Can I ride a 1400cc gs on the street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I ride a 1400cc gs on the street

I have restored and tuned many bikes but I really have an itch to build a really really fast motor which I have never done; but I want to ride the bike on the stree too not just drag it. SO my question is how big and I go on the cc size, I have heard that if I go too big I will have overheating problems, is this true??? I plan to do everything to this motor, port heads, nice valves, springs, and all the goodies. But I definetaly would like to make sure that I can ride the bike on the street. Let me know on this anyone. thanks.

Originally posted by 00. View Post
    I have restored and tuned many bikes but I really have an itch to build a really really fast motor which I have never done; but I want to ride the bike on the stree too not just drag it. SO my question is how big and I go on the cc size, I have heard that if I go too big I will have overheating problems, is this true??? I plan to do everything to this motor, port heads, nice valves, springs, and all the goodies. But I definetaly would like to make sure that I can ride the bike on the street. Let me know on this anyone. thanks.
    Ray will be around soon. 1400 cc is is favorite big bore for street

Comment

i rode a 1500 on the street . good fun but a pain if you run into any traffic where you have to sit for any reason. i slapped the biggest radiator on the front which helped a hell of a lot but it still got quite hot .never overheated though...maybe keep the size down to 1170 for the street with all the usual go faster gubbins

Comment

I plan to do everything to this motor, port heads, nice valves, springs, and all the goodies.
        Make sure to have plenty of money also

Comment

Originally posted by 00. View Post
          Double zero, what are you starting with?
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I have a few katana motors, two motors are 1000cc and two are 1100cc. I believe the 1000cc and 1100cc katanas have the good cranks in them so I was planning building on top of them. And yes I know I will have to dig deep into my pockets for cash; its too bad I got holes in my pockets so usualy I don't find too much cash in them

Comment

I LOVE 1400 cc street motors! Once you've pulled the trigger on one that is dialed in, with the emphasis on torque, you will NOT want to go back to a smaller motor!!! You absolutely will not BELIEVE how much fun one of these is! You will need to do specific things to help cooling & I will help you if you want. PM me for info or call me at 714-356-7845. I build these all the time & know how to make them live. Ray.

Comment

Ray; you don't understand how much a "yes I can put a 1400cc engine on my katana" means to me. I have a 750 katana frame and an 1100cc katana motor so I won't feel bad about choping up the katana since it is a 750 frame only, I know I have to do some frame mods to put the 1100cc engine in the frame but they are simple mods so all is good there. I will call you for sure sometime this month so I can get all the info on the 1400cc motor, I really really want to build one, all my friends say it is impossible to build a street running gs above a 1260cc size; now I have to build the 1400cc and prove them all wrong, yes they are wrong, 1400cc here we come, and all my money where did you go. Good stuff 1400cc...

Comment

I know I have to do some frame mods to put the 1100cc engine in the frame but they are simple mods

no mods required to put the 11 in. slots straight in. may need a new lower engine bracket although ive never bothered with it even with the 1500 that lived inside. a little bracing however to cope with the extra power and torque may be a plan though

Comment

FYI; If you feel the need

Description
                    Item #
                    Price
                    GS750 Lower Engine Brackets to convert 750 to an 1100 or 1150 - SOLD AS A SET ONLYLower engine brackets fit 1980-82 GS750 to install a 1980-1986 GS1100/GS1150 engine.
                    GVW-711
                    7/11 Brackets Powder Coated Textured Black
                    $35 USD including worldwide postage

7/11 Brackets Unfinished
                    $32 USD including worldwide postage

Comment

I said it wrong, yes no frame mods required to put in the 1100cc. It is just the lower bracket that need to be changed, But my frame has a small hole there that is why I was thinking of moding it, but its just because my frame has a problem in that area, it was a brain fart. But yes I think bracing will definetaly be on my to do list when building this. I also thought about turbos on the motor but that is a little out of my engine building skills. I don't know how to set up all the electrics and fuel injection for turbos, and it sounds like it would cost way too much just for the fuel injection. Plus I think an NA motor with a ton of power would be a good start for a first crazy engine build. I just can't wait.

Comment

what do you think it will cost to build such an animal?

a list of parts and suppler to dream and drool over would be cool to look at.

would it run on 92 octane pump gas.

Comment

madmax, call me at 714-356-7845 & I'll give you the run down. Ray.

Comment

make it as big as you can afford!!!!

the key is just keep the total timing advance under 30 degrees and the compression very low !!

stroker crank, huge pistons, the works !!! will live fine as a street pooch

look at the 455 olds engines or 500CI ++ cadilliac's
                            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I'd love to hear about a 1425 being a pump gas all day rider.

Comment

Working...
                              X