"Big Banged" Billet Race Cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Big Banged" Billet Race Cams

Hi all, These have popped up a few times on local auction.

Can anyone tell me what is involved in fitting "Big Banged" Billet Race Cams and what are the likely performance gains and drawbacks?

These have been sitting around in the workshop for far to long so out they go... Unsure of who actually made these, I bought them off Laurie Henley many year...

Big Banged Billet Race Cams = Big waste of your hard earned money. Think you would be better off going with cams from a notable mfg.

Comment

they were talking about on here about a year ago, might be same auction. LIke said in the ad 2 cylinders fire at the same time. these cams would give you a way different power pulse and the bike will be very viberaty i bet. Kawasaki used big bang cams in a race bike of theirs a few years back. check you tube. These cams give the bike a totally differant sound.
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Those cams were done for a speedway sidecar motor I believe.
        The factories have used "big bang" cylinder timing to spread the imtervals between power pulses to improve traction. This was probably worth trying on a speedway chair - they're chronically short of grip.
        But what the revised firing order would do to a built up roller bearing crank I don't want to imagine - even welding wouldn't stop it moving.
        I'd guess they're a very expensive project which failed.

Greg T

Comment

Thanks guys, I did wonder why they weren't snapped up the last couple of auctions

Comment

They are from a chair.
            They were not quite as successful as the builder had hoped.
            The theory was as GT described, problem is the big banged bike was very hard to ride and to keep it on cam. when the revs dropped the bike would fall in a big hole.
            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
              Thanks guys, I did wonder why they weren't snapped up the last couple of auctions
              Colin, that 1100G is fast enough without those cams!!!

He wants $350 for them. I wouldn't touch them at $100.
              The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Cheers guys. Appreciate the comments but I would like another 20 or 40 horsies just the same

Comment

Working...
                X