Symphony of destruction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symphony of destruction

Well here we go again. Seems the weld job on the #2 and #3 was a little weak.
    The spark plugs had good color and heat range. My guess is that the weld inside the combustion area of the head melted and caused a bit o destruction. I'm visiting the machinest tomorrow.

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Last edited by chef1366; 09-07-2009, 08:55 PM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

wonderful

Comment

WTF dude?? How many times has this thing blown up on you now?? Id start looking for other reasons, maybe some line up issues or something... There is NO WAY I would put up with this. You've got way more patience than I do. If, when I build an 1166 motor, something like THIS happens..I'll be uber peed off..

Comment

Bill, you have the patients of Gandhi. God bless you for staying with the GS community after all you have been though with that engine of yours.

What are you going to do? Put it back together yet again? Seems like something is definitely wrong for that engine to melt down again.

Sorry.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            WTF dude?? How many times has this thing blown up on you now??
            Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Bill, you have the patients of Gandhi. .
            Even Gandhi would have prescribed some Valium. Sorry to see that, Chef.... FWIW, even my friend who built a very fast, massaged 1100E had many such problems along the way, before it was reliable enough for longer trips. He always rode it extremely hard though, which didn't help.....eventually sold it and bought a 'busa.

Tony.
            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Bill, are those what's LEFT of the brand NEW Wisecos I JUST sold you? If so, they look burned up a lot in the same area as the old ones did! Are you SURE where you have the timing? If the timing is too advanced it will do the SAME thing! Is there only one piston that looks like that? If it is 2 & 3 that look like that you are running the timing too advanced! Excessive advance will show up on the hottest running cylinders first. On an 1166 or 1229 motor, it will be 2 & 3. Let me know, Ray.
              Last edited by rapidray; 09-07-2009, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Bill, please put up a picture that shows all 4 chambers in the head. I need to see a pic of all of them please. Ray.

Comment

Also, you have a Dyna S if I remember correctly? It is VERY possible, if you never checked, for 1&4 to be timed correctly & 2&3 to be advanced or retarded from the other 2. Have you ever checked the timing of the 2 pairs independently? Both pick ups need to be set the same & this is in the Dyna S installation instructions. Actually, I believe it is in ALL of Dyna's installation instructions. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    Bill, are those what's LEFT of the brand NEW Wisecos I JUST sold you? If so, they look burned up a lot in the same area as the old ones did! Are you SURE where you have the timing? If the timing is too advanced it will do the SAME thing! Is there only one piston that looks like that? If it is 2 & 3 that look like that you are running the timing too advanced! Excessive advance will show up on the hottest running cylinders first. On an 1166 or 1229 motor, it will be 2 & 3. Let me know, Ray.
                    Dont worry Ray, I degreed the cams according to my NEW High Performance Formula

Oh well maybe 110/110 aint such good idea for a street bike

Comment

Ring land, what ring land.
                      Last time that I saw a piston that looked like that NOS was involved.
                      That is some serious damage!!!
                      That engine, WAS HOT!!!

Eric
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2009, 10:59 PM.

Comment

that was detonating like a mofo.

Comment

Hence, my question about the DYNA S timing, NOT the cam timing, Jim! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            Also, you have a Dyna S if I remember correctly? It is VERY possible, if you never checked, for 1&4 to be timed correctly & 2&3 to be advanced or retarded from the other 2. Have you ever checked the timing of the 2 pairs independently? Both pick ups need to be set the same & this is in the Dyna S installation instructions. Actually, I believe it is in ALL of Dyna's installation instructions. Ray.
                            I'm pretty sure he has checked both sides of teh Dyna as we verified TDC while degreeing the cams as well as measuring the crank twist (virtually nill). He will need to cnfirm but we have dicussed this several times.

Bill was running same 147.5's with one notch leaner on the needle. He said it pinged a little; I never felt it but I rode it mostly at high altitude. We did drop down to the lost coast 0 MSL.

I was monitoring my temp and I was not getting any hotter than usual. I'm at 105/107 though.
                            Last edited by posplayr; 09-07-2009, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Hey Bill,

I think it's time to get you a stock 850G.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X