Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument console project

This is what I have today:

The familiar Big Box o'Gauges. The speedo is quite inaccurate and the rev counter is acting sloppy as well. I'm thinking about swapping it for some sleek, high tech German stuff from http://www.motogadget.com/

Looks cool no? Accurate speedo, accurate and beautiful rev counter, looks old school but contains cool stuff like ambient temp, oil temp, auto-measured 0-100 kph times and so on. It's not a non-functional to functional kind of swap, it's for looks, nerd functions and general coolness.

It has a gear indicator, but it's one of those where it calculates the gear from speed/rev math. But my current gear indicators works really really well, it won't light up the lamp if I get a false neutral for instance. So I want to keep that. There is also no provision for fuel gauge on the motogadget thing, so I need to roll my own or source a suitably round-housed replacement.

Some bikes came with round fuel gauges, I figure I can just pick one up on ebay given that the ohm values match. If I find a bike with different ohm range, can I tweak it with resistors?

Also, weren't there some bikes that had gear position displayed as an LCD style number in a single box? Mine has individual lamps that light up, but a single box would allow me to put it in the same type of housing as the fuel gauge, thereby completely the symmetry.

Sort of like this oOo with the Motogadget in the middle and gas/gear indicator on either side.

Like it? The wiring will take a while, fabricating the bracket will also be new ground for me, but all in all a fun little project. Ideas? Inputs? Tips I'd really like is which bikes to source gear position / fuel gauge from, also alternative solutions of course.

Looks like a a beautiful ride coming up there. Where is it and where are you from? Is that a big Kat clock set; worth some Euro's I bet.

Motogadget has some pretty neat stuff.

M-Unit is interesting if you plan to do a full rewire or extensive wiring mods.

All features at a glance:

operation with push button switch gear or conventional switch gear (like Japanese or Euro-Bikes) is possible
    completely replaces the fuse box or circuit breakers. Up to 8 independent circuits can be digitally controlled and switched off if necessary. Automatic reset after fault clearance.
    diagnostic function with 15 indicator LEDs
    best operating safety due to switching operation with micro processor monitoring and controlling.
    flexible configuration of all functions due to easy setup
    no mechanical Relays. Latest solid state components switching extremly fast without voltage drop or wear
    small housing
    the m-Unit makes a very simple and easy wiring possible
    switching of high and low-beam with only one push button
    integrated digital hazard lights
    integrated digital, load independet flasher relay (like m-Flash). Self cancelling flashers adjustable
    integrated digital brake light modulator (like m-Stop). Flashing mode adjustable
    integrated horn relay
    integrated anti-theft alarm
    smart switch off fuction of loads during start
    possibility to operate your rear and brake light with only one wire
    absolutely water proof and vibration resistant
    'Made in Germany' by motogadget and therefore highest quality
    Last edited by posplayr; 06-04-2009, 12:07 PM.

Comment

The gauges are original from the GSX 750 ES, called the GS 700 ES on your side of the Atlantic. I removed the fairing, if you click the first pic in my sig you can see a pic of it. I might sell the gauges and the fairing

I live in Norway and the trip was indeed beautiful, click the second link for a whole load of pics and trip report.

OMG that M-Unit looks sexy! Hadn't noticed that before. What kind of expenses and time sink have you lured me into now?

Comment

I second that, Norway looks gorgeous! What a perfect looking ride! More pictures please!

Comment

More pics than you can shake a USB stick at: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407819

Comment

I like it but it is worth half as much as my bike!!

Comment

Working...
            X