Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaft or Chain... that's the question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
    Ah hah, just as I suspected, shafties have more nuts than chains.
    Well I dunno about YOU, but i prefer not to play with nuts...or shafts for that matter

Comment

Performance oriented riders (and usually mechanically inclined) will vote for chains. Convenience oriented riders (and usually high mileage riders) will vote for shaft drives. Some riders will just argue, err, debate no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
        You need to spend more time in the dirt!
        I had a 77 CanAm 250 (rotary engine model) and a 78 RM125C. Rode until 1984 when I went back to college to get my engineering degree. Never lost a chain on either of them, either. Did a lot of air time (WOOHOO) and spent a lot of time wrenching, cleaning the sand out of bearings and changing rings and such. But not rewrapping or unwrapping a chain. My biggest problem was that I sucked as a motocrosser, plus it is expensive to stay current, so I spent a lot of time just off-roading it.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          Performance oriented riders (and usually mechanically inclined) will vote for chains. Convenience oriented riders (and usually high mileage riders) will vote for shaft drives. Some riders will just argue, err, debate no matter what.
          No we won't! Yes we will!
          I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            The 850G was the HEAVIEST GS ever produced (not including the GK with all that added baggness) Even heavier than its 1000 and 1100cc counterparts...why? I dunno...
            The 850 engine had the kick starter in '79, and the head has more material than the 1000 and 1100 (smaller bores on the 850, same sized engine).

These two differences added about 15 lbs to the bike. The later version of the 850G was essentially the same weight as both the 1000G and 1100G.

Dry weights of each bike (from Suzuki brochures and magazine tests):

'79 850G - 557 lbs
            '80 1000G - 543 lbs
            '83 850G - 540 lbs
            '83 1100G - 545 lbs
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
              The 850 engine had the kick starter in '79, and the head has more material than the 1000 and 1100 (smaller bores on the 850, same sized engine).

These two differences added about 15 lbs to the bike. The later version of the 850G was essentially the same weight as both the 1000G and 1100G.

Dry weights of each bike (from Suzuki brochures and magazine tests):

'79 850G - 557 lbs
              '80 1000G - 543 lbs
              '83 850G - 540 lbs
              '83 1100G - 545 lbs
              Well there ya have it. Plain and simple black and white facts ladies and gents... Cant do better than that.

So where does that leave us?

850 shaftie= overweight, yet stupendously durable while not quite as nimble, yet suprisingly so, Caddy of the GS world

1100E= sleek, deadly, might end you in a back brace, dont take it for long trips (unless you LIKE that sort of thing..i do) MIGHT end you in the morgue, cat like Ferrari of the GS world...

Pick your poison..

Comment

By the way, the dry weight of the '83 GS1100E is listed by Suzuki at 522 lbs., only 35 lbs lighter than the original 850G. However, once you add in the larger tank capacity and the drive train oil of the 850G (hopefully nobody tries to ride one dry), the wet weight of the 850G is about 50 lbs more than the 1100E.
                Last edited by Griffin; 07-06-2009, 11:17 AM.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

By the way, the dry weight of the '83 GS1100E is listed by Suzuki at 522 lbs., only 35 lbs lighter than the original 850G. However, once you add in the larger tank capacity and the drive train oil of the 850G (hopefully nobody tries to ride one dry), the wet weight of the 850G is about 50 lbs more than the 1100E.
                  I thought the tank caps were the same at 5.8??

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    I thought the tank caps were the same at 5.8??
                    Have you ever actually put 5.8 gallons into your 1100's tank? I've put 6.1 gallons into my 1000G's tank when it was bone-dry. I know my brother ran his 1100E's tank dry (I had to ride to a gas station and fetch him a gas can full of gas) and as I recall, he only got a total of 5.4 gallons into it.

I'll have to call and double check with him, but I believe those numbers are correct. He'll remember, he keeps a log book of every drop of gas he's ever put into every vehicle he's ever owned.

I remember he was ****ed because he couldn't get the "full" rating amount into it, and blamed the shortness of capacity for his calculational error .
                    sigpic

SUZUKI:

Comment

Nope. But i dont know exactly how far my reserve will get me either. Most ive ever put in it was 5gal, but i dont hit reserve untill about 4.5 is gone. BTW you'll never get that last 1/4-1/2 gallon out of the tank before the bike is sucking air, so throw that out the window...

Comment

For me I hate the jacking effect on a shafty. Unless it's to turn one over for profit I will never buy a shafty for personal use. The maintenance is a non issue for me. If you use a X-ring chain 30k life is possible and for how much I ride that's is a long time. I am the mechanically inclined type. Dan

Comment

It's a different feel for sure (shafty). Especially the loss of that feeling of the rear end dropping and grabbing hold when you roll the throttle. You get used to it though.

Comment

I have had a few shafties and love them, sure they weigh more but over the long run I like ease of maintenance, or lack thereof compared to chains. Maybe it's the old man in me. I am mechanically inclined for sure and most of my bikes have chains, it seems every bike I get needs new chain and sprockets!

Comment

It's been quite a while since I owned a chain-driven bike, but I recall the biggest PIA was constant adjustment as the chain wore. Then, more likely than not, this would screw up the wheel alignment and you'd go down the road with rear tire sideways (if only slightly). This in turn would wear out the rear tire prematurely. I don't miss that at all.

As others have said though, it's a matter of your bike's purpose in life that determines which final drive works best.

Comment

I like them both. They each have their purposes.

Having been a chain kind of guy exclusively for a quarter of a century, and being relatively new to the shaft side, I can tell you one thing I'm not looking forward to on my shafty -

Removing the rear wheel to change the tire. Reading the procedure for how to do it in the manual looks like it'll be a pita.

It's MUCH easier than on a chain bike. Nothing to align or adjust when you reinstall. To pull the rear wheel, yank the axle (which usually requires undoing the top shock bolts, same as chain drive bikes with stock exhausts), undo brake torque arm bolt, and you're done.

And only two wheel bearings to deal with.

When you remove the rear wheel of a G model, it's a lot easier if you put the centerstand on a board or take some measure to create slightly increased clearance at the rear -- it's a lot easier to yank the rear wheel out that way.

When we change those tires, you'll see -- easy peasy.
                                Last edited by bwringer; 07-06-2009, 03:12 PM.
                                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                                X