No announcement yet.

GS Stators : Helpful additions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are quite a few factory manuals, using the GS750 16 valve as an example, that actually state the charging limits to be 14-15.5V @ 5000RPM Different models of regulators actually have slightly varying upper limits.

I have just seen a GS550 fitted with a sensing regulator and the sensing wire was taped up, charging was about 16.5V - no regulation!

So if I may comment. Many folks looking at a fault finding chart will most likely be starting with a poorly charging bike and/or with non OEM parts fitted.
    If the battery, stator and regulator is faulty at the same time someone could easily start chasing their tail. The first test should really be to prove or eliminate a component, i.e the battery which can be tested out of the bike (charging and load), the stator can be tested without being connected to the system (AC and insulation), the regulator requires both before mentioned items to be in circuit and working, your guide fits in at this point exactly.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Comment

Getting at the bad battery question...

Exactly what is the mechanism for the R/R putting out 16.5V to charge a bad battery (defined by won't hold a charge)?

An example: a previously good battery (previously charging at 14.58V @ 4000rpm) is not now (now charging at 16.5V at 4000rpm). I swap out a known good battery from another bike and get charging at 14.5V @ 4000rpm. I presume this rules out the R/R as a cause of the high charging.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Bump: Still not integrated into the "official" Stator pages.

Comment

And we are coming up on the 5 year anniversary of start of this thread.

Comment

Are those papers in the care of the government? Timewise, seems it were so.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

There is a lot of stuff that could be/needs to be updated on the GSR website.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Im glad this thread was bumped.....ive been dragging my feet, and not riding much this year, but im planning to change my Electerx regulator to a Shindengen, and plan to fully go thru the charging as a precaution.....its currently ok but.........
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

For Posterity: More early analysis of the Shunt PM Systems and a hypothetical discussion of a Series R/R. Looks like my First Thread I ever started.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

I just saw your post and I was considering the same today. It might help if the two units are closely matched so they share current. Then you have basically more power handeling capacity. Otherwise it might be that only one carries the shunt current and the other waits in reserve. Not the best solution but possibly better than no backup which is what a single regulator is. This also does nothing to reduce the stress on the stator when it is cranking mega amps at 10K RPM.

A better solution is to have the series regulator then if it fails (hopefully open) then the generator power goes no where. With the shunt regulator, if the shunt dies (open for example), then there is no place for the generator power to go but cook the battery and fry the electronics. If it shorts it is worse.

Even if the series regulator shorts it is no worse then the best case shunt. And more than likely the series will go open or have no output so it is hard to argue that there is any situation where the series regulator is worse than this shunt approach. 99% of the time it will be better.

Bottom line is that it will help about a 1/4 of the potential problems but ther are better approaches (I think).

Posplayr

Comment

Can someone point me to the Phase B of the Stator Testing Flow chart. I can't find any links that work anymore.

Greetings
                    Richard
                    sigpic
                    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                      Can someone point me to the Phase B of the Stator Testing Flow chart. I can't find any links that work anymore.

Greetings

In the link in my signature under "GS Charging Health" you will find that quoted below............

And here are some updates with background to the Phase B tests that focus on the stator alone.

A revised test is at this link; The actual test is on Page 6 of 9. We added the leg to ground AC voltage test as this helps isolate insulation breakdowns to ground using the relatively high 60-80 VAC stator voltage when it is open loop.

Link to Revised PHASE B of Stator Pages with discussion of testing methods:
                      http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3977...4-pm-649k?da=y

Comment

Thanks Pops.
                        Richard
                        sigpic
                        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I'm looking to upgrade the charging system on my 79 1000e. There's a lot of talk about the regulator/rectifier. I have a SH775. Not much talk on the stator itself. What is the preferred stator now a days? Electro Sport, Ricks? I have one of Steve's SteveOstator's in my 850 but I don't think Steve is in the stator business any more. Any thoughts or suggestions.
                          My Motorcycles:
                          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)
                          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Reality it probably doesn't matter what stator you pick as it will be under so much less stress using teh SERIES R/R (like teh SH-775), . The Electrosports have supposed 20% higher output which I assume is at idle and these seem to work well using the SERIES R/R even if they are too stressed and fail more often using a SHUNT R/R.

So the primary benefit you should get from an Electrosport over any other brand is that:
                            1.) the idle voltage should be a little higher
                            2.) The Electrosports should be more stable owing to the heavy epoxy coatings that I have seen compared to others.

On the other hand one of the other to ranked suppliers (Ricks?) provides a new replacement grommet for the stator wires. This has been less of a concern for me as I use the black goop to seal everything rather that let the grommet pressure keep oil from seeping.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                              I'm looking to upgrade the charging system on my 79 1000e. There's a lot of talk about the regulator/rectifier. I have a SH775. Not much talk on the stator itself. What is the preferred stator now a days? Electro Sport, Ricks? I have one of Steve's SteveOstator's in my 850 but I don't think Steve is in the stator business any more. Any thoughts or suggestions.
                              It's been very well documented about the weak or substandard rectifier/regulating systems on these Suzuki's. But as long as I've owned the 3 Suzuki's I had over the years, I never did have one fail.
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                              X