Not blinking blinkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not blinking blinkers

So i've been searching through this site to try and find an answer but have yet to succeed. I own a 1982 Gs650GL and have had to rewire the bike because when i bought it there was a blown fuse and bad/exposed wiring which shorted and blew all the light bulbs in the turn signals/ didnt let the headlight or brake light work. after rewiring, all the lights come on but the blinkers stay solid instead of blinking when they are supposed too. fyi the previous owner had installed aftermarket blinkers and I have noticed that there are no grounds on any of the four blinkers, could this be causing my problem?? or do you think that since there was the short, it could have overloaded and blown my blinker module, and if so where is the blinker module located???

Thanks!!

What could be causing your problem, but not limited to...

incorrect bulbs used in the aftermarket lamps and not drawing enough current for the flasher to operate properly.

improper grounding of the turn signals.

not enough voltage/current being supplied to the signals; possibly because of bad connections or switches.

bad flasher.
    Last edited by rustybronco; 08-24-2009, 02:29 PM. Reason: ;
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacB View Post
      So i've been searching through this site to try and find an answer but have yet to succeed. I own a 1982 Gs650GL and have had to rewire the bike because when i bought it there was a blown fuse and bad/exposed wiring which shorted and blew all the light bulbs in the turn signals/ didnt let the headlight or brake light work. after rewiring, all the lights come on but the blinkers stay solid instead of blinking when they are supposed too. fyi the previous owner had installed aftermarket blinkers and I have noticed that there are no grounds on any of the four blinkers, could this be causing my problem?? or do you think that since there was the short, it could have overloaded and blown my blinker module, and if so where is the blinker module located???

Thanks!!
      Well if the lights are coming on they are getting ground, so that isn't the problem. What could be the problem with aftermarket turn signals is the bulbs don't pull enough juice to trip the flasher relay.

Check for a good ground, are the lights bright, or dim? What are the wattages of the bulbs used? Do you have the originals, or some like it?

The turn signal relay should be attatched to the battery box, but I don't think that would be the problem. A relay is sort of like a small curcuit breaker, and when enough electricity is pulled through the relay, it breaks the curcuit and the lights go out, when it cools the relay allows the lights to come back on, hence the flasher. So if it was shorted the relay would just lift off (break contact).

Comment

Thanks!!
        check your flasher

Comment

Originally posted by newgsman View Post
          check your flasher
          just kidding. anyone correct me if i am wrong, but i do believe there is ground off the flasher and if that is bad i dont think you would blink

Comment

Sorry its taken all day to respond, I've been out riding

I pulled a bulb and the number on it is 12v4cp. so 12 volt, 4 cp (whatever that is).

Is this what the stock bulbs would be for this bike

Comment

Sorry its taken all day to respond, I've been out riding

I pulled a bulb and the number on it is 12v4cp. so 12 volt, 4 cp (whatever that is).

Is this what the stock bulbs would be for this bike
              You want 23W 12V bulbs both at the front and back totalling 46 watts plus your 4./5 W dash indicator totalling about 50Watts per side
              CP usually means candle power.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                You want 23W 12V bulbs both at the front and back totalling 46 watts plus your 4./5 W dash indicator totalling about 50Watts per side
                CP usually means candle power.
                Got the new light bulbs. For some reason Home Depot had them as microwave light bulbs haha. Thanks so much for helping out! Now I just need to decide what color to paint the bike.

Comment

Got the new light bulbs. For some reason Home Depot had them as microwave light bulbs haha. Thanks so much for helping out! Now I just need to decide what color to paint the bike.
                  So that solved the not blinking blinkers?

Comment

Mine were only blinking at higher rpm. A simple re-grounding of some of the ground wires on my bike fixed it.
                    The headlight got brighter as well. My charging system is also happier.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                    X