No announcement yet.

GSXR Wheel Selections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the help guys, that was just what I needed to know. I think I will try for the 88 fork, I am not wanting a USD fork at all and I think I can get a good deal on this one

Comment

i have some 17" straight spoke, 5.5 rear wheel and front for sale if you end up needing them..

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        My setup came with 17" wheels so I'm not much use either but seems to be a case of bearing bushes (or bearing swap would work too) & spacers - that's it.

Dan
        Dan,
        So you have RSU, with 17" wheels and 20mm axles?What year model fork? What is the length of the forks (center of axle to top of tube)?

from the OSS site they say the 89's are pretty short. The 86-88's are all 30.25" which doesn't correlate well with the 648mm listed.

year length diam
        GSXR 1100 86-88 648 41
        GSXR 1100 89 588 41

Jim
        Last edited by posplayr; 07-07-2009, 02:31 AM.

Comment

I measured them at 30.25" the other week so I guess that makes them a 86-88. No idea what year actually. They were someone else's discarded project.

Yes, 20mm axles sounds about right as a guesstimate without going out to measure.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Wheels

Was there ever a 6 spoke style FRONT (like the 86-87 GSXR) that was available in 17"?

Comment

Originally posted by rdauenhauer View Post
              Was there ever a 6 spoke style FRONT (like the 86-87 GSXR) that was available in 17"?
              I dont think so..

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                I dont think so..
                here is a 5.5" one with the 6 spoke

Comment

This is from oldschoolsuzuki.com

here is a guy that is running radials and upgraded brakes on ED forks.

looks like 1st gen 2.75x18 wheel with various calipers/rotors (front and back) on GS1100ED forks/swingarm.

after further research the rear wheel is Bandit 600 17x4.5

besides the above mentioned parts, I'll guess at what it takes to do this; .......probably:

caliper mounts
                  F rotor spacers.
                  underslung brake ar mount on swing arm
                  530 chain conversion
                  rear wheel spacers
                  front wheel spacers
                  15mm ID Front axle bearings
                  radial tires

http://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bin/Yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1285589392

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Chassis
                  Frame: GSX1100E standard with bracing to increase stiffness
                  Suspension: Ohlins SU143 x 330mm length twin rear shocks
                  Forks: Katana 1100 front forks with custom pre-load adjuster, compression & rebound
                  Brakes: Honda CBR600F calipers with standard master cylinder, ZXR400L twin 300mm discs & Performance Friction brake pads front; Bandit rear caliper with EBC HH pads
                  Wheels: GSXR750 18" front wheel & Bandit 600, 160 x 172 rear wheel
                  Tyres: Avon AM22 Race front tyre and Michelin Pilot Race rear tyre (Medium compound)

Some more info from Longy.........

Hi Jim

Front wheel goes in but you need to adapt the spacers. This is a bit fiddly and resulted in a couple of washers! In so far as the brakes, they are straight off a h*nda CBR600F (the twin pot variety). You need to have made up special brackets to hang them. The discs are 300mm off a ZXR400, but you could probably use 310mm if you made the caliper hangers to suit.

Wheel bearings as standard.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Longy
                  Last edited by posplayr; 10-07-2010, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                    Hmm dunno about the USA but here in the UK an 88 1100 only ever came with a 4.5"x 17 rear wheel (160/60/17 was the stock tyre from memory )

Fronts were 3x17" & a 120/65/17 tyre (i'll check this to be sure & let you know)

The only bike i can think of offhand that had a 3 spoke 18" rear wheel was the gsx1100g shafty from somewhere around 1990, cant remember the front size though
                    Tone,
                    The much sought after and rare 88 GSXR 1100 wheels are as I listed them:

18x4.5" three spoke rear
                    18x2.75" three spoke front

These are what I have on my ED with

170/60-18
                    110/80-18

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                      I dont think so..
                      correct all of the 1st gen GSXR's were 18" wheels

Comment

Do you know anything about the 750 Katana wheels & frontends that fit ? The front & rear wheels on my 83 GS1100S are the 3 spoke with 120/70ZR17s up front & 170/60ZR17s on the rear

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
                          Do you know anything about the 750 Katana wheels & frontends that fit ? The front & rear wheels on my 83 GS1100S are the 3 spoke with 120/70ZR17s up front & 170/60ZR17s on the rear
                          So you have an 83 Big Kat with stock forks and 17" wheels? Got any pictures of the setup?

Most any GS suzuki front end will fit the frame, the issues is wheels, rotors and calipers and if there is enough room under the fender.

Comment

Ill be honest with you, I dont know what I have. Ill see if my kid can show me how to post pictures of the front & back

Comment

See if this pic posted

Comment

rear wheel

Comment

Working...
                                X