No announcement yet.

july 2009.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great bike. The bags look great and the functionality is even better. I would sure like to have your set-up on my 83 GS1100E.

Comment

July 2009

You can do it too! Every once in a while, some GK bags, trunk and mounting frame come up for sale at a reasonable price. A little adjusting, some paint - and you're there

A key piece is the rear mounting bracket that goes where the rear turn signals would normally mount - there are two nuts fixed in place to that GK bracket. Swap the GK bracket with two holes for your E bracket with one hole. The lower hole is the mount for the lower frame of the bags, the upper hole is for the trunk frame. And if you don't use the trunk frame, you can make a simple "S" bracket to secure the saddlebag. The only part of the saddlebag and trunk mounting frame that doesn't immediately line up is the forward lower mount that connects to the exhaust hanger. That's the only adjusting part...

And if you don't have that GK rear upper bracket, you could make one pretty easy too. Check out any parts microfiche on-line and see all the parts you should have with the 82 GK "bumper" set up (#12 and 13 are the rear upper brackets.)
      Scott
      1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
      1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
      1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
      2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Scott, congratulations on the photo and well done on the hardbag mod. Very tidy and as some have said "looks factory", can't get much better than that! Cheers.
        Shin-Ken 1074
        1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
        1981 GSX1150 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight = 206 kg.

Comment

Scott, I remember you talking about getting the bags painted to match at Moosehead last year. Glad to see you had it done, and they look great! Congratulations on BOM. Ed.

Comment

Nice bike

Great set-up. I may try that sometime. Thanks for the tips!
            Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2009, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Congrats on a great looking ES Scott. Droptail yours looks to be in pretty good shape as well.

Comment

Working...
              X