Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaft or Chain... that's the question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
    Brett, removing the rear wheel on a shafty is not bad at all, plus you do not have to re-align you rear wheel every time after installing the tire with those silly bicycle type chain adjusters.
    On my chain drive bikes, you remove one nut, and the rear wheel is off. Not so with a shafty.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
      ...when are you coming back from "the dark side" and going to quit "wasting" your time on dinosaur technology and that silly car thing.
      NEVER, I SAY, NEVER!
      The whole debate is debateable, of course. I see no real advantages to the shaft drive other than the cleanliness. I see multiple disadvantages, including weight, handling, and fuel economy. Which are the primary reasons I ride a bike vs. driving my air conditioned car.
      I have only owned 18 bikes (the GS being the 17th and the GPz the 18th) and I have always had chains. So I am far from an expert on the shaft drives, other than watching the old Beemers jack themselves up in the curves. But I look on suzukicycles.org and indications are that the shaft drive adds 50-60 lb. to our already obese bikes. Or put another way, if we put an 850G on a scale, it would probably weigh as much or more as my beast, while being 25%-35% down on power. No thanks, grandma.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        NEVER, I SAY, NEVER!
        The whole debate is debateable, of course. I see no real advantages to the shaft drive other than the cleanliness. I see multiple disadvantages, including weight, handling, and fuel economy. Which are the primary reasons I ride a bike vs. driving my air conditioned car.
        I have only owned 18 bikes (the GS being the 17th and the GPz the 18th) and I have always had chains. So I am far from an expert on the shaft drives, other than watching the old Beemers jack themselves up in the curves. But I look on suzukicycles.org and indications are that the shaft drive adds 50-60 lb. to our already obese bikes. Or put another way, if we put an 850G on a scale, it would probably weigh as much or more as my beast, while being 25%-35% down on power. No thanks, grandma.
        Actually, an 850G (or 1000G) weighs about 50 lbs more than an 1100E.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

The 850G was the HEAVIEST GS ever produced (not including the GK with all that added baggness) Even heavier than its 1000 and 1100cc counterparts...why? I dunno... But, I have them both. I have worked on them both. Changing the tire on a shaftie is EASIER, but only if you know what you're getting into, and how to go about it the most effecient way. Which do i prefer? Well, so far, Ive blown thru 2 wheel splines in less than 10K miles on a GS shaftie. Granted they were both the old POS ones, but i dont think that qualifies as any less mainainence to me... Ive gone thru one chain and sprockets on my 1100ES, and I whip the living chit out of that thing.

Yes, its cleaner to change the tire on the shaftie, but only pansy's worry about "staying clean" when theyre working on a fantastic piece of machinery such as a GS. Why, my girl even works on em, and she doesnt worry bout getting filthy. And she's a girl!

Now dont get me wrong, I like each for their specific design. If im going on a long trip, and I wanna Lawrence Welk it down the highways, two lanes and whatnot, in comfort and style, I will take the shaft drive.

But, if ive got my devil horns on, slobbering and drooling hair on fire waving the conquering sword and screaming like a scalded banshee, diving out of the sun guns a blazing squid hunting...I will take the chain drive thanks
          Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2009, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Had them both. If you're looking for light weight get a chain. Looking for smooth quiet power buy a shafty.

Ever had a shaft let loose and wrap up into a rear wheel skid at 60mph+ ?

No, me neither.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
              On my chain drive bikes, you remove one nut, and the rear wheel is off. Not so with a shafty.
              Nope, you have to remove THREE! Three whole nuts!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                No, me neither.
                Ever had a chain let loose and wrap up into a rear wheel skid at 60mph+ ?
                No, me neither. But I may be a rookie with only +150k miles on chain bikes.

How am I doing, Brian?

Comment

Had them both. If you're looking for light weight get a chain. Looking for smooth quiet power buy a shafty.

No, me neither.
                  My step dads buddy had that happen, at about 30mph...killed him. Kinda a freak thing, but it HAS happened....

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    Ever had a chain let loose and wrap up into a rear wheel skid at 60mph+ ?
                    No, me neither. But I may be a rookie with only +150k miles on chain bikes.

How am I doing, Brian?
                    You need to spend more time in the dirt!

Comment

No, me neither.
                      Actually, I believe dpep had a drive shaft lock up on him and send him into a skid. I don't remember all the details of what he found when he examined it. Maybe he'll see this thread and chime in on it.
                      sigpic

SUZUKI:

Comment

Actually, I believe dpep had a drive shaft lock up on him and send him into a skid. I don't remember all the details of what he found when he examined it. Maybe he'll see this thread and chime in on it.
                        I would bet he lost the oil in the secondary box. Steve's sons 850 had a leak in the secondary, locked up on him on a test ride. We put it up on the centerstand in the garage, and I ran it thru the gears, letting it spinn untill it did it again. Without oil, or with low oil, the gear box will function untill it gets hot, then it seizes up. Stopped it dead. Could be dangerous depending on where and when it happened, as Don found out. Yet another reason to take a chain drive bike...

Comment

I would like to know as well. That is one maneuver that I care not to repeat.

Comment

Chains perform better, but wear out, and have to be heavily maintained.

Shafties are heavier and inflexible (can't change sprockets), but they are low Maint and last pretty much forever.

Pick your poison.

Comment

To me, the biggest advantage that one drive has over the other is that you can inspect a chain and sprockets in a few minutes, and instantly know if something is wrong.

Not so with a shafty.
                              sigpic

SUZUKI:

Comment

#21 Today, 09:25 AM TheCafeKid Nope, you have to remove THREE! Three whole nuts!!
                                Ah hah, just as I suspected, shafties have more nuts than chains.
                                82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                                81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                                83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                                06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                                AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Working...
                                X