Mount GS1100ED Fender on GSXR 1100 RSU Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mount GS1100ED Fender on GSXR 1100 RSU Forks

Most times people put 1st gen slabbie forks on their bike, they swap the fenders to the Gixxer fenders to match the fork. This is kinda cool, but I'm preferring to leave the body parts on my ED stock. The stock wheel uses a 100/90-19 tire and the 1st Gen Gixxers used a 110/80-18 wheel. The fender is about 1/2" wider as well. I dont think the ED fender would ever fit around a 120/80-17 wheel

I have trial fitted the ED fender onto a GSXR fork, and think I can have mounts welded to the forks to support the stock ED fender mount. I have about 0.3" of clearance all around, and about 7/8" clearance (v.s. about 1") at the ends of the fender. I was not going to try and mount a fork brace to the same mounts.

So the question is with going from a bias ply 100/90-19 to a radial 110/80-18 and probably loosing about 1/4" max on either side am I going to rub somewhere. At this point I'm pretty much committed to doing it as the down side is I have welded nubs but have to go back to a Gixxer fender. The only reason for me not to do it is if someone already knows where there are issues. Alternatively I could raise the cross brace which would lift the fender some to potentially add additional clearance.

I'm doing this in lue of my other approach to modify a stock Gixxer fender to have that charateristic side light that the EZ/ED F fenders have.

Could a person cut two ED fenders front to back off center (one to the left of center and the other to the right of center) ..

Put the two wide halves together and refinish them creating a wider ED fender?

Comment

The fender on my 83750ES is currently fitted around a 120 tyre so yours might be wide enough. That's on the stock front end & 16" wheel though.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

only thing i could think of with the bigger tire that maybe a rock could get wedged in there easier

Comment

Ive had the same dilema you have. I didn't think a gixxer fender would flow with the rest of the bike, and with a 120 up front, the stock fender wouldnt fit. I found a nice wide fender off a Honda Shadow and made brackets for it. Turned out nice.

In your situation... I'm wondering if a Suzuki Marauder fender might work for you. They come with inverted forks, so maybe they would adapt to yours??? Just throwin out suggestions.

Comment

So the question is with going from a bias ply 100/90-19 to a radial 110/80-18 and probably loosing about 1/4" max on either side am I going to rub somewhere
            Well,
            Guys I measured again more carefully and I will have a minimum of 10 mm clearance all around. Since I'm going from a 19" fender to an 18" wheel there is more room than you would think.

Basically the tire would have to flex 10 mm to run on the side of the fender. Not likely

Also as far as rocks, since the fender is plastic , dont think things will relly get wedged as the fender will just flex.

Comment

I should say, this all worked out fine i detailed the modification in my Gixxer conversion thread and there have been no tire clearance issues.

Comment

Working...
              X