stripped air screws... need ideas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped air screws... need ideas!

hey everyone, so i finally got around to putting in the dynojet kit and of course on the last step (adjusting the air screws) 2 of the screws were 90 % stripped and appear to be cross-threaded or something, its not that they are completely stuck, they definitely turn but the further you go the harder it gets and at this point they are gonna be all the way stripped before they ever come out. yesterday i tried to easy-out one and it snapped off inside the screw, not fun. so at this point i think im gonna try to set em up totally level and drill em out with a drill press hoping to god i dont drill into the side and then re-tapping the threads. can anyone think of a better way to get these things out, its soooo close to running....

also, any ideas on where i can get a set of new air screws. most places sell carb rebuild kits with em but im trying to avoid spending $22.00 a carb being all laid-off and broke for some lousy screws. thanks

Originally posted by thrashin88 View Post
    hey everyone, so i finally got around to putting in the dynojet kit and of course on the last step (adjusting the air screws) 2 of the screws were 90 % stripped and appear to be cross-threaded or something, its not that they are completely stuck, they definitely turn but the further you go the harder it gets and at this point they are gonna be all the way stripped before they ever come out. yesterday i tried to easy-out one and it snapped off inside the screw, not fun. so at this point i think im gonna try to set em up totally level and drill em out with a drill press hoping to god i dont drill into the side and then re-tapping the threads. can anyone think of a better way to get these things out, its soooo close to running....

also, any ideas on where i can get a set of new air screws. most places sell carb rebuild kits with em but im trying to avoid spending $22.00 a carb being all laid-off and broke for some lousy screws. thanks
    sent you a PM

Comment

I don't have any pictures (yet) of what I have done, but I have used my Dremel with a large reinforced cut-off wheel to cut a groove down the tower and enlarge the slot in the top of the screw. It helps to have the slot in the screw head aligned across the carb throat so your new slot is in the same location, just deeper. Use some spray carb cleaner to blast out any chips, put a drop or two of oil to lubricate the threads, unscrew the screw.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok so I have a similar situation - the P.O. of these ebay'ed carbs I got must have over tightened the air screw and caused the needle to snap off.

Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with.

So far these are my thoughts on how to deal with it... either - drill it - though I haven't really figured out what would happen next after that... maybe try fishing it out with a hooked wire or tap a nail into it and hope it pulls out... again there's no threading on this part of it.

or disassemble the carbs - which I really don't want to have to and blow compressed air through it... or replace it entirely with another spare body - which I'm not too keen on having to do either / leaving it as the last absolute last option... Ideally I'd like to figure out a way to just pull that little snapped piece out and put the one in the pic in - done...

In the pic is a duplicate example of the needle / air mixture screw that is broken. It's snapped after the o ring.

Comment

i had the same issue on my 1100's carbs... the PO left them outside and all the screws were seized up.

first i loaded em up with pb-blaster over the course of several hours, then let them sit overnight, the next morning more pb blaster, then a blowtorch for a min.... ended up stripping the head slot when i tried using a screwdriver, so then it was on to the drill press and a bolt extractor....

was able to get three of the four screws out but then the evil 4th one gave me some issues...

first extractor... broke... drilled a bigger hole... second bigger extractor.... snapped....

upon attempting to drill out the second extractor the drill bit started to veer into the body... i tried and tried to keep the darn thing straight but it kept veering off to the side...

after about 30 minutes of drilling, re-setting, drilling, using a hand drill, more drilling, and some manly sobbing.... i realized i had completely destroyed the body of the carb where the air screw goes in...

THANK GOD i had a junk set of carbs that matched in my garage... it was still a pain in the arse because i had to disassemble BOTH sets of carbs, rebuild a single carb from the junk set, and reassemble them all together again... but its finnally fixed now...

morale of the story: if the carb set isnt in good shape make SURE you use every resource available before you attempt to take anything apart, BE PATIENT, and think about what your going to do, start to finish, before you just "jump in there". or else you could end up doing what i did...

and if you must resort to using a bolt extractor, DONT do what i did and start off with a tiny one... get one that is as big as possible but will still fit... those things are made out of hardened steel. when the ends snap off in a softer metal they are a NIGHTMARE to get out... IF you can get them out at all....

~~~~ also, i still have three carbs sitting in my garage, they will need rebuilt, but they arent damaged and they are 100% complete. if it comes down to a destroyed carb body like mine did, i will sell you one cheap, or maybe even make a trade.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

~Nate
          Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2011, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DCrippa View Post
            Ok so I have a similar situation - the P.O. of these ebay'ed carbs I got must have over tightened the air screw and caused the needle to snap off.

Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with.

So far these are my thoughts on how to deal with it... either - drill it - though I haven't really figured out what would happen next after that... maybe try fishing it out with a hooked wire or tap a nail into it and hope it pulls out... again there's no threading on this part of it.

or disassemble the carbs - which I really don't want to have to and blow compressed air through it... or replace it entirely with another spare body - which I'm not too keen on having to do either / leaving it as the last absolute last option... Ideally I'd like to figure out a way to just pull that little snapped piece out and put the one in the pic in - done...

In the pic is a duplicate example of the needle / air mixture screw that is broken. It's snapped after the o ring.
            one thing i have done before is get some sort of thin "stick like" object, put a tiny dab of adhesive on it and try sticking it to the part and pulling it out.

also, i dont know if that part would be attracted to a magnet, but i have heard of people dropping screws into their engines and fishing them out with magnets.

Comment

I think Basscliff had a section on his website about this. Search "megawelcome" and I bet you'll find it.

Comment

HAHA! We're responding to a thread from 3 months ago. OP must have solved the problem or it's someone else's problem.

Comment

Working...
                X