Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GSXR Wheel Selections

Great info Jim, Clicked and save. There has many times I could have used this for reference. Appreciate the work.
    83 GS1100ES

tone Guest

Hmm dunno about the USA but here in the UK an 88 1100 only ever came with a 4.5"x 17 rear wheel (160/60/17 was the stock tyre from memory )

Fronts were 3x17" & a 120/65/17 tyre (i'll check this to be sure & let you know)

The only bike i can think of offhand that had a 3 spoke 18" rear wheel was the gsx1100g shafty from somewhere around 1990, cant remember the front size though

Beaver Guest

Ok. Let me get this straight then. I am looking on ebay at a GSXR1100 '88 mostly because it is complete with axle, both crowns and clipons (wreckers don't normally like selling you too much at once so this is a little exceptional) and I want it because it gives me access to the curved 3 spoke wheels. It does give rise to 2 issues though. One, I can only use 18" wheels cause it has a 17mm front axle and all the smaller wheels that come after ('89 forwards) use 20mm front axles. Is this really a problem or would my '79 GS1000 benefit from a little extra ground clearance with 18" wheels instead of 17"?

I can see that there are way more 17" tyres to be found for example than 18" and at better prices too. Is this something to consider?

P.s. the auction ends in 22hours so I don't have a lot of time to wait for answers

Cheers

posplayr is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Ok. Let me get this straight then. I am looking on ebay at a GSXR1100 '88 mostly because it is complete with axle, both crowns and clipons (wreckers don't normally like selling you too much at once so this is a little exceptional) and I want it because it gives me access to the curved 3 spoke wheels. It does give rise to 2 issues though. One, I can only use 18" wheels cause it has a 17mm front axle and all the smaller wheels that come after ('89 forwards) use 20mm front axles. Is this really a problem or would my '79 GS1000 benefit from a little extra ground clearance with 18" wheels instead of 17"?

I can see that there are way more 17" tyres to be found for example than 18" and at better prices too. Is this something to consider?

P.s. the auction ends in 22hours so I don't have a lot of time to wait for answers

Cheers
    Ground clearance and avoiding the complexities of USD forks fitment are the main reasons for doing the 18" wheels. The 88 1100 is the widest (4.5x18") OEM wheel.

I have a spreadsheet that basically calculates out a 0.8" drop using the RSU 86-88 forks and 18" wheels. In comparision the longest 92-93 1100 USD forks and 17" wheels drop you about 1.3". If you go 750 forks then you loose about 1.8". It is hard to make that up unless you do Mono shock or 4:2:1 headers.

It is possible to put the 17" wheels on the RSU 17mm axles (apparently using spacers) but I have never seen the parts Salty Monk is working this now.

Pos
    Read about Charging Quick Test GS Charging Health GS Stator

"The smallest giant of mankind, is he who stands on the shoulders of a larger giant who himself stands on the shoulders of yet a larger giant, and therefore sees the most light from GOD." Posplayr 2017 adapted from : Bernard of Chartres

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

My setup came with 17" wheels so I'm not much use either but seems to be a case of bearing bushes (or bearing swap would work too) & spacers - that's it.

Dan

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Beaver Guest

Thanks for the help guys, that was just what I needed to know. I think I will try for the 88 fork, I am not wanting a USD fork at all and I think I can get a good deal on this one

TheCafeKid Guest

i have some 17" straight spoke, 5.5 rear wheel and front for sale if you end up needing them..

posplayr is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by salty_monk View Post
    My setup came with 17" wheels so I'm not much use either but seems to be a case of bearing bushes (or bearing swap would work too) & spacers - that's it.

Dan
    Dan,
    So you have RSU, with 17" wheels and 20mm axles?What year model fork? What is the length of the forks (center of axle to top of tube)?

from the OSS site they say the 89's are pretty short. The 86-88's are all 30.25" which doesn't correlate well with the 648mm listed.

year length diam
    GSXR 1100 86-88 648 41
    GSXR 1100 89 588 41

Jim
    Last edited by posplayr; 07-07-2009 at 02:31 AM.
    Read about Charging Quick Test GS Charging Health GS Stator

"The smallest giant of mankind, is he who stands on the shoulders of a larger giant who himself stands on the shoulders of yet a larger giant, and therefore sees the most light from GOD." Posplayr 2017 adapted from : Bernard of Chartres

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

I measured them at 30.25" the other week so I guess that makes them a 86-88. No idea what year actually. They were someone else's discarded project.

Yes, 20mm axles sounds about right as a guesstimate without going out to measure.

Dan

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

rdauenhauer Guest

Default Wheels

Was there ever a 6 spoke style FRONT (like the 86-87 GSXR) that was available in 17"?