Rear brake "clicks" or "pops" into place when braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brake "clicks" or "pops" into place when braking

Occasionally when I'm coming to a stop I can feel the pedal on my rear brake "click" or "pop" into place as I'm pressing downward -- almost like it's suddenly catching. Doesn't SEEM to affect the braking and I don't feel any locking up of the rear wheel.

Can't tell if this is just a pedal quirk that a cleaning and oiling will fix up, or if it's more serious.

Anyone ever had this happen or know of any reason this might start happening?

'82 GS450T, FYI.

Kat

Sounds like the caliper is hanging up slightly at the rear wheel. Just to be on the safe side...I'de pull it apart and clean things up.

Comment

Actually, according to the fiche at Alpha, there is no caliper.

That's right, drum brake on the rear.

You might want to take it apart to make sure that the lining has not come off the backing plate, and also make sure that everything is as snug as it should be, all spacers in the right places, etc.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sounds like the brake shoe might have a lip worn on it to me... It could also perhaps be at the end of it's life & jamming at the extreme of the piston (not 100% sure of the design inside there but it's possible). The piston could also be corroded & jamming up. You could have some junk in the system that is blocking the fluid flow & popping out of place when fluid pressure is high enough.

You need to take it apart to find out what's going on in there.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I just took it for a ride around the block and it seems that the click only happens when I press roughly on the pedal as if doing a quickstop -- I push down, it is smooth for the first 3/4, then the 'pop', then it travels the rest of the way. If I do a slow, smooth pressure I neither hear nor feel it.

I was really hoping to not have to take it apart, but it sounds like you're all in agreement. I might look to have a mechanic do it -- I don't have much experience meddling with brake systems. Anyone have a notion of what an examination and cleaning like that might cost?

Comment

Also, some more specs on my bike if they're helpful:
            - 82 GS450T like I said
            - 13500 on the odo
            - just had the stator and regulator replaced and the bike given a pretty good lookaround at a mechanic's since I bought it last month.
            - it'd been garaged for a good while, cosmetically it's pretty sound but a dent in the tank from getting punched by a car a few years back. The bike didn't suffer much but a few scrapes.
            - i don't have much else in the way of history on it, sadly. bought on the cheap from a guy leaving the country.

Maybe that'll help in the diagnosis, I don't know...

Comment

Originally posted by katparr View Post
              I don't have much experience meddling with brake systems. Anyone have a notion of what an examination and cleaning like that might cost?
              Somewhere between the price of a piece of sand paper or the price of new linings... get the hint?
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I was going to say "good luck at getting a mechanic to look at it", but then you said you had already been to one for something else.

A smaller shop or private mechanic would be more willing to look at it than a dealer. In fact, many dealers have a 'ten year rule'. Anything older than ten years does not make it past the front door. Their reasoning is that bikes are generally neglected, outdoor toys, so many of the bolts will be rusted into place, and they will not be able to do the work without some very time-consuming bolt extractions, which really cuts into their bottom line.

Dan (Salty Monk), there is no fluid in his rear brake system. It's a drum brake operated by a rod attached to the brake pedal.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't know about your bike, but had a Honda with worn out rear shoe's lock up for a split second when the piston extended to far. Long enough to fall over at a stop sign around 5 mph. Just fast enough to scratch things up. Take an afternoon to pull the wheel off and check things out. No need to get scratched up.

Comment

Sounds like your shoes have worn too low and the cam inside the drum is able to pop past maximum opening.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Easy job

Pull the rear wheel from bike

Pull out brake plate

Look at brake shoes

Take pictures and post

OOps, forgot

#1 Get new brake shoes
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Could be the brake arm slipping on the splines, also. Have you checked to see that the pinch bolt is tight?

Comment

And make sure the brake lever pivot is greased. Sometimes these get rusty and hard to move and do some odd things.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thank you -- all of you. This GS forum is really an awesome resource.

I will have a chance to take a close look at the brake assembly on Friday - shoes and bolts and levers -- and will report in with photos and info then. Keep your fingers crossed this is a easily fixable issue. Because you know what sucks about 10 year rules at bike shops? When they "bend" the rule but then charge you extra just to take a look! Sigh.

Comment

Working...
                            X