X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
    so what does a dry engine weigh?

a lot. f'ers are heavy old girls.

I also will be providing the drive shaft. The splines will slide right into your final drive. It did with mine that is the twin to yours. you will need to swap over the points from your 82 to this one and everything else will mate right up. I will provide my valve shim kit to whoever might wrench on it unless we can get you a head gasket so that you can swap heads if you want to. That might be easier than getting the stuck studs out.. maybe there is a machine shop that will sponsor you by taking them out. I am thinking that there is two stuck. I do not remember for sure though.

let me think on it tonight though. I might have an even better solution... I do have the twin to your bike with a motor that doesn't need any studs pulled and i adjusted the valves 500 miles ago.. that might be easier. I'll have to yank the bike out of storage and pull the motor though. which will take me tomorrow night. I could have it ready to go monday. That would be a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by shirazdrum View Post
      The trouble is that everything is so expensive here. This beat up GS850 (if it had an argentine title) would sell somewhere around $4000 USD. A simple 125cc bike is 2000 bucks here. uruguay is the same, Chile is worse and Paraguay is so poor that finding a decent bike is almost impossible. And they are all 2-3000 miles away from me.

I'm thinking a new motorcycle, preferably a dual sport is the answer. i can't risk spending the time and money on this bike and having it breakdown in Bolivia next month because i missed a metal chunk hidden in an oil passage.

A Suzuki DR650 would be a perfect replacement but it cost almost $12000 down here. I need the big motorcycle companies to pitch in. i already gave Suzuki a 8 series documentary for free (BBC from Jan, 1st) i hoe they man up and send out a bike. i'll try to call the on monday.

Rich,

Thanks for the email address, i'll shoot him an email right away.

Thanks to all of you for being so supportive, that's another reason i don't want to change the GS because i know i can get the help here anytime anywhere in the world.

2-3000 miles gosh those are twisty roads down there.
      You know if you gave up the bike and rode a donkey like mary on the way to beget Jesus maybe things would go better on your junket.

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
        a lot. f'ers are heavy old girls.

I also will be providing the drive shaft. The splines will slide right into your final drive. It did with mine that is the twin to yours. you will need to swap over the points from your 82 to this one and everything else will mate right up. I will provide my valve shim kit to whoever might wrench on it unless we can get you a head gasket so that you can swap heads if you want to. That might be easier than getting the stuck studs out.. maybe there is a machine shop that will sponsor you by taking them out. I am thinking that there is two stuck. I do not remember for sure though.

let me think on it tonight though. I might have an even better solution... I do have the twin to your bike with a motor that doesn't need any studs pulled and i adjusted the valves 500 miles ago.. that might be easier. I'll have to yank the bike out of storage and pull the motor though. which will take me tomorrow night. I could have it ready to go monday. That would be a lot easier.
        just trying to get ideas on shipping, ups international was like $500 air freight with a guess of 200lbs. be about a week to ship, didnt get into shipping via sea as that could be months.

Also I know sean has the skills and shop to do anything that could ever be needed on these bikes. So IF he has the time maybe he could help with some preshipping wrenching. Again I know much less on this level of work than others, but if we can get an engine I will find a way to get it to him.

Comment

Jared, thanks for all the praise, I really appreciate it. However I think you are giving me more than I deserve. If Mighty13 Pulls the running motor and adjusts the valves, there's not much more I can do, aside from giving it a spit shine.

Also, unfortunately I have very little time these days. Money is something I can spare readily. If you have the time and the will to deal with shipping, I will gladly fork over the cash.

sean
          Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Thanks sean, I know its always a balance of one or the other.

I think his contact at Z1 is going to be able to get him the gaskets if needed, I can build a crate for it and guess you just need to bolt the engine to a wood frame via the engine mounts and bolts.

I will let you and others know how to best chip in on helping with the shipping, probably will just front it to get it to him asap and put out my paypal to reimburse some of the expense.

Anyways, got to get the kids ready for Church. I think I still got Matts # so will give you a call later and see what you are willing to donate and how best to coordinate it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post

I will let you and others know how to best chip in on helping with the shipping, probably will just front it to get it to him asap and put out my paypal to reimburse some of the expense.
              I think most of us in the GSR would be happy to pitch in a few bucks to get this engine to Argentina.
              What's the paypal address, I'm in.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I agree, I am sure that most of the regulars on the site would throw a couple of pennies into the pot to help, we should be able to raise the cash, I don't see why not.
                Can someone get hold of Z1, they are a sponsor on this mission, and they do shipping all the time, they would be able to find out in a heart beat what the shipping would cost, maybe even negotiate a better rate with their shipper, due to the volumes they move, they must spend hundreds of thousands a year on shipping, surely that should carry some weight?

Comment

Good point Flyboy. Im sure Chris is contacting them, he has net here and there and I hope to catch a call from him next time he does.

I would say hold off on anything major till we find out the direction he wants to go. I sent Matt a pm on facebook and will sort out getting all the stuff together.

Thanks for all the support so far, I am sure we can keep this a GS Ride.

Comment

I can make something to ship it in. I'm going to get a pallet from work and I have super strong 1inch thick cardboard to put around it. Could probably get the store to donate some wood for the sides.

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                      Would this engine be an '80 or '82? In addition to the differences you already mentioned for mounting the '80, I wanted to point out that the '80 cam cover will need a different gasket from what Chris has been using. (A different clutch cover gasket too, if he ever needs to get in there.)

Also, it sounds like he needs intake rubber. Is that available, or will Chris need to talk to Z1 about that?
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

with shipping containers probably weighs 250 lbs. If your engine doesn't work out I have an 80-81? 850 motor. Never had it running so I Would have to check compression and adj valves

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                          Would this engine be an '80 or '82? In addition to the differences you already mentioned for mounting the '80, I wanted to point out that the '80 cam cover will need a different gasket from what Chris has been using. (A different clutch cover gasket too, if he ever needs to get in there.)

Also, it sounds like he needs intake rubber. Is that available, or will Chris need to talk to Z1 about that?

I know it takes a different valve cover gasket. The one in the bike is an 82 and it could take me more than a day to get the bike out of the shed it's in and to get the engine out due to a lot of junk piled in the way and other stuff with mostly dead batteries and snow.. plus I wouldn't have any time to do it until wednesday either because that is my first day off. I can get the other one packed up and ready to rock and roll with the drive shaft tomorrow night after work. I may have a set of used but good intake boots. I'll have to look. I'm talking to Jarrod about this so we'll see what we can figure out.

Comment

Just have to say how heartwarming everyone's support is! So grateful and appreciate to each person who chimes in and pitches in whether with encouragement, monetary support, time, parts, knowledge to support getting the bike and the mission back on track!!! You are all so unbelievably AWESOME and so very much appreciated!!!

Comment

I'm all for chipping in to help Chris out. If this turns out to be the coarse of action post up a paypal account to send the cash to. Can't seem to think of a better cause for Christmas spending than this.
                              Rob
                              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I will keep you posted, sent an email to Chris and left a voicemail. Hopefully I will hear back from him today.

If Z1 can help with shipping that would be great, but if not we will find a way to make it happen.

The real question is what Chris wants to do, his North / South American journey is pretty well completed, the rest of the ride was just to get the bike shipped to Africa. At this stage it might be best to consider getting a bike running over there than to ship parts to Argentina just to ship it all across to Africa.

Comment

Working...
                                X