Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trans popping out of 2nd under power - OK to finish season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans popping out of 2nd under power - OK to finish season?

OK...well the trans in the 1100E is popping out of 2nd under full power...near redline.

So this means motor out, split cases, repair trans....

Now the first question is, will I do any additional harm if I ride it until the end of the season?
    Let's assume I try not to gun it in 2nd....

Second question...will I need any new parts?
    Or can the dogs be reground??
    Or, most likely, I won't know until it is apart, correct?

BTW....this was most embarrassing when it happened yesterday as I passed a pack of slow ridding Harleys on one of the only twisty roads around here....
    71 between Ottawa and Starved Rock...
    I'm sure they laughed their azzez off when they got to the bar...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
    OK...well the trans in the 1100E is popping out of 2nd under full power...near redline.

So this means motor out, split cases, repair trans....

Now the first question is, will I do any additional harm if I ride it until the end of the season?
    Let's assume I try not to gun it in 2nd....

Second question...will I need any new parts?
    Or can the dogs be reground??
    Or, most likely, I won't know until it is apart, correct?

BTW....this was most embarrassing when it happened yesterday as I passed a pack of slow ridding Harleys on one of the only twisty roads around here....
    71 between Ottawa and Starved Rock...
    I'm sure they laughed their azzez off when they got to the bar...
    Im no expert, but i would think the only possible harm might come from some shavings, but if you are gentle on it in 2nd, i dont see what could really hurt it? Other than popping out and over-revving, but if you're taking it easy on it, *I* would say you should be fine for the rest of the season. But thats just my opinion. Likely, the dogs have gotten this way over time, not just in the last few months or days since you've been riding yanno?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Likely, the dogs have gotten this way over time, not just in the last few months or days since you've been riding yanno?
      Agreed...
      I really haven't put many miles on this bike since I got it running and have really only started pushing it hard recently.
      The first few times it happened, I just thought I hadn't fully engaged the gear...
      But yesterday, I went out and confirmed it on some quiet country roads...

I also confirmed that she runs pretty smooth at 7-8K in fifth gear...
      (But Officer...the speedo only said 85mph)

Comment

I picked up (from ebay) a double backcut V&H tranny from a midget racer a while back for $150 as I had a similar slipped from 2nd occurance. It has some wear but generally looks very good. APE will back cut for both sides for $600

The only occurance I had was sporting with Bill, and I may have not really been well into 2nd gear, and about 7K under hard accel it poped out. Normally it is a missed 1-2 shift for me unless I'm very deliberate.

Anyway, just a ebay tip.
        Last edited by posplayr; 08-09-2009, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Chances are the dogs are just rounded over. I'd ride it. Just take a bit more time on the 1/2 up shift. I'm assuming that it doesn't pop out of gear on deceleration?
          I back cut my gears and some times have trouble shifting at less than full race rpm. Back cutting helps lock the dogs together so they don't slip and the transmission needs to be unloaded to get it to shift. Something to keep in mind

Comment

ride it.
            if you ever need any tranny parts..
            i have 8-10 complete sets(both shafts)for 1100/1150 16v.
            and my name is NOT Ray..hahaha

Comment

Ride it and fix it when it's cold. Ha Ha Ha
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My 1100LT had this problem in 3rd gear some 7 or 8 years ago - I rode it for about a year as it got progressively worse. When I did split the cases, I ended up using parts from a GS850 transmission I had laying around - has been great since.
                -1980 GS1100 LT
                -1975 Honda cb750K
                -1972 Honda cl175
                - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Little late to the party but my SA machineist buddy Dave said he could up and down cuts on trans dogs for around $200. Just throwing that out there. He was a bit baffled at the prices some of these guys were charging....

Comment

Little late to the party but my SA machineist buddy Dave said he could up and down cuts on trans dogs for around $200. Just throwing that out there. He was a bit baffled at the prices some of these guys were charging....
                    can they cut a tranny that's already been rounded off?
                    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                    82 gs1100L probably the next project
                    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I completely blew the trans in my drag bike a few years ago and my guy replaced two gears, one shaft and recut the gears for a 1-2-3 auto, (which is much more work than cutting the dogs), for $200....
                      While I waited...and when he bought carry out lunch the shop, he bought my lunch also...
                      So yes, I think a lot of these prices are mildly inflated.

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                      can they cut a tranny that's already been rounded off?
                      Yes...

Comment

Your buddy Dave is going to have some work coming to him then.. Thanks for the tip

Comment

Working...
                        X