Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has got to be the best "road trip" story ever !!!!!

Great read and what an adventure !!!!
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

While in Guatemala, should you need parts or service, I know of a place that stocks, some GS parts and another that works all types of old big bikes. I will be following your juornal with much interest. I assume we won't have you in this part of the world before Spring?

Comment

Simply amazing! From all of us who have ever wanted to do something like this, I say, good luck brother and be safe!

Comment

It's also amazing to be doing it on a 30 year old motorcycle. A testament to the GS durability

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. It really help keep me going. I'm in whitehorse, Yukon right now and heading for Dawson city tomorrow morning. it looks like that weather is going to be good on sunday and monday so i will start north for the arctic early saturday. The old gal is running perfect and i'm getting the hang of it. i will be heading south from British Columbia heading for Washington. if you have a garage and a backyard to camp at let me know. i need to change my oil and do some work on the bike after the dempster. My route goes through Washington, Oregon, California and Arizona before crossing into mexico. sign up for a garage day or beer fest.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2009, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shirazdrum View Post
              if you have a garage and a backyard to camp at let me know. i need to change my oil and do some work on the bike after the dempster.
              If you navigate poorly and end up coming through Colorado I can hook you up.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

tacoma wa

if you need a garage or nights stay let me know.

Comment

Updated Aug, 30th. Here's the link :http://www.motorcyclememoir.com

You can also subscribe to recive the updates automaticly. On the same page under the sponsor logos you'll find that box.( No junk mail, that's a promiss)

Comment

What a trip you have started. Can't wait to get your next update.

Good luck and stay safe!

Brad bk

Comment

Updated: Sep 4th. Here’s the link: http://www.motorcyclememoir.com/
                      The internet here is so slow that it took 5 hours to update my website. There’s no way to add pictures here so read on my website. Chris

Comment

Wow great stuff. I have been reading this thread and looking forward to your posts. Glad you are alright after that near miss. I admire what you are doing (and very jealous). Keep up the good work.

FYI....He makes it very easy to donate on his web site using Paypal.

Comment

Sep 5tth – sep 6th Top of the world highway

“People who get up early in the morning cause war, death and famine.” Bansky
                          I woke up late again. Dempster took a lot out of me and resting up seemed like a good idea. Lets backtrack to a day or two so when you read this post, you are familiar with the characters.
                          When I got back from the Dempster and met up with Gib again, I found out that he wasn’t the owner of the lodge. Gib Acuna is a Californian who’s been traveling for over a year now and decided to go up the Dempster on his Fat Boy Harley. On his way back he asked for a job and he’s been working at the lodge for a month now. The best way to describe this man is that to say he is a “people person.” He starts a conversation with a dead tree stump if you let him. He loves candy bar (he already ate half my candy collection) and to cap it off, he is the coolest guy you’ll ever meet. Pushing 61, he still jumps around like a 5 year old and has more energy than a humming bird. In 4 days, it feels like I knew the guy my entire life. He offered me his place to stay and as I never say no, I moved in right away. He has shared his employee meals with me ever since I’ve been here and I’m indebted to this man greatly.
                          He had a master plan to build a motorcycle park right at the gate of the Dempster highway, with campsites next to the river, mechanic shop, food service and entertainment! His idea was a brilliant one and the location he had in mind was unbelievable. You can’t go a meter on Dempster without relying on the Klondike River Lodge and he wanted to pitch his idea to the owner of the lodge. I helped him prepare his business plan, made a power point presentation and we worked on the details for a long time. When the show time came, he nailed it and the great news is: Starting from May of 2010, there will be an amazing motorcycle campground at the base of the Dempster highway with full support, from tires to towing and rescue. He is the right man to do it and I’m sure it will be successful. I’m designing his website, logo, and taking care of the computer stuff while he does his construction. I wish him the best of luck.
                          I also met the owner of the lodge; Ross Weitzel. Ross is an interesting sort of guy who does his business on a hand shake. Up here in Yukon, there are no lawyers or legal complications, you shake the man’s hand and your word is your contract. He sponsored my lodging and my meals throughout my stay and reimbursed my camping fees. I liked the place to begin with, now I like it even more. The cook’s name is Brian and being a long time biker, he feeds me every night and supplies the beer while we talk all night and he has more stories than you could imagine. One hell of a nice guy.
                          The most revolting encounter I had was a conversation with a guy name Mario who was dating Christy one of the waitresses. Mario is a German who moved to Canada some years back and is a farmer in Whitehorse, Yukon. He asked me what was all the world hunger stuff about and as I was explaining, he said something that I will never forget. “What happens after we feed everyone and no one is hungry? They are going to want more, they would want to eat beef, they would want a motorbike, and they would want a house. I am not ready to give up what I have so they can get what they want. It’s a cruel reality but that’s how it is. They have to be poor so we can be rich.” Is it the ignorance or the arrogance or both?
                          Brian marinated two moose steaks for me to take along for dinner and after exchanging numbers and emails, I finally got on the road. First stop was Dawson city and I got aboard the ferry to cross the river. Top of the world highway starts from the river bank and goes all the way to Alaska. It’s a gravel road with occasional potholes and some paved patches. The road was OK and the scenery beautiful but to be honest, I didn’t see much of it as I was cold and the wind blew so hard I could barely stay upright. I concentrated on the road and zipped through for hope of lower elevations.
                          At the American border the drama started. At the border crossing, I stopped at the red light. I put both of my feet down and put the bike in neutral and as I raised my head, I noticed the border patrol man in his shack waving at me so I took it as a sign to go to him. I covered the 20 feet or so and stopped at his window and turned the bike off.
                          He asked why I ran the red light and didn’t wait for the green light. I told him that you signaled me to come over and so I did. He said that I was signaling you to stop. I told him I was already stopped and there was no need to signal me to do so. The conversation went on and on as who was right, so I asked him straight up what he wants me to do.
                          He said to go around and come back to the light again and wait till it was green, then approach him. I’m getting pretty ****ed off at this point but I did what he wanted. I crossed into United States and came back into Canada and stopped at the light again. On green I approached the window and this time he asked me why I didn’t stop at the Canadian custom while I was turning around! I told him that I was instructed to turn around and come back to him and he didn’t tell me to do so. He looked at me and said: “You people don’t have a stoplight in your country?”
                          That’s when I blew up and said: well I’m an American and we do have a goddamn stoplight in our country. We also have another thing called the freedom of speech and expression. Watch me exercise it for you; Go **** Yourself.
                          There was a silence and his eyes started to open up so I went on by telling him that he turned me around for no reason and I don’t care if he’s going to let me in Alaska or not. I will write a complain letter to the Department of Homeland Security and will see into it to the end. He looked at me for a second or two and asked for my passport very firmly calling me Sir. I thought to myself that they are going to rip the bike apart but to my astonishment, he stamped my passport with a big caribou stamp and said no hard feelings. We are just testing our new light system. Have a good day.
                          Warning: You should never tell a man to go **** himself if he is the only one with a gun in the middle of nowhere! I got lucky, do it at your own risk.
                          All in all, I enjoyed my stay in the Yukon and met some amazing people. Yukon with little over 30,000 in population is still a wild place. Hope it stays this way…

Comment

Comment

Chris,

Great posts and I'm glad you made your goal on the Dempster

As far as Customs goes, There's always some power mad dick who lets his iota of power go to his head

I had a similar problem some years ago crossing to Victoria, BC. Some Customs guy just out of college wanted to run me in because I declared 3 bottles of wine, but I had 4. I just stared him down and asked if he didn't have something important to do rather than impeding tourism. Off we went.

Keep on riding there. About time you started south
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It's getting cold up here guys, i'm wearing everything i own and still shivering in the morning. I'll do another update tonight, stay tuned. a lot more to come.

Comment

Working...
                                X