gs 550 carb rebuild problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 550 carb rebuild problems

I recently aquired a 1980 gs550e with 2 banks of carbs, the original, and a spare set. I was told I needed to remove the original jets and install them on the extra set and all would be good. Obviously it never works that way. So I have completely disassembled all 4 carbs, completely cleaned them yes even the pilot jet. I reinstalled all parts after cleaning and the bike will start and kind of idle but if I try to twist throttle cable past 2k rpm it boggs down and trys to die and as I let the throttle cable return to idle it starts to smooth back out some, but eventually dies.
    The bike ran good but too rich before swapping the jets around. The jets currently in it are the stock size jets, everything else is stock on the bike except I have K&N air pods rather than air box.
    I changed nothing on the bike other than to diassemble, completely clean, and reassemble the carbs and reinstall them on the bike. Please can anyone help me out with why cleaning and reinstalling clean carbs made my bike run crappier. Could I have made them that far out of sync while disassembling, cleaning and reinstalling??

If you have pods or anything else which would change your intake or exhaust then you need to rejet. I think you would best off buying a dynojet kit. If you want to avoid this you should put your stock airbox on.

Comment

question

I have dyno coils and I have a dyno box under my seat that says advance curve and retard and the other nob adjust something for the RPM is this what you are talking about?

Comment

No. You need to make changes to your carburetor. The pods are letting more air flow so you are running lean.

Comment

Originally posted by cattleclerk View Post
          I have dyno coils and I have a dyno box under my seat that says advance curve and retard and the other nob adjust something for the RPM is this what you are talking about?
          Originally posted by Dreef1999 View Post
          No. You need to make changes to your carburetor. The pods are letting more air flow so you are running lean.
          Yep, if you are running pods or a pipe, you WILL have to rejet the carbs. With stock jets, you will be running lean, leading to overheating problems.

Your box under the seat likely says "Dyna", not "Dyno". Dyna ignition systems are a popular upgrade, but they have nothing to do with the (also popular) Dynojet carb kits. The Dynojet kits will take most of the guesswork about rejetting your carbs.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When I originally put the carbs on It had 117 mainjets and (as I found out later) drilled out 40 pilot jets and it was running way too rich then so what size jets would you recommend?
            right now I have the 925 main, 40 pilot, x5 needle, 150 air.
            I will check into the dynojet kit and thank you for the info on the box under the seat. I am not a bike mechanic but do take instructions well and am willign to do the work so I do thank you for your help and suggestions for sure. Thankyou

Comment

Welcome !!
              Use the search function in the upper right of the forum page. Read, read, read !! I'm just guessing.....but....there's probably around 163,436 threads about re-jetting for pods. It's just a matter of getting the correct combination of jets.
              I'm an airbox, stock kinda guy myself.....
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

well I did use the search mode first. but I found none of the posts to have the same issues I was having. but thank you for reminding me of the search mode.
                I have done a lot more digging into the bike and have found......
                I have 2 dyna coils and a dyna 2000 controller. the coil on the left side of the bike is producing spark trough bother plug holes, however the right side coil is producing spark only through the front hole and is not producing any spark through the rear hole. thought maybe it was the plug wires but have switch plug wires and still no spark. Also tried a new plug still no spark.
                Why would I have spark on half of the coil??????

Comment

Working...
                X