No announcement yet.

GSXR Wheel Selections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTT....ok, so you folks have the wheels mapped out beautifully, but is there any info for wheel/brake swap folks?
    Wondering what the various GSX-R rotor spacing is {rotor center to center}, bolt patterns {5 or 6 and then the wide pattern types past '08?}, and rotor diameters thru various models?
    I'd like to compare all that to GS wheel/rotor with offset specs. Reason is I want a GS wire front wheel for my '95 GSX-R USD forks and am searching for a 6 bolt rotor with offset or spacers to match GSX-R brakes and calipers.
    Wire wheels and USD forks on my '80 1000G would be a one off bike. Already have the 1400 intruder wire rear wheel for the hub.

Comment

This set up look good.
      Marc

xm3409.jpg
      AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
      1978 GS1000C X2
      1978 GS1000E X2
      1979 GS1000S
      1979 gs1000
      1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
        BTT....ok, so you folks have the wheels mapped out beautifully, but is there any info for wheel/brake swap folks?
        Wondering what the various GSX-R rotor spacing is {rotor center to center}, bolt patterns {5 or 6 and then the wide pattern types past '08?}, and rotor diameters thru various models?
        I'd like to compare all that to GS wheel/rotor with offset specs. Reason is I want a GS wire front wheel for my '95 GSX-R USD forks and am searching for a 6 bolt rotor with offset or spacers to match GSX-R brakes and calipers.
        Wire wheels and USD forks on my '80 1000G would be a one off bike. Already have the 1400 intruder wire rear wheel for the hub.
        Over at gixxer.com, they have a pretty extensive cross compatibility thread in the oiler section.

Last edited by posplayr; 10-15-2017, 02:12 AM.

Comment

You might find a few answer here:

I suppose however that you will not be able to see the pictures but let me know which ones you'd like to see.
          sigpicJohn Kat
          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
          GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
            You might find a few answer here:

I suppose however that you will not be able to see the pictures but let me know which ones you'd like to see.
            I probably should have cross linked a long time ago .

i will add a link in the first post.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              I probably should have cross linked a long time ago .

i will add a link in the first post.
              Not to worry Jim!
              I hope you are still going strong?
              sigpicJohn Kat
              My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
                This set up look good.
                Marc

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52957[/ATTACH]
                Hmmm I'd say one disc too few up front...but I love the fender and mount!

Comment

Not to worry Jim!
                  I hope you are still going strong?
                  Doing fine John. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Ok, my new to me 6 pot calipers came in yesterday, and as a refresher, they're going on my '95 gsx-r 1100w front end for my '80 GS1000g.
                    Does anyone happen to know the hub width of the gsx-r front wheel...sans rotors?
                    I've just measured the rotor spacing on my GS mag wheel and got 118mm outboard edge from each to each. I figure to subtract, say, 6mm for half rotor thickness' to get a centerline, and that would give me a GS disc centerline of 113mm. {roughly} I'd also assume that the GS wire wheels would have the same specs.
                    I'm looking for either an offset spec for new rotors or the amount I'd need to move either the rotors or calipers {or split the difference} for a GS wire spoked rim with 310-320mm rotors that'll bolt up to the GS hub.

Comment

Ok, my new to me 6 pot calipers came in yesterday, and as a refresher, they're going on my '95 gsx-r 1100w front end for my '80 GS1000g.
                      Does anyone happen to know the hub width of the gsx-r front wheel...sans rotors?
                      I've just measured the rotor spacing on my GS mag wheel and got 118mm outboard edge from each to each. I figure to subtract, say, 6mm for half rotor thickness' to get a centerline, and that would give me a GS disc centerline of 113mm. {roughly} I'd also assume that the GS wire wheels would have the same specs.
                      I'm looking for either an offset spec for new rotors or the amount I'd need to move either the rotors or calipers {or split the difference} for a GS wire spoked rim with 310-320mm rotors that'll bolt up to the GS hub.
                      The GSXR 1st gen wheel has a C to C disk spacing of 137 mm with 21.5 mm offset disks.
                      Data on more recent GSXR's can be found on Oldschool suzuki's site.
                      Here's one article on the subject:
                      sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

The GSXR 1st gen wheel has a C to C disk spacing of 137 mm with 21.5 mm offset disks.
                        Data on more recent GSXR's can be found on Oldschool suzuki's site.
                        Here's one article on the subject:
                        http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/?s=GSXR+fork+and+calipers
                        Thanks John. in a day or so I'm going to get the bolts to mount the calipers to my forks, then use the caliper halves as my needed C to C disc spacing target measurement. Given the two measurements I can start locating discs.

Comment

Ok, so time for another question to ask those that know- oem wire or cast rims have 42mm OD x 15mm ID x 13mm width wheel bearings....and of course run a 15mm axle.
                          To swap to a GSX-R front end that has a 20mm axle...and still use GS rims...I can find 42mm OD x 20mm ID x "12mm width" bearings...ID/OD specs are fine but the width is a tad thinner...can I suffer the 12mm width of the available bearings or look into a slightly larger OD bearing that's 13mm wide and have a machine shop open up the hub a little? {risky if off center}
                          What have you guys done for bearings in such a swap?
                          ...and for the inner spacer tube between the bearings as well?...new alloy spacer tube made?

Comment

does it have a speedo drive? If not just machine 1mm longer spacers

Comment

One thing you have to keep in mind is the caliper thickness when using spoke wheels. IE: rear of caliper hitting the spokes. We did brothers EFE and it ended up having about 8mm spacers to step out the discs

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                                does it have a speedo drive? If not just machine 1mm longer spacers
                                Yes...I have iether the GS or the GSX-R drive {same ratio / '95 GSX-R 1100w}.

Comment

Working...
                                X