No announcement yet.

GS1100E Cafe fairing installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After I went through all of that I had decided to change my bars yet again, I ordered some Clubman bars but now the problem was that in order to mount them the turn signals had to move, basicly had to be upgraded because the front brake master cylinder would end up where the turn signals were originally mounted.

The next problem I ran into was that because of the front brake master cylinder the "J" shaped fairing mounts needed to be remanufactured again. Again using the GS1000S upper fairing brackets as a pattern I used some aluminum tubing, smashed one end with a vise, measured the length and adjusted for the proper angle then smashed to other end, made a couple of mount pads, then bolted the pads to the fairing and installed the bracket to get proper alignment.

These show the new brackets mounted and painted, as you can see in the pictures I riveted the mount pad to the bracket because as was said early on in this posting I don't weld and I have everything at my fingertips for riveting.

In the above picture of the R/H mount bracket you can get an idea of the problem with the brake master cylinder, how it would have impacted the first bracket and also how it fits perfectly into the cutout for the turn signal.

Just in case you're wondering, the plugs for the mirrors are rubber feet for a piece of furniture that is available at hardware stores.

The end result:

I just had to throw this in, My family crest, painted freehand by the same friend that painted the fairing and side covers for me.
    The shield I bought on ebay that had some basic design on it and the rapiers bought on line from a sword shop. It came out excellent.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by Coolshaft View Post
      I made the bottom brackets out off 1.2mm S/S scrapp bit and just bend them up after cutting them out from a cardboard patern.
      Also used the double nut block originally used to clamp the fork legs.
      You can easily spot weld them to the Stainless Steel bracket if so desired.
      I used balustrade brackets as they were already correctly bend and size.
      Modified them to suit.

On a Shaft drive, what this is, the fairing does fit snug with the front light.

Hopefully this helps a bit , otherwise please do remove!
      I like what you did with the brake master cylinder, mine is an integral part of the R/H lever assembly. That would probably be an easier/better solution to the problem I had with my master cylinder.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

came out looking great.

Comment

Got some mirrors from evilbay (cheap) to get it over the pits (licensed)

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson View Post
            I have the same fairing on my ’82. I found mine in a salvage barn for $20. It was an aftermarket that had never been mounted. Bought the screen from Gustaffsen. My mounting hardware was (and still is) sloppy barstock. Bottom is mounted to the screwholes for the reflector on the side of the forks. Top is mounted to the mirror holes (I use bar-ends).

Nothing’s pretty on my bike, but the fairing sure works great.

Good morning, Bert! Just giving you a hard time...

Don't the fairing brackets tweak the mirror threads? Quite small and fine for a fairing support, I would think...

Comment

Cool family crest, nice work

I just had to throw this in, My family crest, painted freehand by the same friend that painted the fairing and side covers for me.
              The shield I bought on ebay that had some basic design on it and the rapiers bought on line from a sword shop. It came out excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
                The end result:

Bike looks very nice; the black accents on the fairing and the Corbin pull the look together nicely.

The crest looks very nice as well

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Bike looks very nice; the black accents on the fairing and the Corbin pull the look together nicely.

The crest looks very nice as well
                  Originally posted by lynchman66 View Post
                  Cool family crest, nice work
                  (wacky941) I just had to throw this in, My family crest, painted freehand by the same friend that painted the fairing and side covers for me.

Thanks, I love the way the shield turned out, I've got it proudly displayed at the top of the stairs so that you cannot miss it when you walk through the doors. The motorcycle turned out great too, I've got an old toolbox it's a Lista mobile cabinet having two cabinets with five drawers each, I already redid the butcher block top on it in a dark walnut, the same friend who painted the bike parts and the shield is going to paint the box for me to match the motorcycle.

Comment

That is a SWEET bike!! You lucky dog.

Comment

I received an email with questions about this thread so I decided to resurrect it and update it a little.

In my last post I mentioned the toolbox and wanting it painted to match the bike, here it is:

Hopefully sometime soon I'll be adding some graphics to the box.

Comment

Your driveway and garage are WAY bigger than mine.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

That is a gorgeous bike. And toolbox.

Comment

That's a slick piant job and the tool box is the perfect complement to it!

Alls you need is a period Datsun 240Z painted to match!

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              Nice, Bike. I have the Maier on my ED cut to open the 7" hole to better match the 8" headlamp. It comes with a mounting kit (I'm pretty sure as the PO actually had it already installed). I think they are actually available separately.

Anyway your pics did not come though to see what you are doing.
                              TIA
                              posplayr

Do you have a larger pic of your bike? I am curious as to what the Maier looks like. Can't really tell from the pic in your avatar.

Comment

I purchased another Wes Cooley fairing from "Dude", I haven't bought the actual windscreen yet. The new fairing is for the other '82 1100EZ that I'm slowly (very slowly) building.

This time, I'm gonna stand it off just a little further from the headlight than I did on the red one in the photos.

It's probably gonna take a little longer now so I can get my nerve back with motorcycles again after my accident.

Comment

Working...
                                X