Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GS Stators : Helpful additions

There is a lot of stuff that could be/needs to be updated on the GSR website.
    MrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Im glad this thread was bumped.....ive been dragging my feet, and not riding much this year, but im planning to change my Electerx regulator to a Shindengen, and plan to fully go thru the charging as a precaution.....its currently ok but.........

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

posplayr is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

For Posterity: More early analysis of the Shunt PM Systems and a hypothetical discussion of a Series R/R. Looks like my First Thread I ever started.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=118210

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...46&postcount=9

I just saw your post and I was considering the same today. It might help if the two units are closely matched so they share current. Then you have basically more power handeling capacity. Otherwise it might be that only one carries the shunt current and the other waits in reserve. Not the best solution but possibly better than no backup which is what a single regulator is. This also does nothing to reduce the stress on the stator when it is cranking mega amps at 10K RPM.

A better solution is to have the series regulator then if it fails (hopefully open) then the generator power goes no where. With the shunt regulator, if the shunt dies (open for example), then there is no place for the generator power to go but cook the battery and fry the electronics. If it shorts it is worse.

Even if the series regulator shorts it is no worse then the best case shunt. And more than likely the series will go open or have no output so it is hard to argue that there is any situation where the series regulator is worse than this shunt approach. 99% of the time it will be better.

Bottom line is that it will help about a 1/4 of the potential problems but ther are better approaches (I think).

Posplayr

"The smallest giant of mankind, is he who stands on the shoulders of a larger giant who himself stands on the shoulders of yet a larger giant, and therefore sees the most light from GOD." Posplayr 2017 adapted from : Bernard of Chartres

Can someone point me to the Phase B of the Stator Testing Flow chart. I can't find any links that work anymore.

Greetings
    Richard

GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by londonboards View Post
    Can someone point me to the Phase B of the Stator Testing Flow chart. I can't find any links that work anymore.

Greetings

In the link in my signature under "GS Charging Health" you will find that quoted below............

And here are some updates with background to the Phase B tests that focus on the stator alone.

A revised test is at this link; The actual test is on Page 6 of 9. We added the leg to ground AC voltage test as this helps isolate insulation breakdowns to ground using the relatively high 60-80 VAC stator voltage when it is open loop.

Link to Revised PHASE B of Stator Pages with discussion of testing methods:
    http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3977...4-pm-649k?da=y
    Read about Charging Quick Test GS Charging Health GS Stator

"The smallest giant of mankind, is he who stands on the shoulders of a larger giant who himself stands on the shoulders of yet a larger giant, and therefore sees the most light from GOD." Posplayr 2017 adapted from : Bernard of Chartres

Thanks Pops.
    Richard

GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

I'm looking to upgrade the charging system on my 79 1000e. There's a lot of talk about the regulator/rectifier. I have a SH775. Not much talk on the stator itself. What is the preferred stator now a days? Electro Sport, Ricks? I have one of Steve's SteveOstator's in my 850 but I don't think Steve is in the stator business any more. Any thoughts or suggestions.
    My Motorcycles:
    21 Triumph Tiger 900 GT (coming to a town near you)
    16 Yamaha FJR1300 (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    82 750e (parts Bike)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

Past Site Supporter

Reality it probably doesn't matter what stator you pick as it will be under so much less stress using teh SERIES R/R (like teh SH-775), . The Electrosports have supposed 20% higher output which I assume is at idle and these seem to work well using the SERIES R/R even if they are too stressed and fail more often using a SHUNT R/R.

So the primary benefit you should get from an Electrosport over any other brand is that:
    1.) the idle voltage should be a little higher
    2.) The Electrosports should be more stable owing to the heavy epoxy coatings that I have seen compared to others.

On the other hand one of the other to ranked suppliers (Ricks?) provides a new replacement grommet for the stator wires. This has been less of a concern for me as I use the black goop to seal everything rather that let the grommet pressure keep oil from seeping.
    Read about Charging Quick Test GS Charging Health GS Stator

Quote Originally Posted by storm 64 View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade the charging system on my 79 1000e. There's a lot of talk about the regulator/rectifier. I have a SH775. Not much talk on the stator itself. What is the preferred stator now a days? Electro Sport, Ricks? I have one of Steve's SteveOstator's in my 850 but I don't think Steve is in the stator business any more. Any thoughts or suggestions.
    It's been very well documented about the weak or substandard rectifier/regulating systems on these Suzuki's. But as long as I've owned the 3 Suzuki's I had over the years, I never did have one fail.

Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."