82 1100 glz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100 glz

I just got this bike from my father in law, He hasn't ridden it since 2001 its been sitting. I have changed the Fuel and oil and plugs and battery, at first it fired up after some work. I noticed fuel coming out of the carb air inlet I took apart the carbs and sprayed everything with Carb cleaner. Put everything together except a black plug, two of which were seemingly melted. I cleaned out the black goo and put it all back together, now I can get the beast to run at all. I can get it to run for a moment but when I even try to open the throttle, it dies. the only way to get it started is by blowing air into the overflow tubes.

Needless to say I have no clue and have no way of getting this bike to a shop. I NEED HELP... this is the place to get it, I am sure

Well, until BassCliff comes along with the official , you will have to settle for this.

Now for your carb problems.
    You will definitely have to remove the carbs and clean them. You may think you have cleaned them by spraying some stuff around there, but they need to be totally disassembled and dipped overnight, then re-assembled with new o-rings and gaskets. Don't waste any money on carb rebuild kits. They commonly contain inferior parts and not nearly enough o-rings. You can get a complete o-ring kit from a member of the board at www.cycleorings.com . If you need bowl gaskets, you can get them from any of the on-line suppliers found in BassCliff's welcome or from your dealer. You will also need to replace those rubber plugs that melted. In fact, get all four. When the carbs are back together, you will need to do a bench sync to get them opening pretty close to the same time, then get them on the bike. Once they are on the bike you will need to do a dynamic sync, then fine-tune the mixtures.

Overall, it will take about a week, but you will only have to do it ONCE and it's worth the wait. While you are waiting with the bike apart, go ahead and check the valve clearances, too. Chances are that they have not been done, and are past due. Valve adjustment should be done before a carb sync for proper results.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Gabells welcome, I do belive you've found the right place.

I too own an 82 1100 L and its been a wonderful machine. I bought mine new in May of 82 an its carried me through many awesome times. With a little effort, time, and I think modest investment yours will too.

Steve's right, the first thing is get the carbs done. Do them one at a time and give them a full dip. Look at the brass and if its corroaded or in any way lacking, replace it all. Remember, only metal goes into the dip.

Also, if it would be helpful I have Clymers manual, publication M376, as a .pdf file. PM me for details.

.. and please keep this in mind.. the dumbest question is the one you didn't ask.

DC

Comment

Gabells, where are you located? You might have some other GSers in you area willing to lend a hand. I would also suggest while you have the carbs off to go ahead and replace the intake boots and o-rings.
        82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
        AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Well, until BassCliff comes along with the official , you will have to settle for this.

Now for your carb problems.
          You will definitely have to remove the carbs and clean them. You may think you have cleaned them by spraying some stuff around there, but they need to be totally disassembled and dipped overnight, then re-assembled with new o-rings and gaskets. Don't waste any money on carb rebuild kits. They commonly contain inferior parts and not nearly enough o-rings. You can get a complete o-ring kit from a member of the board at www.cycleorings.com . If you need bowl gaskets, you can get them from any of the on-line suppliers found in BassCliff's welcome or from your dealer. You will also need to replace those rubber plugs that melted. In fact, get all four. When the carbs are back together, you will need to do a bench sync to get them opening pretty close to the same time, then get them on the bike. Once they are on the bike you will need to do a dynamic sync, then fine-tune the mixtures.

Overall, it will take about a week, but you will only have to do it ONCE and it's worth the wait. While you are waiting with the bike apart, go ahead and check the valve clearances, too. Chances are that they have not been done, and are past due. Valve adjustment should be done before a carb sync for proper results.

Listen to Steve he speaks the truth. I have been through two racks of 82GS1100GL carbs now and there is only one way to do them and that is the right way.

Get a gallon of Berryman's from your local parts store, this stuff is your new friend.

See/review carb rebuilding series right here on the Resources.

Remove intake boots from engine and inspect the boots themselves and replace the o-rings behind them; this is a must!

While you have all that room, run through the valve check and pull the cam cover off. This too is a must! Get a Clymers manual and a suzuki shim tool. Never use a magnet to remove shims!

Make sure your air box is sealed properly!!! Use one-sided sticky foam from your local homedepot or auto supply store. Make sure the boots and the clamps are in A+ shape, this too is important.

Air box will need a clean filter and to be fully installed before starting or synching.

If you find the little spring nipples on the needles (inside the carb) no longer move, OEM is the only way to go. Too many on here have fought sub-par needles only to do it again with OEM and be completely satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
            Listen to Steve he speaks the truth.
            Most of the time, at least.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Run Baby Run

Please I would like the Manual, I have taken apart way more than I can chew. I am in the process of changing the turn signals too. Oh boy Old wiring and 3 wasps. The float pins all move easily and everything look clean. Anyone suggest a good way to remove old screws? Is their a way to sync the carb at home or must i take it to a shop, moving this beast is not an easy task. I will definitely be in need of some help. I am located in Rochester, NY (Chili). Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Gabells,

You'll find lots of GS lovin' on my website. While you're there, check the links to Mr. bwringer's website and Mr. Matchless' collection of works. Here's my "welcome thang"...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X