perfect, but it will be DAMN close. However, IMO, save yourself the money, and stick with the airbox man. the 3 maybe HP you get out of running pods isnt worth the hastle, and the airbox on that bike is not hard to get in and out...

Comment

I agree that you probably need to try to
          put the air box back in. With a hard tail
          you are most likely going to use the lower
          rpms and take it easy to save your back.
          If you have CV carbs, the chances of getting
          good low RPM response with Pods is pretty slim.
          With slide carbs you may have a chance with
          a lot of work.

Comment

[QUOTE=TheCafeKid; However, IMO, save yourself the money, and stick with the airbox man. the 3 maybe HP you get out of running pods isnt worth the hastle, and the airbox on that bike is not hard to get in and out...[/QUOTE]

+1

Find a air box on ebay and you're good to go.

Comment

Send the carbs to me with a Dynojet kit and I'll jet them for you.
              Bahh on the non-believers.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

What do you do if you have a ´77 gs750? Dynojet kits only go back to '80...

Comment

Originally posted by Beaver View Post
                  What do you do if you have a ´77 gs750? Dynojet kits only go back to '80...
                  You're in a better position as you've got VM carbs - way easier to dial in. You'll need to fiddle with the fuel screws / airscrews for the pilot circuit, raise the needles and pop in some bigger mains. Do a search on here for the base figures depending on the pods / exhaust set up you intend to run.

For the CV carbs I'm plus another one - leave the stock airbox in place. CVs are a b*gger to tune in across the whole range otherwise
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

well, its official... i took a trip to the salvage yard and the stock airbox doesn't fit. so im running pods and have been thinking about ordering the dynajet kit tomorrow. iw as just wondering how hard it is to install and get working properly yourself. i know my way around mechnical things pretty good but im no carb expert. is carb synching necessary after installing the kit or should i be good to go? also the bike has the pipes cut off under the bike. im assuming i should put an exhaust on it before i do the carbs and all that so i dont mess with the back pressure? i was just gonna put straight pipes on it and maybe pound some baffles in there if needed. thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                    X