Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need my head examined (beware monster pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just taking a dinner break. What a great day to be in the garage!

Cahllenge! Guess everything that's in the oil pan! That washer may be a challenge to some. I had to go check to make sure it wasn't somehow my fault that such a thing was in the pan. Is anything more vile than a PO?

Seriously, what's with all the metal in there? It's been a long time since I ground the gears...

OK, back to work.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post

EEwwww!

Notice how that o-ring is swollen -- it's a lot bigger than it should be. That's how mine failed.

The washer is from the starter gear, of course -- that actually happens a lot.

I've never seen that much gunk in the pan, though. What on earth happened to that poor bike?

Wish I had thought to toss in a few of those dowel pins for ya.
      Last edited by bwringer; 07-22-2009, 07:51 PM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Well, Fingers crossed for ya Dale, i hope it stays oil tight. Or at least MOSTLY oil tight. Got Cole's GK squared away. Buttoning that back up as we speak. Things have gone amazingly smooth today. Tooooo smooth. Something bad is bound to happen...

Comment

After leaving that o-ring on the floor for a few hours, it didn't seem much larger than the originals I had taken out. I didn't compare them side-by-side though.

There's a washer that look like that on the starter gear? I thought is was the back half of the clutch throwout bearing. It looks exactly like mine.
          Dogma
          --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            Well, Fingers crossed for ya Dale, i hope it stays oil tight. Or at least MOSTLY oil tight. Got Cole's GK squared away. Buttoning that back up as we speak. Things have gone amazingly smooth today. Tooooo smooth. Something bad is bound to happen...
            Gotcha covered. I finally got it back together about 3:40 last night. It wasn't responding to the throttle the way I'm used to, but I figured the bowls hadn't filled yet. I was feeling pretty loopy, so I took a shower went to bed. Up at 6:09 (one snooze), put the gear on and headed out. No power past 1/4 throttle or about 3500 rpm. Otherwise smooth and sounds a little funny. It looks like I somehow managed to screw up the cam timing again.
            Dogma
            --

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              Gotcha covered. I finally got it back together about 3:40 last night. It wasn't responding to the throttle the way I'm used to, but I figured the bowls hadn't filled yet. I was feeling pretty loopy, so I took a shower went to bed. Up at 6:09 (one snooze), put the gear on and headed out. No power past 1/4 throttle or about 3500 rpm. Otherwise smooth and sounds a little funny. It looks like I somehow managed to screw up the cam timing again.
              Just to wrap this thread up: Fixed the timing, and all was well for the 1300 or so miles at the WV rally. Thanks ot everyone for the help.
              Dogma
              --

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Glad you got everything wrapped up just in time, was a fun read. Hope you had a blast at the rally. You earned it!

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Reinstall head and spray water into the intake

Too much trouble ? OK get the wallnut shells out
                  Does the water thing actually work? Has anyone seen before and after kind of comparison?

Comment

I've heard that soaking carbon in a little bit of antifreeze will make it come right off. I haven't had a chance to try it yet though.

Comment

Working...
                    X